Forum update [was: the forum is flooded by Spam. What can I do ?]

No thanks, I get enough mails as it is. :slight_smile:

Just a tiny request: Is it possible to add a favicon to the forum so it is easier to spot in the browser tabs.

bye, Nop

Just reporting:

One day this forum is visible, the next day it’s gone, then it pops up again only to disappear into outer space…

Or do you have to log in to see this forum?

Edit:
Checked it out: That is indeed the case! Weird behaviour I must say. All the others are always visible, no matter if you logged in or not…

How exactly does the pre-moderation work?

• how many posts do we have to approve before a user is allowed to post unmoderated?
  • are there any consequences if the mod decides to delete the post?

I just had a case where a user has posted twice - obviously unaware that it takes mod interaction. I approved the first but had to delete the second, obviously.

bye, Nop

Llambertus, het Quoten gaat anders dan eerst. Nu zie je een quote met de naam van de auteur maar kun je de quote tekst niet meer in plakken tussen de haakjes en het menu lijkt gewijzigd, kan dat ?
The Quoting menu has changed. The quote gets filled with the name of the autor, but it seems not logic to stick the quote inside it, the menu seems to be changed intended ?

Those will be back.

Yes, I’ll add one. Is the favicon from the main OSM website good enough?

That is correct. I reasoned it is not important to have the ‘feedback’ forum visible for non-forum users.

New users are allocated to the ‘new members’ group, this group is moderated and has fewer privileges/functions on the forum. After two approved posts those users are automatically promoted to the (full) ‘member’ group, which is not moderated and has more privileges/functions (e.g. email).

If I recall correctly, new members are notified that their posts are moderated.

Yes, this is part of the EasyBB mod which I still need to re-apply.

me too.

Sometimes there is a larger number of unapproved posts to process which have accumulated over time.

Unfortunately, the approval is rather inefficient. You have to select a value in the drop down box and press submit for each post individually.

It would be much faster if we could mark multiple posts and then press a “approve all” button.

I guess we will have to cope with the current behaviour for the time being, but maybe you can put in a feature request somewhere.

bye, Nop

Was there any news ?
BB-codes still not working, new users registration closed…

The same for me (with lack of formatting buttons).

I see also strange problem with date handling: today’s posts are displayed as if they were from yestarday.

I noticed that threads with unread messages are marked as read without visiting them. I preferred old behaviour where it was necessary to open page with unread post to mark it as read.

I reported the same thing in a separate thread: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=52377. Unfortunately, no helpful responses.

Some months later… When will we get back the quick quote function and BB code buttons in the fast reply?

Sorry if I dig this one out after two months. I am a new user and yesterday I had a problem with exactly this function.

The message only showed for about 1 second or less before I was redirected to the overview page. The first time I just noted something flickering by. My post wasn’t there and - because I was just registered and some systems need some time - I thought I’d wait for some hours and try again.

The second time I tried to post my message I was ready for some message flickering by and was able to pick up some words. Beneath others I saw “moderation” and knew that it would just need some time till my post is accepted. But it was more or less luck that I was able to read this. (By the way: sorry for the double post and thanks for deleting the first one)

I’m not sure if this is a phenomena that only occurs on my system setup but it might could be worth to look into it to avoid double posts like mine.

Some rough data about my system setup: I’m using Firefox 43.0 on an OpenSUSE Thumbleweed system. My Firefox has NoScript and Disconnect plug-ins installed (and some others but these two are the ones that cause the most odd effects). But I allowed scripts from openstreetmap.org in NoScript.

Kind Regards

Christian

Yes, that’s what I was going to ask too…

I got already two complaints this week that users had problems registering a new account for the forum. I had to explain that the forum uses the OSM account.

The registration page of the forum says:

Which is misleading and confusing. It would be better to change the text into something that explains where a user can get an account.

I get a lot of duplicate unapproved posts. Many people seem not to understand that the forum is moderated for them and that it needs time.

I dont know how the message informing them about that works, but it needs to be more prominent.

bye, Nop

Two remarks:

• the message shown after a new thread has been opened, saying that it needs to be accepted by moderators, is shown way to short. Could only catch a few words. (same for the message displayed after login btw - in that case maybe better to show no message at all)
  • there is no notification of login time-out. Use-case: start opening a new thread, then go search for additional information, try to actually post/publish the new thread after a while. No message is displayed like ‘you have waited too long and have been logged out’; just sth like ‘you don’t have the rights to do this’. First lead me to think that I wasn’t allowed to post in that specific subforum.

The search engine is working not properly?

search key: “natuurmonumenten”
does not display all results.

The search engine didn’t found the results in postings:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=27177
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=29103
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=469323#p469323

may be some more …

Would it please, please, please be possible to remove this annoying time-between-two-posts minimum? Or set it to, say, 10 secs?

I frequently happen to answer another question within the limit given, then do something else because I can’t post it straight away, and eventually forget it :frowning:

–ks

EDIT: Happened to this one too. Waiting idly.

Any news about these two issues?

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=570469#p570469
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=567408#p567408