osm combiner error

It seems the current version of OSM Combiner (1.7) cannot deal with the latest generated img’s anymore.
If the combining tool fails, please update the mkgmap version in the install directory with mkgmap-r3650 or later (http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/download/mkgmap.html).

A new version is on its way to ligfietser…

Thanks Javawa! The latest version 1.8 is available for download now.

Hello,
Unfortunately the new OSM Combiner 1.8 did not solve the problem for me.
I dowloaded a fresh set of osm_generic_tiles.zip files for the Netherlands, Belgium and France and tried to combine them with OSM combiner 1.8 but consistently get an error message (see below). All steps up to “Start” work, the final step fails and gives the error message.
I use MacOS 10.11.3 with the latest Java installed and allocated 5gb of memory to Java, disk space is plenty.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

— Error message:

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: uk/me/parabola/mkgmap/main/Main : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:621)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
Er is een fout opgetreden. Controleer onderstaande log.

Thanks for reporting Eenzame, maybe OSM Combiner has an out-of-date version of mkgmap and needs an upgrade, I’ll check it out.

Eenzame Fietser, which version of Java are you using?
Please note that Java 6 or lower is not supported anymore.

I just installed Java 8. But what I did find out in the mean time is that the MacOS keeps loading version 6 as well. Probably that is not what OSM Combiner likes.
Problem is that I still need Java 6 for Photoshop to function (really? yes, really! Adobe and Apple are not good friends I guess). But even aside from that, I could not get Java 6 removed. Thursday I have a day off and will experiment some more. Unless someone here has a better understanding of what is going on.
I’ll keep you posted.

Apparently installing Java 8 on a Mac that has Java 6 installed does not automatically replace 6 with 8.
The solution is to open terminal and run:
export PATH=/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin:$PATH

Then log out and back in. OSM Combiner is then directed to use Java 8. And the good thing is that Photoshop runs simultaneously using Java 6, no need to switch back to Java 6 manually.
NOTE: If you need Java 6 on a Mac, please make sure you use the Java 6 from the Apple site. I understand that that is a version of Java with all internet connection possibilities disabled for security reasons, making it perfectly safe to use.

Happy mapmaking!

I have got also a problem with Combiner. I,ve got version 1.8 and installed Java 8. Downloaded a few maps and I like to build Benelux, North Europe and South Europe.
Started with the smalles amount of data, Benelux. But still get these error messages.

These messages are different when I change some settings, such as the memory from Java in the rename field of Combiner.
What can I do to make it work?

I see an Out of Memory Error. How much memory does your computer have?
It also helps if you exclude the gmapsupp compilation.

These are de specs of my computer.

I am not that good with computers, but my endurance is endless. I,m am a very curios person and I want to now en learn it all.
And it is practical to use only the maps you need in your device, so I want to split Europe in different sections.
So, do I have a hardware problem ore software?

Your pc seems ok to do the job. It should handle the Benelux fine with 2000 MB. For whole Europe you need more, 4000MB.
Try it first without the gmapsupp option. You can always send tiles with Basecamp to your gps and the size of a gmapsupp file should not exceed 4 gb anyway. I dont know why you want to use OSM combiner to make gmapsupp’s. It is mainly intended to install maps on your computer.

I don,t, I don,t activate this option. Intention is indeed to make maps for the computer and later send the maps I need to the GPS.
I use by the download the OSM_generic_tiles files and did that all together, so the overlap maps should have the same number.
I,ll keep on trying, but still getting these error reports.

I did another attempt, made some changes. First I changed the location of the map. Combiner made a map on C:\users\leond\Desktop\OSMcombi.
Made a new map on D\Garmin\OSMcombi. This because there is more free space here.
Select de zip.files for Benelux, the extraction went well.
Then I rename the family name, named it Benelux, did not checked gmapsubb option and set the javageheugen on 2000MB
And then I got this message:

I thought that there is no limitation to an empty map on this location. It looks like there is.

Is it possible that you have a 32 Bit JRE installed?

Sorry, what do you mean by JRE?

The Java Runtime Environment

I think that 32 bit was the magic word. I removed the present one and manual made a choice for the 64 bit version. Made a test with Benelux, set the Java memory to 2000 MB and it worked out. I missed a few maps in Holland, but that was maybe a bad download.
So now I am going to build the other maps and keep you informed.
Thanks for your tip.

As promised, I made some beautiful maps. A complete Benelux, North Europe including Germany for passing true and South Europe. This all thanks to you, GerdP.

You’re welcome, thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: