Road Classification System (talk & poll)

So JayCBR voted:

1=a+f+g
2=b
3=c+d
4=e

1=a+f
2=b+d
3=c+e
4=o

Actually this is right (my research agrees with it). So, tertiary national roads must be tagged as secondary.
Don’t worry about stacking three networks into secondary tag. This tag can afford it, because it can show the least important roads but at the same time it can show that they are still important.

So, my vote is

1=a+f trunk= (primary national network + roads planned to become motorways)
2=b primary= (secondary national network)
3=c+d+e secondary= (tertiary national network +whole provincial network)
4=o tertiary= (minor roads)

EDIT: Descriptions added

So far we have: (red numbers in parentheses are number of votes)

1=a (4) +f (4) +g (1)
2=b (5) +d (1)
3=c (4) +d (3) +e (3)
4=o (3) +e (1)

Last voter: mtraveller

Don’t be confused by this table, it’s just for reference reasons. We will wait for other members to vote too.

Here is my vote:

1=a+f trunk = primary national + roads to become motorways
2=b primary = secondary national
3=c+d+e secondary = tertiary national + primary provincial + secondary provincial
4=o tertiary = minor roads

—-

Notes: Regarding C (tertiary national) I trust JayCBR’s and nikospag’s confirmation of their actual definition as “replaced” by ΠΔ401/1993. Also, with d+e I am referring to the whole provincial network, including the provincial roads on the islands which are neither, as there was “no need” for this distinction according to ΦΕΚ 423Β/1995. Thank you all for your brilliant work and research!

deleted

so we wait until end of the month for more replies

i am also thinking we need a poll for road names (outside of cities)

about street names inside cities i believe we are on the same page:
name=Δημοκρατίας (omit οδός or λεωφόρος)
int_name=Dimokratias (omit οδός or λεωφόρος)

i don’t think name:en=Democracy avenue etc is right

EDIT1:please remove text concerning removed polls, to avoid confusion for potential readers

Yes, we are on the same page about all of these. And i think that most of us are too. If i’m wrong please correct me.

There are too many things in this thread. I think the street names should go in a separate thread.

If anyone wants to change his vote, he is free to do it (with a new post).
If anyone objects to this voting (poll), he can make a statement.
Voting is still open

Deleted post

I would also be open to an idea that Long stretches of the Tertiary national network (more than 10 kilometres) could be Primary. That still leaves the problem of how national and provincial roads run through small cities with bypasses, like Tripoli and Argos.

I forgot to clarify something. The rules we are discussing here do not apply inside city plan areas. I think that roads hierarchy inside these areas is a different matter.

EDIT: What I’m trying to say is that it seems networks do not exist inside cities, towns, villages or hamlets, but only between them.

Eg major highways in Athens are not part of any network (except Athinon, Kymis, and Piraeus Port – EO8 route). Notice that there is a distinction too for EO51 inside cities. See ΦΕΚ 30B/1996.

Also, there is a distinction for hamlets too. See ΦΕΚ 800B/1995

Even if documents are not referring to every road, it seems that there is some rationale behind those distinctions.

If we were to address urban roads in a separate manner, then I am concerned about the risk of “orphaned” roads (except motorways): roads of a given classification (e.g. trunk) that do not connect to other roads of the same or better type. For example, I just demoted an avenue in Nafplio from trunk to primary, as it did not connect to any other trunk road.

We can avoid that risk. For example we could apply a simple rule. The highest road class that a city, town etc can have, can’t be higher than the highest class of the roads arriving to that city.
So, eg Nafplio can’t have a road higher than primary. (for now)

PS I edited post #62

Sorry that I am in the hurry, but the WMS does not seem to be accurate for many reasons, such as A6 being shown as a national road, not a motorway, and the bypasses at Argos and Tripoli are not taken into account (especially since one of the main roads in Tripoli are pedestrianised now).

Actually is accurate enough.

ΦΕΚ 261/1993 says: “Η Ελεύθερη Λεωφόρος Ελευσίνας – Σταυρού – Α/Δ Σπάτων εντάσσεται στο Δευτερεύων Εθνικό Οδικό Δίκτυο και χαρακτηρίζεται Αυτοκινητόδρομος” (implies A6 )
That’s why is red. (even if it’s a motorway)
That is also confirmed by ΦEK 30B/1996.
Of course, we must tag that road as motorway. (as it is).

Bypasses are not part of any network according to ΦΕΚ documents (except some bypasses of primary national network, ΦEK 30B/1996.). That’s why they are not taken into account. (see also post #62)

Hi, I may have misinterpreted it by accident, given that you previously gave me the wrong legend via PM, and I posted my reply before you corrected the legend.

(Sorry, legend assignment was my fault)

I think that bypasses must be tagged according to the roads that they connect, and without ref tags. Because:
Incoming and outgoing roads from/to a town are different ways (even if have the same ref) as they have different destinations.

So, bypasses are just connecting different roads.

If a bypass connects roads of different classes of raods, i think that must be tagged according to its quality.
For example, bypasses of Argos and Tripoli must be tagged as primary.