Border Zone

Hi,

I’ve noticed that the border zone between Finland and Russia has been added by user Wetitpig0 here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6794362

I have doubts about whether “landuse=military, military=cordon” is the correct tagging. In my opinion, something doesn’t become landuse=military just because you need a permit to enter; this is a border control issue and not a military issue. But I have no local knowledge so I’m not going to override what Wetitpig0 has been tagging - I just wanted to bring it to your attention so that you can discuss and, if necessary, amend the tagging.

Bye
Frederik

The border zone between Finland and Russia is restricted area. You need a special license to visit your friend if he/she has a home in the border zone.You need such a special license to fish or collect berries there. I think foreign people are not allowed to hunt at all in the border area. On Russian side border zone is much wider than in Finland. 73’s Kai

Ottamatta kantaa tagitukseen, niin ainakin Simpele - Parikkala välillä leikkaa aivan liian pitkälle sisämaahan, noin paikallistuntemuspohjalta. Onkohan lähtödatassa noin isoa virhettä vai mikä lie. Likellä asutusta kun toi menee sata metriä huti, niin siellä on jo paljon teitä ja taloja vyöhykkeellä jotka on oikeasti “luvallisella” puolella.

You should not extend the official german point of view to other countries.
I have been at the three-country (Norway, Finnland and Russia) border marker
near Lake Inari this summer and it is guarded by the norwegian army personnel,
although Norway does not directly impose any border zone at all.
They told me that crossing the norwegian-finnish border in this area is not impossible,
but it will be very complicated, if one tries to fulfill all formalities.

Suomen ja Venäjän rajavyöhykkeelle saa helpommin kulkulupia Venäjän puolelle kuin Suomen puolelle! Jos siis haluat käydä esim. Venäjän Värtsilän kylässä tutustumassa mahdollisiin esi-isiesi tai esiäitisi asumiin seutuihin, luvan saa paikallisesta poliisipiiristä. Suomen puolella vastaavan luvan saa parissa viikossa ja parinkymmenen euron lisämaksulla esim. Venäjän viisumeita välittävistä yrityksistä. Kannattaa käydä tutustiumassa naapurimaiden nähtävyyksiin, onhan se todella eksoottinen kohde monessakin suhteessa. Rajavyöhykkeen leveys Venäjällä saattaa olla jopa 50 km!. If you like to visit border zones, you can get border zone license in Russia easier than in Finland! Consult for border licence at local police station in Russia!