You are not logged in.

Announcement

*** NOTICE: By 30th of September 2022 the forum.openstreetmap.org will be retired, please request a category for your community in the new ones as soon as possible using this process, which will allow you to propose your community moderators. We expect the migration of data will be finished by that date, you can follow its progress here.***

#1 2016-02-02 18:23:43

Humitos
Website

Proximity Alarm

Hello peolpe,

I've trying to generate "Proximity Alarms" for Gamin devices for a long time and I couldn't make it yet. I have the ".gpi" file which is read by my "Garmin nüvi 265w" but the alarm doesn't work. I mean, when I pass trough the point where the POI is, no sound at all.

I wrote an entry in my diary, but I will reproduce the steps here because I think this is the correct place and I will delete that entry (http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Humitos/diary/37869):

1. Download the data

wget -c http://download.geofabrik.de/south-amer … st.osm.bz2

2. Uncompress the file

bunzip ecuador-latest.osm.bz2

3. Filter data to get only "traffic_calming=bump" (that's what I'm interested in now):

osmfilter ecuador-latest.osm --keep= --keep-nodes="traffic_calming=bump" > ecuador-traffic_calming.osm

4. Create "Proximity Alert" using GPSBabel:

gpsbabel -i osm -f ecuador-traffic_calming.osm -o garmin_gpi,category="Bumps",alerts=1,proximity=500m -F ecuador-traffic_calming.gpi

5. Copy this file into my Garmin device. It recognizes my file but when I pass trough the POIs it doesn't generate the sound alarm.

Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

In fact, when I go to "Destiny -> Extras -> Custom POI -> Bumps -> osm-id -3999" (*) I can see on its description it says: "Alert information: Distance:0.5 km" which is correct but it doesn't produce the sound.

Thanks a lot!

(*) it could be different, I translated to English from my Spanish device big_smile

PS: in case you are interested in, I'm generating weekly maps for Perú (and Ecuador in the following months) here: http://argentinaenpython.com.ar/mapas-d … ra-garmin/

#2 2016-02-03 00:57:39

Humitos
Website

Re: Proximity Alarm

The issue is specific with the "garmin_gpi" file format from GPSBabel (I'm using v1.4.3); I tried by creating the ".gpi" file in another way and it just works. Let me explain a little more. Following these steps I can get Visual and Audio alarm in my Garmin device:

1. Open JOSM in the area where you want to be alarmed
2. Create some "traffic_calming=bump" points over some roads
3. Save the file as ".osm"
4. Convert the file to ".gpx" using GPSBabel

gpsbabel -i osm -f traffic_calming.osm -o gpx -F traffic_calming.gpx

5. Rename it with the suffix to "_speed_15" to be recognized by POILoader (official software from Garmin)

mv traffic_calming.gpx traffic_calming_speed_15.gpx

6. Open POILoader and load this file
7. Copy this file into "POI" folder from your SD card used in the Garmin
8. Simulate a route in your Garmin that goes through that point and you will be alerted

Thanks. I will keep researching. Please, if you have a hint let me know.

Last edited by Humitos (2016-02-03 00:58:33)

Board footer