Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Feedback (Don’t need pointers to other OSM sites.):

Server now accepts request for map build and seems to manage the queue. But, once the maps are built (apparently, since the queue is empty) , there is no email sent for the download location (assuming that the map was actually built since the request is no longer in the queue).

We are currently working on the server problems.

The service should be back to normal, thanks to Lambertus who recovered the scripts after a bad hard drive failure.

Hi! Thanks for great work. Is there a way to add house numbers labels to a map?

It is possible but labels are not rendered because it will clutter the map, sorry.
If you click with the mouse on the highway you see the numbers in Basecamp.

Option 1…

If you are familiar with using Mkgmap http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/ , http://osm.thkukuk.de/ has a Mkgmap style that can put a transparent overlay on your map showing the address numbers. The tk-osm file at the bottom of the large table is to be downloaded and used with the Mkgmap program.

You first use JOSM to download and save a small .osm file of the area. If you download a large area you will need to use Splitter too.

The Mkgmap command will look something like this if you use a Mac…

/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -jar /Applications/mkgmap-r3695/mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp --style-file=/Applications/mkgmap-tk-osm/tk-osm/address --style=style --list-styles --transparent --description=“tkaddress” --family-id=7129 --product-id=1 --draw-priority=15 --mapname=71212001 --family-name=“OpenStreetmap Mkgmap” --series-name="Josm " --area-name="default " --route --net --drive-on=left -—link-pois-to-ways --index --housenumbers --add-pois-to-areas /Applications/mkgmap-tk-osm/tk-osm/address/address.txt --output-dir=/Users/xxx/Documents/JOSM/Save_OSM_file/ /Users/xxx/Documents/JOSM/Save_OSM_file/Josm_save.osm

(it is easier to manage if you put all the parameters in a file - Mkgmap documentation for that)

Option 2…

You can also use Turbo Overpass to extract the house numbers…

Then export to gpx and load that to your gpx folder on the Garmin.
Unfortunately, on zooming in far enough to see all the waypoints, it displays the street name too.
I didn’t do this but you could do a search and replace on the gpx file to get rid of text from and including addr:street to and replace with and then only the address numbers would be visible.

It may be possible to adjust the Overpass Turbo query to only extract the addr:housenumber part without the street name but I don’t know how to do it.

Option 3 …

Easier that the above method is to use a smart phone. I use Maps.me and it displays the house numbers on my iphone and I expect that OsmAnd for the Android does too and you can edit the map using those apps.

Yes. But Maps.me also shows the house numbers during navigation, which is useless and clutters the map, making the street names unreadable or very hard to read. I expect that OsmAnd doesn’t, at least without a user setting to disable the “feature”.

Can you please look at the US-Germantown map segment? It’s not delivering zipped files when downloaded; just the individual tile files. I can download other maps just fine. :slight_smile:

Please report this issue to Lambertus. It has to do with a failure in his map compilation, several people are complaining about this already.

Hi,

I’m a Garmin Nuvi user, looking for routable maps for a self drive trip in Japan.

I read the instructions and follow the steps to download the map for Japan. The URL in the email received from OSM, contains only one file (ie. osm_generic_tiles.zip). where can I download this map file (ie. gmapsupp.img) needed for the Gamin GPS?

The options i selected were:

1. Map Type: Generic Routable
  2. TYP file: None
  3. Preferred country: Japan

Many thanks.

Bill, see my comment above

Bill, if your need is urgent, you could try another map provider from those listed on the osm wiki site http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download
Maybe another version from the site you tied may work too I guess.

Ligfietser, I wanted to email to Lambertus, but I’m a new user, so don’t have permission to do so.

Many thanks.

When you request a map you will get an email from him, with a reply address.
Or try to request another map when a new update is available.

Many thanks ligfietser, will email to him directly.

Just to confirm, I’ve been seeing the same issue, where only one type of download file is created (osm_generic_new_tiles.zip) and there is no link to download the Garmin .img file. I’ve just replied to the “download ready” notification email to advise of the problem and steps to reproduce.

I’ve now tried a few different map types, but the result always seems to be the same.

EDIT: Further to this, I just selected a much small area with manual tile selection (just the south east of UK, rather than the whole of the UK) and now the download links generated correctly.

It is still the same here … seems all MAPs for New Style are missing … i requested generation of some Maps (Greece, Albania …) got the tracking id and the completion mail.

But on all Requests where only the osm_generic_new_tiles.zip

Example for Greece:
http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic_new/18-10-2016/042906775a3ab13338af29d1463fc512/

Regards Mario

Looks like there’s some software version mismatches or something - the job log errors when it tries to make the gmapsupp file. Won’t be fixed until the author runs some updates.

I was able to put all the .img tile files it generated into my Edge 810 and it seems to have worked anyway. I didn’t need a lot of tiles though, so ymmv if you have a lot of them.

Getting the TYP file
/home/lambertus/garmin/utils/mkgmap-style-sheets/typ/Openfietsmap lite/20011.typ to ./20011.typ
Building gmapsupp
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: uk/me/parabola/mkgmap/main/Main : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:800)
	at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:449)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:71)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:361)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
	at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)
Zipping gmapsupp
Gmapsupp does not exist!