Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Which version did you download, generic of generic new?
landuse=forest should be rendered on both versions, maybe it is covered by another feature?
landuse=orchard is indeed missing in the generic version, but should be rendered on the generic new maps.

I use the generic, at the moment I noticed was version 30-06-2016, I have already downloaded the latest (21-07-2016?), but still not transferred to the unit.

Forests should be definitely visible unless

• there are mapping errors (landuse covering another landuse)
  • you have mutiple maps on your device active
  • several versions of the generic map on your device?

Can you specify the location url from the osm.org website?

Couldn’t remember on the fly wether it was tagged as forest or orchard, seeing the map it IS orchard. Here is the link to the location

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-20.44503/-40.46073

I have OSM Generic latest version for South America (manual build) and Garmin official Western Europe on the device. No overlap of maps.

That makes sense then, orchards were never rendered on the mkgmap default style.
I reported it and it will be on the map sooner or later, thanks for noticing!

No problem, wonder why I havn’t noticed it earlier, it is close to where I live and I pass there regularly.

is it possible to prefer an footpath for walking?
Now when there are two ways (cycle an footpath) the routing is on the cycleway with an walking profile.
is does route over footpath when there isnt an cycleway though.

No, not with the generic osm maps nor my bicycle maps. Mkgmap (the software that we use to compile those maps) does not have the knowledge how Garmins activity profiles can control the routing. Garmin does not provide any information about the source code, so it has to be done by reverse engineering. Until know only the old Garmin format is partly revealed. It is only possible if you built a map for one specific activity like walking or cycling, not both. I dont know any map that is built for walking only, sorry.

Thanks for you’re response.
this clears a lot.
Te routing is nog bad but the routing of the garmin maps is definitly better when profile is walking of hiking.
workaround is plan the route with Garmin map en then switch to a better map.

I dont know the draw priority of those garmin maps but one suggestion is to make one of the osm maps you like most, unroutable by sending the tiles to your gps with mapsource (without routing info) and select them both. This way you look at the osm map and use the underlying garmin map for routing. Maybe you will have to change the draw priority of one of the maps to make sure the OSM is shown on top. This could be done with gmaptool.

oh wow this is an great tip.
never ever thought of that.

i will try this when i am at home!

Here is an example, just untick the box “Include route Calculation Data”

thanks!
only one problem, when i rename the img file my garmin says cannot unlock maps. and i cannot view the maps.
with basecamp or direct copy this isnt an prpblem but then i cannot unroute them.
When i dont rename the map it works (but then i cannot have several unroutable maps)

Edit:
oké i found the reason of the error.
I had two same maps on my sdcard.

But it doesnt has the outcome as I hoped, only the routable map is showed by the Garmin and not the other map.

This isn’t working any more for me. When I try to build a map I get a new page with:

There are problems with the server, please try it later.

The map server seemed to take my request OK. Sent me the email that my request was ready but won’t allow me access…I get the following 403 error:

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /garmin/generic_new/08-10-2016/ba9d18ed25de08b6500df9eb861bd10a on this server.
Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at sfs4.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de Port 80

Same for me … Using a Mac OS 10.11.6 Tried Safari and Firefox

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /garmin/generic/08-10-2016/776d8f9722a11b14b06eec848d49cc18 on this server.

I don’t know where the problem lies , but I expect your problems are not going to be resolved until Lambertus finds more time to manage the site or other Admins resolve the recent server problems.
In the meantime it might be best to extract your Garmin suitable maps from another provider…
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download
I have found that the BBBike.org ones suit me as I can define my own small region for download that I use mainly for cycling, hiking.
There are many other choices which should suit you until this site is fully functional again.

Feedback (Don’t need pointers to other OSM sites.):

Server now accepts request for map build and seems to manage the queue. But, once the maps are built (apparently, since the queue is empty) , there is no email sent for the download location (assuming that the map was actually built since the request is no longer in the queue).

We are currently working on the server problems.