Παράλειψη "Οδός" και "Λεωφόρος" στο tag name και name:el

εἰρήνη ὑμῖν, ἀδελφοί
προς τι το μίσος και ο αλληλοσπαραγμός. (Τσαγανέας) :smiley:

Εσύ πήγαινε να δώσεις καμιά συνέντευξη και μην μάς το χαλάς! :stuck_out_tongue:

Κι αφού όπως είπε ο τεχνοlogictheo “διόρθωσα” όλη τη Θεσσαλονίκη (καλά, δεν ήταν και καμιά σοβαρή δουλειά), είπα να διαβάσω λίγο…

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:sorting_name

(τα υπογραμισμένα δικά μου)

Μήπως αυτό θέλουμε τελικά; Ένα tag που να δίνει σωστή ταξινόμηση (όπως είπα και στο πρώτο post μου, θέλω να βρίσκω την “Τσιμισκή” στο “Τ” και όχι στο “Ι” -“Ιωάννη Τσιμισκή”- και τις “Δραγούμη” μαζεμένες) και αναζήτηση και να αφήσουμε το name να δείχνει το επίσημο όνομα του δρόμου (όπως αναγράφεται και στα ταμπελάκια, το λέει και αυτό στο wiki για τα Names); Και μην πείτε είναι αργά, το “καλό” με τη λύση του name:prefix είναι ότι δε σβήστηκε πληροφορία από τη βάση. Επομένως όλες οι αλλαγές είναι το ίδιο εύκολα αναστρέψιμες (διαφωνώ με το να σβήσουμε πληροφορία απ’ τη βάση επειδή εμείς οι 5; 6; που γράψαμε στο thread τη θεωρούμε άχρηστη).

Μόνο μην αρχίσετε πάλι να μαλώνετε… καλά τα λέει ο aitolos :slight_smile:

Although this thread has been quiet for three years, it seems that the issue is not quite agreed upon. And some users might still read this. So I want to give a balance to the discussion here. Some comments on the reasons why we should (supposedly) not use any prefix, such as Οδός or Λεωφόρος or Πλατεία or …?
This is no offence against Nikos, who made some interesting points, I just choose his post, because he has nicely listed some common reasons that are brought up.

(Sorry for the automatic translation used below!!)

As you said yourself (in the parentheses) it is not meaningless or redundant, since some streets are not odos, but leoforos or platia. And maybe there are other prefixes too?

The purpose of the data behind OpenStreetMap is not only to render maps or make navigation devices. Those are important use cases, but not the only ones.
If a renderer or navigator is not able to cut out “odos” (if this is wanted) then it’s easy to do this in software. (I’m not a developer, but I do code casually and this is a one-liner.)

As far as I see, the uniformity is not lost in Thessaloniki, since the name= tag contains the same data. (The main part of the street name without “odos”.)
This is not about what is more easy to erase or to do now, but what is more useful in the future.

a) Which “official” manufacturers are you referring to? Google? (Probably they do not have the map data available, either.)
b) This is not only about how to make the map look nice. (Don’t do “tagging for the renderer.”) It’s also about how to maintain a comprehensive database for many diverse applications.

I absolutely doubt that search engines (who can understand much more difficult semantics) have a problem with the prefix, which is additional information.

People who install renderers and make routing applications are probably programmers, or at least they know how to do “sed s/name:odos/name:/” or something similar.
Besides, the “Ιερά οδός” would NOT result in “Οδός Ιερά οδός” since the official name of the street is “Ιερά οδός”, as can be seen here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9926703,23.6772992,3a,16.2y,156.09h,89.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s53zaDk15Rj1QHxZ-7-JXQA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-US

If anyone wants to make a map without “odos”, then (s)he needs to have a script that removes these before rendering, in any case. Because (at the moment) we can not expect all roads to lack the “odos” or “leoforos”.

Yes, “leoforos”. Or “plateia” or maybe something else also?
I appreciate that you are both contributing to the map and making an OSM-based map available for users. But maybe other people have other preferences and would like to see the full name. Or maybe there’s another use, where the full name is needed. Maybe someone wants not make a map, but to make statisticts of the average street-name-length in the different neighbourhoods. Keep up the great work you are doing inside the map and around it. Just let’s leave space for other use cases also. It’s easy to cut-out the “odos” automatically, it’s impossible to add it if it’s missing! (Since you can not be sure it is missing because it is in fact “odos” or maybe just because the mapper didn’t know it.)

I agree, but (as I said) making a 2D street map (for a small screen) is not the only use case. It’s the most common, but not the only:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Osm_tag_graph.png
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM2World
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:FHRS_Postcode_OSM_Highway.jpeg
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:QGIS_supermarkets_bus_stops.png

With all the above said (in order to show that there’s another side of the book) I want to leave this decision up the Greek community. And if you really think, that there’s absolutely zero information in having Οδός or Λεωφόρος or Πλατεία in the name, then so be it. (Personally I think we’re loosing something. Something small, but something…)

And if we can say that we argee more or less, then let’s write our decision here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names#Greece

At the moment this section advises to transliterate “Οδός” to “Odos” but then:

• omit Οδός in the Greek name:el
  • do NOT omit Λεωφόρος
  • (does not mention Πλατεία or other)
  • Transliterate in int_name and here it says omit “Odos” in english (eg. “Stadou” or “Leoforos Dimokratias”)
  • Translate in name:en (Democracy Avenue)

If we choose to keep “Λεωφόρος”, then why not keep also “Οδός”? That would be much more consistent.
The above has the problem, that we can not know: If there is no “Οδός” in the name:el, then is it really “Οδός” or maybe someone just forgot to put the “Λεωφόρος” (or even deleted it - happens! https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/41466890/history ).

Sorry to wake up the dead, but this one is a zombie! :stuck_out_tongue:
Let’s decide and rest in peace! :wink:

Since consensus seems to be difficult to achieve, I suggest we vote:

NONE = Omit both “Οδός” and “Λεωφόρος” from the name. (But keep “Πλατεία” or whatever. And don’t bother about name:prefix)
ALL = Keep all prefixes, Οδός", “Λεωφόρος”, “Πλατεία”, whatever inside the name= tag.
SOME = Omit only “Οδός”, but keep prefixes “Λεωφόρος”, “Πλατεία”, whatever inside the name= tag.
PREFIX = Put all prefixes in the name:prefix tag and remove “Οδός” and “Λεωφόρος” (but not “Πλατεία”, etc) from the name= tag.

Other voting systems welcome, but let’s collect some votes, get this off the table and make it a Greek standard.
(I believe it’s best to keep the full name, but I don’t vote.)
Can we collect maybe 10 or more votes here to have a good basis to make it “decided”?

In my opinion I would go for “SOME” because:

• Nearly all maps I have seen (including Bing and Google) ignore “Odos” as a prefix.
  • Most maps I have seen (including Bing and Google) retain “Leoforos” et. al.
  • “Ethniki Odos” and “Eparchiaki Odos” should be retained to distinguish between each other.

I do not know why one would write “Odos” as a prefix in addresses, unless its Iera Odos and the like.

i think we should omit both odos and leoforos, i m ok with retaining plateia
name=Δημοκρατίας
name:el=Δημοκρατίας
int_name=Dimokratias
name:en=Democracy Avenue

name:prefix is only a proposed feature denoting direction
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Directional_Prefix_%26_Suffix_Indication

name:prefix would just add complexity to what is already a complicated road system, but most maps retain Leoforos, hence we should honour that.

For a couple of years I’ve been quietly reading the valid points made from all members of this discussion, but to be honest I didn’t have anything interest to add. This issue did bother me though: I’ve found myself walking through the streets, taking notes of what is actually on the street signs. And it’s kinda funny that an “avenue” which is right next to my office has a few different names, according at least to it’s many different street signs: “Leoforos Dimokratias”, “Odos Dimokratias” and, yes, simply “Dimokratias”. In fact, most of the newer street signs in the area for many different streets go with the simple option and omit Leoforos or Odos.

And that raises an interesting question: Does anyone know if there any official rules/guidelines regarding the Odos/Leoforos distinction?

Regardless, I’ve been recently going through various official documents, like this one ΑΠΟΦΑΣΗ ΑΡΙΘ. 477 ΑΠΟ ΤΟ ΥΠ’ ΑΡΙΘ. 60/2012 ΠΡΑΚΤΙΚΟ ΣΥΝΕΔΡΙΑΣΕΩΣ ΤΟΥ ΔΗΜΟΤΙΚΟΥ ΣΥΜΒΟΥΛΙΟΥ ΛΑΡΙΣΑΙΩΝ. In almost all of the cases, it became apparent that “Odos” is only a distinction, and the actual name is usually inside quotes or in bold/italics. Do note that on the same PDF, every single name (without the Odos of course), is thoroughly explained:

ΦΟΔΕΛΕ :
Το Φόδελε είναι χωριό στην επαρχία Μαλεβιζίου και ομώνυμο Δημοτικό διαμέρισμα του πρώην Δήμου Γαζίου στο Νομό Ηρακλείου (…)

In addition, all of these documents do have a reference to the Article 8 of N. 3463/06, which starts with the following: “Η ονομασία συνοικιών, οδών και πλατειών γίνεται με απόφαση του δημοτικού ή κοινοτικού συμβουλίου, η οποία λαμβάνεται ύστερα από εισήγηση του οικείου τοπικού συμβουλίου ή παρέδρου και σύμφωνη γνώμη επιτροπής, στην οποία συμμετέχουν…”

In my mind at least, this is another sign that “odos” is just a distinction, or a category, or in terms of OSM, just a “highway=road”.
Of course, I could simply be wrong.

So, after taking under consideration all of the above, I would go for SOME.

Thanks!

This is not a matter of personal perspective, it is a matter of practical computer reality.
Openstreetmap is a map for electronic devices (mainly) and not for printing purposes. Any information in IT systems is valuable but comes with a price. It consumes computing power and memory resources.

If that information is worth it (aka: useful) we accept the above price. Otherwise we reject that information.
Also remember nature’s law: “keep it simple !”.

Names prefix “Οδός” and “Λεωφόρος” are uselss in all terms. When we tag a way as highway=* we mean street (Οδός), and when we tag a way as highway=motorway/primary/secondaty implies an avenue (Λεωφόρος).
So the information is already there, therefor we MUST NOT re-register it again within the name tag.

Hello everyone!

I am Te-ika, I am an editor with the Kaart ground survey team. We recently did a ground survey in Thessaloniki and nearby cities. I have been reading this thread and just wanted to put my two cents in on the matter.

As per the first post about posting in English I will be posting in English. As another disclaimer, in order to better understand the issue at hand, I have translated the comments in this thread to English as I do not have a background in Greek. As a result if there are things that I have misunderstood please explain them to me.

There are three points in support of using the “Οδοσ” prefix about which I would like to open a discussion:

1. Digital Maps are a representation of physical features in the real world.
    Street signs are a very important feature in the physical world and it is the easiest standard of mapping to have all editors map to what they see on the ground no more. It creates the simplest solution to the standard of data no matter where you go in the world. The “Οδος” prefix is on most street signs in Greece in several different places. I believe, because it has been deemed important enough to be added to the phyiscal street signs all over the country, it should also be important enough to add to the database of OSM.

2. “Οδος” equivalents are used more often in the OSM tagging scheme globally, then they are not used.
    In this thread there are several references made to Russia. Russia and now Greece seem to be the exception rather than the rule. In Latin American countries for example you can see the use of “Calle” as the Spanish version of “Οδος” and it is used often and repeatedly even though every road in a certain area has “Calle” in the name. Therefore I believe it important to add the “Οδοσ” prefix in order to stay consistent with the rest of the world and their name tagging scheme. The mission of Openstreetmap is to be the most comprehensive geospatial database on the market. There needs to be consistency in that database. Adding “Οδος” contributes to that consistency.

3. An accurate and comprehensive database is more important than what the capabilities of the technologies of the day.
    Adding “Οδος” keeps the data simple for the majority of people who will interact with OSM data in Greece. Therefore I submit that we create a database that is accurate regardless of the computing power of the day. We are continually improving our technological capabilities and so should not concern ourselves over the capabilities of the technology of the day. We should however concern ourselves over the accuracy and comprehensiveness of our database.

For these reasons I would submit the “Οδος” and all other prefixes be added to the streets where they are physically seen on street signs around the entire country. While this is a lot of work it is not only the simplest standard for all users to follow, but it also creates a consistent and ground-verified database of roads in Greece.

i just noticed some of your edits and i got so upset…who gives you the right to ignore all previous conversations and disrespect other mappers, things like these drive people away from osm

we have already decided to omit οδός and λεωφόρος (this is how you write them) so using οδοσ is completely wrong and unacceptable

you people took advantage of the fact nobody reads the forum any more to force your own thing

I was just coming here for that very thing. Changes are made willy-nilly, neither following established consensus nor reflecting the reality on the ground. For example, there is a pedestrian street in Katerini (properly signposted) called “Αγίου Στυλιανού”, and it was changed to a residential street named “Οδοσ Αγ. Στυλιανού”. That makes three controversial changes: the addition of “Οδοσ”, the abbreviation of part of the name, and the change of the street’s classification. And although I will not begrudge anyone the addition of residential buildings to the map, moving buildings such as this from their actual location to another across the street, or tagging them with “surface=asphalt”, is certainly a cause for concern.

When these edits were made we were not aware of a strong community opinion on the matter. We did not intend to upset the Greek community. We edited in Greece as we have consistently edited across the world. We apologize for any disruption caused by our editing. We also apologize for any incorrect tags.

The reason for the addition of Οδός is due to what we see physically on the street signs all around the country. Through ground data showed that the majority of the signs in the cities of Thessaloniki, Katerini, Kozani, and Veroia made use of the word “Οδός.” However, once knowing the stance of the community on this matter we stopped adding them as we saw them. Again we wish to apologize for causing a disruption. I have responded to direct messages where the issue of Οδός was brought up and responded that I will personally remove Οδός from identified areas, but have received no specification of areas to be addressed. I will personally remove any addition of Oδός from any area that is brought to my attention.

However, the fact remains that across all countries and styles of mapping the most consistent and verifiable method of mapping is adding exactly what you see on the ground to the best of your ability. This standard is easily explained to a brand new contributor and is the most reliable method for the seasoned cartographer. When we only add information that we deem worthy into a digital representation of the physical world, we can no longer trust that representation to be as versatile or as accurate in its use for all platforms.

To the Duke:

While we agree that the name should not have been abbreviated, it was what was written on the sign. This has since been fixed. We are very open to having local editors assist us while we make edits. We see that you did in fact reach out to the editor, yet you only addressed the use of Οδός and not classification or the abbreviated name.
We have reviewed the edit and we have images of this area and the road in question. The road is a one lane asphalt road, likely used often by regular vehicular traffic. This is the definition of pedestrian roads from the wiki:

This does not accurately describe the road in question. If we cannot agree that the road is a residential road which is used to access other residential roads, then the more accurate description of this road would be a living street:

Since there was an issue with the classification of the edit, we would highly recommend contacting the editor in question and addressing your grievance. This leads to less confusion in edits and helps educate the OSM contributor base.

The second example you provided regarding the building that was moved to an incorrect location has no history of being edited by any of our editors and only shows yourself as having edited the polygon in the past year. I am not sure I can help explain why that building was in the wrong place. If you would like to provide more evidence that a member of our team was responsible for this move, please inform us. We want to correct any mistakes created.

The last example you provided was simply a mistake by an editor who was still fairly new at the time. Thank you for fixing it. As stated earlier, we hope in the future you will reach out to the editor directly to help them improve their tagging and to help avoid future mistake by that editor.

The move seems to have happened in changeset 61243416 by user mama_bear on 31 July. This is not immediately obvious from the changeset history, as the way itself was not changed, only the positions of the nodes that make it up. However, you can see the move visualized using Achavi: https://nrenner.github.io/achavi/?changeset=61243416

Steve

To Kaart team:

I will say that once and very polite.
Ground rule does not apply in Greece. For many reasons, which i will not analyze right now.
We don’t use the ground rule, because if we did we wouldn’t have a consistent map, because here in Greece nothing is consistent. (on the ground).
And you are claiming that you want to make a consistent map. :laughing:
I seriously doubt about that.

And i insist to the following:
Names prefix “Οδός” and “Λεωφόρος” are uselss in all terms. When we tag a way as highway=* we mean street (Οδός), and when we tag a way as highway=motorway/primary/secondaty implies a street that is an avenue (Λεωφόρος).
So the information is already there, therefor we MUST NOT re-register it again within the name tag.

And there are other reasons too to why i insist to that. **(like because newer street signs omit prefixes “Οδός” and “Λεωφόρος”)!!!
So please stop making a mess here. You can go somewhere else, where they use the Latin alphabet.
Thank you.

This is an example of a newer sign where prefix “Οδός” is omitted.

There are thousands of them.

And to add something else to the above, OK you are adding street names, but you (all of you) are not doing it the right way. For example you write Αγιας Φωτεινης instead of Αγίας Φωτεινής. Do you know the Greek “tonos”?
So please (and i am saying this again) go to some other country that makes use of the Latin alphabet,
Thank you in advance.

It appears that George_ath has been after the street names, adding the “Οδός” and “Λεωφόρος” back. They don’t belong to name=* at the very least.

See: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/63858220

I know of a tag that would be more appropriate for those who wish to use them, and that’s “name:prefix=*”.

Prefix “Οδός” and “Λεωφόρος” has been removed from all name tags, all over Greece. Prefix “Odos” and “Leoforos” also has been removed from all int_name tags, all over Greece.

As for the tag name:prefix its ok if someone wants to use it to add the above prefixes, but personally i still think that is useless.
Besides that, this tag is only a proposal. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Directional_Prefix_%26_Suffix_Indication
(JayCBR said that too, and i agree with that).

Thank you.

PS. User George_ath has been notified.

(off topic)mister or miss ika-chan! you used keys “STOP_id” at bus stops. An other user notified me about this (and he was from Russia). Key “STOP_id” doesn’t exist any more, as far as i know.
Anyway, this key has been converted to key “ref” (starting from Attica, with a mass edit.)

Also at “Ιερά Οδός” you used this key and value: old_name:en=Sacred Way!!!
We translate the property only and NOT the name. (names must not be translated) eg. “Πλατεία Ελευθερίας” is translated to “Eleftherias square” and not “Freedom square”. “Ιερά Οδός” is a name. (I was notified by user George_ath).