Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Yesterday a big change has been made in the website regarding how country maps are spread over the available servers. Previously all country maps were provided by one server but this generates too much traffic (up to 25 TB per month!). So now country maps are, like the custom maps, spread over a selection of the available servers.

As I said, this is a big change and while it seemes to work correctly there still may be some bugs. Please report if something is not working, you see something unusual or you get an error. Thanks!

Thanks for all the hard work you do.

Regards,
Peter.

Thanks for regular updates. I am glad to see my updates are reflected with garmin maps.

Due to a problem with my computer I reinstalled OS (windows 7 starter) and Garmin Basecamp I also downloaded Sri Lanka maps via http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ I download and install both garmingeneric and garmin genericnewsyle but only OSMgenericroutable and Globalmap are appearing but not genericnew. I initially downloaded via http://sfs4.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic_new/14-11-2015/29afe0a5ae5a4de1bb1256b716f0ee8a/ (from email I received). I downloaded but it didn’t solve the problem. Appreciate if some one can look in to this. Thanks in advance.

Umapathy, thanks for reporting, this doesnt look right. Do you see a map called OSM routable generic (new style) in your map items?
Lambertus, looks like the country name is not included anymore in the mapset? Also the data structure looks different.
Someone else reported to me as well that country id’s are missing in the map names.

Ligfietser,thanks for the promptly response. For testing purposes I did check with another laptop by installing 3 maps Generic Routable, Generic Routable new style and Routable Bicycle for Sri Lanka. Updated Openfitsmaps appears along with OSM Generic Routable but not Generic Routablenew. Though not a big deal, earlier I used to see the date with the map and the country in brackets now gone.

I use Garmin basecamp to make printed map (several A4/Legal and past together) do check in ground with Goverment Officers responsible for the village (Such as head of the village administration, Development officers). Then make necessary changes to the openstreetmap. I also put the same map to the my gps. I am in the process of doing this for particular selected villages in Vavuniya. Getting good updated will really help me. Google maps or here.net maps are not that useful at least here in vavuniya, northern Sri Lanka and unlike openstreetmap they don’t have any easy way to print those maps.

Try looking at your installed maps with Javawa. This will hopefully tell you what it wrong.

I suggest you decide on one map version to use (I suggest the new style). They all use the same OSM data anyway.

Beddhist,thanks I installed and it detected the conflicts. Some times one looks better for printout. If I only install the one then should works fine.

I provide material are as follows.
Name on computer: OSM generic routable (new style)
Name on device: OSM generic routable (new style)
Family ID (FID): 2000
Product ID (PID): 6
Version: 1.00
Size: 38.12 MiB
TYP file: C:\Garmin\Maps\OSM generic routable (new style)\2000.typ
Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Families\OSM generic routable (new style)
Map type: Registry map
Protected: No

ID error: The Family ID is used by other maps: OSM generic routable
Segment error: Segment codes exist in other maps too.
Errors recoverable: No

Map segments (4): 63240940: OSM Generic Routable new (63240940) (63240940.img)
63241024: OSM Generic Routable new (63241024) (63241024.img) (segment code confict with OSM generic routable)
63241025: OSM Generic Routable new (63241025) (63241025.img)
63241026: OSM Generic Routable new (63241026) (63241026.img) (segment code confict with OSM generic routable)

Other essential C:\Garmin\Maps\OSM generic routable (new style)\63240000.tdb
files/folders: C:\Garmin\Maps\OSM generic routable (new style)\63240000.img
C:\Garmin\Maps\OSM generic routable (new style)\63240000.mdx
C:\Garmin\Maps\OSM generic routable (new style)\63240000_mdr.img

Since Lambertus has made some changes, now all the country maps are having the same ID’s.
Please be patient until he has restored his scripts.

Thanks for the reports and your patience, I’ve been away to a multi-day congress and only now see this. I’ll try to fix this asap.

The build scripts have slowly drifted apart between the country server and the custom map servers and unfortunately the fix is more complex than I thought. I will need more time to fix the country map generation on the non-country servers.

Lambertus,
There are sites like driverpacks.net switched to bittorrent to download the files. Earlier they used to do somewhat same like this site then they switched to bittorrent inorder to save the hosting charges. This has some advantages such as saving the bandwidth also dowloaders can also contribute back to the project by seeding the files that they downloaded. May not be every one but some will do this for sure.
This may be a viable option for future. Then there is no need to spend the time to fix the servers hosted in different places.

I think the constraints here are CPU and disk I/O, rather than bandwidth. Plus, all files change every two weeks.

Regards,
Peter.

With the current servers and user load there is no bottleneck in CPU, disk space or I/O. There was recently a question at the university whether the Garmin traffic is excessive which caused me to rush a change in the way the countries maps are generated. Unfortunately this included a bug which I cannot fix currently because somehow the (S)FTP server won’t let me in these days and support hasn’t replied to my questions yet :frowning:

Regarding bittorrent:
I think Beddhist is correct in his assessment that the weekly update cycle reduces the chance that bittorrent can effectively reduce the traffic. For some individual cases like some of the oft-downloaded country maps (e.g. Germany) it might very well reduce traffic, but I’m skeptical it will help much. So, because of this reason and very restricted available hobby-time I currently don’t plan to experiment with bittorrent as it adds just another thing to maintain plus the added complexity. The trade-off isn’t there (yet) for me.

hello
I downloaded Oman country and it don’t work on gps.
I try with “Enable manual tile selection” with yemen and countries near oman and it works for all countries except Oman
do you have a solution ?
thanks

I have installed the Oman tiles and others and I can see all the detail in Mapsource. What exactly is your problem?

Regards,
Peter.

I try with “Enable manual tile selection” with yemen and countries near oman and it works for all countries except Oman on my Garmin montana 610. that means I see all informations, all details when I look yemen on my gps but when I look Oman, I see only global worldwide map.

I just downloaded now Oman “osm_generic_macosx.zip 30M Map installer for BaseCamp / Mac OSX platform.” and install it on basecamp and It works very well

I think the problem is about : osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip 29M

You have maybe several generic maps with the same tiles on your Montana. This can lead to such errors.
You can check this with Javawa Device Manager: http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

when I connect my GPS with base camp. it works
so I change the name Oman.img in gmapsupp.img and it works now on my GPS. I don’t now really why because other maps I downloaded have other names that gmapsupp.img
thanks

The map I got from garmin.openstreetmap.nl (new style) looks very nice in day, but in night profile it still is mostly white.
Text appears with a black background (as expected), but the background in the rest of the map is still white (bad for night vision). What am I doing wrong?

You are doing nothing wrong. The map is for day mode only. Please disable night mode and in darkness just adjust the brightness.

Regards,
Peter.