Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Thanks for you’re response.
this clears a lot.
Te routing is nog bad but the routing of the garmin maps is definitly better when profile is walking of hiking.
workaround is plan the route with Garmin map en then switch to a better map.

I dont know the draw priority of those garmin maps but one suggestion is to make one of the osm maps you like most, unroutable by sending the tiles to your gps with mapsource (without routing info) and select them both. This way you look at the osm map and use the underlying garmin map for routing. Maybe you will have to change the draw priority of one of the maps to make sure the OSM is shown on top. This could be done with gmaptool.

oh wow this is an great tip.
never ever thought of that.

i will try this when i am at home!

Here is an example, just untick the box “Include route Calculation Data”

thanks!
only one problem, when i rename the img file my garmin says cannot unlock maps. and i cannot view the maps.
with basecamp or direct copy this isnt an prpblem but then i cannot unroute them.
When i dont rename the map it works (but then i cannot have several unroutable maps)

Edit:
oké i found the reason of the error.
I had two same maps on my sdcard.

But it doesnt has the outcome as I hoped, only the routable map is showed by the Garmin and not the other map.

This isn’t working any more for me. When I try to build a map I get a new page with:

There are problems with the server, please try it later.

The map server seemed to take my request OK. Sent me the email that my request was ready but won’t allow me access…I get the following 403 error:

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /garmin/generic_new/08-10-2016/ba9d18ed25de08b6500df9eb861bd10a on this server.
Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at sfs4.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de Port 80

Same for me … Using a Mac OS 10.11.6 Tried Safari and Firefox

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /garmin/generic/08-10-2016/776d8f9722a11b14b06eec848d49cc18 on this server.

I don’t know where the problem lies , but I expect your problems are not going to be resolved until Lambertus finds more time to manage the site or other Admins resolve the recent server problems.
In the meantime it might be best to extract your Garmin suitable maps from another provider…
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download
I have found that the BBBike.org ones suit me as I can define my own small region for download that I use mainly for cycling, hiking.
There are many other choices which should suit you until this site is fully functional again.

Feedback (Don’t need pointers to other OSM sites.):

Server now accepts request for map build and seems to manage the queue. But, once the maps are built (apparently, since the queue is empty) , there is no email sent for the download location (assuming that the map was actually built since the request is no longer in the queue).

We are currently working on the server problems.

The service should be back to normal, thanks to Lambertus who recovered the scripts after a bad hard drive failure.

Hi! Thanks for great work. Is there a way to add house numbers labels to a map?

It is possible but labels are not rendered because it will clutter the map, sorry.
If you click with the mouse on the highway you see the numbers in Basecamp.

Option 1…

If you are familiar with using Mkgmap http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/ , http://osm.thkukuk.de/ has a Mkgmap style that can put a transparent overlay on your map showing the address numbers. The tk-osm file at the bottom of the large table is to be downloaded and used with the Mkgmap program.

You first use JOSM to download and save a small .osm file of the area. If you download a large area you will need to use Splitter too.

The Mkgmap command will look something like this if you use a Mac…

/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -jar /Applications/mkgmap-r3695/mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp --style-file=/Applications/mkgmap-tk-osm/tk-osm/address --style=style --list-styles --transparent --description=“tkaddress” --family-id=7129 --product-id=1 --draw-priority=15 --mapname=71212001 --family-name=“OpenStreetmap Mkgmap” --series-name="Josm " --area-name="default " --route --net --drive-on=left -—link-pois-to-ways --index --housenumbers --add-pois-to-areas /Applications/mkgmap-tk-osm/tk-osm/address/address.txt --output-dir=/Users/xxx/Documents/JOSM/Save_OSM_file/ /Users/xxx/Documents/JOSM/Save_OSM_file/Josm_save.osm

(it is easier to manage if you put all the parameters in a file - Mkgmap documentation for that)

Option 2…

You can also use Turbo Overpass to extract the house numbers…

Then export to gpx and load that to your gpx folder on the Garmin.
Unfortunately, on zooming in far enough to see all the waypoints, it displays the street name too.
I didn’t do this but you could do a search and replace on the gpx file to get rid of text from and including addr:street to and replace with and then only the address numbers would be visible.

It may be possible to adjust the Overpass Turbo query to only extract the addr:housenumber part without the street name but I don’t know how to do it.

Option 3 …

Easier that the above method is to use a smart phone. I use Maps.me and it displays the house numbers on my iphone and I expect that OsmAnd for the Android does too and you can edit the map using those apps.

Yes. But Maps.me also shows the house numbers during navigation, which is useless and clutters the map, making the street names unreadable or very hard to read. I expect that OsmAnd doesn’t, at least without a user setting to disable the “feature”.

Can you please look at the US-Germantown map segment? It’s not delivering zipped files when downloaded; just the individual tile files. I can download other maps just fine. :slight_smile: