Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Flux, the test in my previous post was conducted in MapSource, not on a GPS.

Regarding road-name-pois: do the roadnames show up as a general poi or in the address search? And can you combine city and road name to find the correct roadname, or does it just find the closest road with that name?

Thanks for the idea - it works, I can find cities.
i do not have button with circles - by hitting that do You mean setting GPS position to previously found city?
However I cannot find the streets using pois - if I search for pois I have to choose category.
In none of them i don’t find the streets.

Ok now I understand, You just added the streets as POIS.
Can You explain how to do that - do I have to download mkgmap and edit my .img file with it?

Sorry but I am complete noob.

Oh, sorry, I should have read your post more carefully … and I never used MapSource, I have no Windows here.

–road-name-pois will show all streetnames as pois, listed in “All POI” (I hope this is the exact english expression at the Garmin GPS units). I can search for every city, once found and clicked I choose “Find near here” and search in “All POI” for streetnames (at the Etrex Vista HCx). At the Oregon 300 the way is similar, the menue at the touchscreen is a little different and all streetnames will have the city as second item, e. g. Hauptstraße, Regensburg. With this solution I can find all addresses available in the loaded map, nearby my position or 900 km away …

I am not sure, but as I remember the latest maps from Lambertus, I think there are no streetnames as POIS … I use my own maps for the Oregon 300 and Lambertus’ maps for the Vista HCx, because the Vista can search for addresses.

miszczu1983

If you found your city, choose it to reach the next screen and there press the button shown in my screenshot, then you can search near by the choosen city for “all pois” if your map will include streetnames as pois …

flux.

Correct, I don’t use that parameter as I think it’s a rather big hack… But maybe I should use it so the most people have the ‘best’ experience.

I think the mark means “close to”.
I can only search by the categories.
The only thing I am missing is to manage search for streets somehow…
Searching for cities works.

You can search for streetnames if your map is created with the --road-name-pois option.

If you give me your preferred region (may be only a small district around a town where you live) I can upload you a map with this feature so that you can test it.

This would be great, I know some people who would like to use your maps with the Oregon 300!

flux.

Admin edit: Flux, please add a second post to the first if there is little time between them

OK! flux.

That would be very nice of You.
I live in Poland, You can send me a small piece of poland modified
by You i.e. on my e-mail address miszczu1983@o2.pl.

However, I would preffer if You could explain me how to do it by myslesf, because what I want is the combined routable map of many asia and middle east countries since I am going there on motorbike.

BTW, Lambertus, You are doing a hell of good job here !

The howto via mail … I can give you some links.

Here a download of a gmapsupp.img (Poland complete, datas from OSM, 02-02-2010, the map is 55 MB). I used --road-name-pois, so that you should find the streetnames via “All POI” or “Geographic Points”. I also used the default style because the Oregon is faster without custom style-files.

http://mirror.live-modules.org/quax/fluxflux-sl/playground/gmapsupp.img

flux.

this is working as described.
Awesome.
Can You give me brief support how to do that with my map?

http://www.cferrero.net/maps/maps_index.html

I think here you will find all answers to your questions. No need to repeat things which are written in an excellent howto …

flux.

That’s an awesome page. Thanks for the link!

Thank You for that load,

altough there is one question - to make my gmapsupp.img with the parameter, I have to download .osm files first.
How to dawnload OSM files instead of .img files from Lambertus site?

You can read that in Step 1 of http://www.cferrero.net/maps/maps_index.html too.

This is right, but I need to combine maps from many countries accross 3 continents.
Geofabric allows either to choose from predefined countries where the ones which I am looking for are not included, either download whole continents (a lot of stuff for my bandwitch).

Or is there maybe a way to re-compile the img file with that parameter?
My .img file is already ready.

Did you try: http://downloads.cloudmade.com/ or other suppliers of .osm data?

Hacking the img file is not doable I think.

http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/page/main
The mkgmap program takes OpenStreetMap data and generates a map in the Garmin .img file format so that it can be loaded onto compatible GPS units.

I do not know about a possibility to recompile a .img file. You can split a .img file and add another typfile, but that is all.

I take e. g. the europe.osm.bz2 and cut my preferred region(s) with osmosis and then create my map(s). You can merge different gmapsupp.img(s) to one gmapsupp.img or with the Oregon 300 you can have different gmapsupp.img(s) at your SDHC. Just make sure that there is no gmapsupp.img in the internal storage! My gmapsupp.img(s) at the SDHC are named gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp1.img, gmapsupp2.img and so on.

flux.

But thats what miszczu1983 is asking for I think. Which program do you use for that? And what is the result of adding a typfile? That program cannot export it?

Splitting a gmapsupp.img means to have the tiles back (e. g. 63240001, 63240002 …) and the .mps. If I want to change the look of the map on my Garmin Unit I can add different typefiles (I have searched for different typfiles around the web).

To split a foreign gmapsupp.img I am using gmt (GMapTool, the binary for linux). For my own gmapsupp.img I can use my tiles and different typfiles.

As far as I experienced it is not possible to add the road-names as pois in this way, because the road-names are included in the tiles (.img files)!

And this was the question I think …

flux.

Do I understand correctly that you invoke mkgmap again on some selected tyles to generate one gmapsupp.img and that the result depends on a used style file?

The first part is correct, it is what my website is doing all the time. The second part (of adding a typ file); I’m not sure about that. I’ve never used typ files before, but I assume that it would work this way.

So what you can do is download a bunch of tiles from my site and recombine them using Mkgmap or another tool (perhaps MapSetToolkit) while adding a typ file. But that won’t give you the road POI’s, for that you will need to download the OSM data and render your map yourself (or wait until next weekend when I’ll release the next update).