Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

What operating system do you use? Windows? Mac?
If you use the windows installer, you can specify where you want to put those files, it doesnt matter where.

Well, something is wrong then. I tried putting them in the Basemap folder and Basemap simply does not recognize that they are there. The only maps I can see available are the Global Map and a map named mtg_vm0w. To be honest, I’ve never had this problem before and was thinking I’d forgotten how to do it. I re-downloaded Basemap with no better result.

p.s. I’m using Windows 10. I extracted the file osm_generic_new_tiles in downloads and it automatically put the files into a folder with the same name, also in downloads. I keep feeling I’ve missed something obvious here.

Those tiles zip is not the right file. You need to download the windows version which contains an exe installer which will place it automatically into the right folder.

Thanks! I did that and it worked fine in Basemap. Any idea how I can identify individual maps in Basemap so I can transfer some of them to my Etrex Legend H? I downloaded the whole of B.C. Canada hoping I could identify the individual maps so I could transfer some of them at a time from Basemap to the Etrex depending on which area i would be in. ( I used to do this with MapSource but it won’t work on Windows 10). Or do I have to do this directly from OpenStreetMap?

Sorry but I don’t understand what you mean with individual maps? You seem to have an old gps unit. You can only transfer one map on that unit and the file name must be gmapsupp.img. You can rename it something.img but your device will not recognize it.
Mapsource will work on windws 10, you can download it from http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

I see. I realize you can only load one map at a time. What I did in Mapsource was to highlight the tiles I wanted to download and they would transfer to the Etrex as one file. I was hoping to be able to do the same with Basemap. Thanks for the info on Mapsource.

The Mapsource reference is for the USA. I have Mapsource Canada and can’t find a reference to download a new version of that.

Here you can download a mapsource version that you dont have to install:
http://www.gps-expert.nl/delen/software/garmin/mapsource/MapSource_6.16.3-concurrent_EN.zip
Just unpack it somewhere and execute it.

Problem solved, using the OpenStreetMap Windows files you suggested, and transferring them to the Etrex Legend H using another Garmin program called Mapinstall. Mapinstall allowed me to see the individual tiles in Basecamp, group them and download to the Etrex. l read that Mapinstall was supposed to be part of Basecamp, but I couldn’t find it and downloaded it separately.
The Mapsource files are not as good quality as the original Mapsource files I have on disc, nor to the OpenStreetMap files.
Thanks for your help!

Dear Lambertus,
thank you very much for this project. Currently I’m on a trip through Asia and after one year on the road, I would have one request, which I think would improve the maps a bit:
For whatever reason, the powerlines are shown. I have no idea why this data is included, for navigation purposes I think it is pretty useless or even worse irritating. But it would be amazing, if you could replace them with the railway data. Sometimes this helps to find a place by browsing a map or explain, why it will not be possible to take a shortcut somewhere (or why a road seem to be placed totally unlogical). This data is missing, so it would be great if this could get switched.
Greetings,
MArtin

Hi Martin,
I would recommend the generic new style maps, where the powerlines are removed. The railway network should be visible, if that is not the case, it is not in the osm data.

Hi. I’m probably being really dumb, but I’m never getting the field in which to enter my email address in the “Request your map or download it directly” area after I’ve selected the tiles I’m interested in. Have tried on Chrome and IE. Is there a problem with the web page, or am I missing something?

How big is your selection of tiles, if it is >4 Gb then you get a message “Selected map is too large!” and the e-mail address field will not be available.

The field is only shown when you activate manual tile selection and have at least one tile selected.

There appears to be a bug currently in the JavaScript code behind the interface. When you have a valid selection, it does try to reveal the email fields but the code that is actually revealing the email field is causing an error.

Please report those errors directly to Lambertus, he won’t read this forum often.

What’s the best way to get in touch with him? Private message here?
Also, the site is working again. I think the problem was related to the map rendering servers being offline. I tracked down the error in the JS to trying to find something in a list of servers. Today, I see that they are online, so since it has a list of servers to look at, it worked itself out. :smiley:

Good to hear that the issue is solved already.

Hi,
I am trying to get Kazakhstan map. On the map preview all names are (correctly) in Cyrillic. I downloaded proper *.img file but it shows all names (cities and streets) in latin (English) instead of cyrylic on Garmin device. Is this Garmin (dezl 770) issue or the *.img files are defined English naming only?