Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

With this option Mkgmap still can’t produce a good search index for the gmapsupp so the problem is only partially solved. Biggest issue is that it cant find any address if you don’t enter a place name. Using mapsource or basecamp to produce a gmapsupp.img solves this, but I dont think Lambertus will produce all those maps manually every week.

Maybe the search index can be improved, but at least for names in spanish the maps are more useful if you run mkgmap with that flag than without it.

I don’t understand the issue that it can find any address. ¿Could you explain with more detail?
I have been using a map with that option since February and didn’t notice the issue. If you need to check, I use the South America map provided by http://www.i-nis.com.ar/osm/garmin

I have tried this on my Oregon 600:

1. Addresses
  2. In what country is the address: Argentina
  3. In what city: search all
  4. Enter street name: A

No results found

This works:

1. Spell City: Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires
  2. Enter street name: A

Several street names are found

If you make a version for the pc with mkgmap, and install the maps from Basecamp or Mapsource to your device, the streetindex with *3) In what city: search all * works ok.

When I try this on my Zumo 660 it will find only some streets, but not all.

Cheers,
Peter.

What exactly did you try Peter, “In what city: search all” or within a specific city?

Sorry Minko, I got confused by my zumo. I had put in a house number and that stuffs up searching in most cases where the number doesn’t exist.

I’ll go and hide under my rock again… :wink:

In my opinion it should be handled differently on the map, but as I neither live, nor map in these two states, and they don’t seem to follow the consensus of the rest of Brazil, than it is difficult to resolve this differently.

The BR refs are official refs for Brazilian federal highway, the MGC ref is “Minas Gerais Coexisting”, meaning it is a Brazilian federal highway in Minas Gerais. IMO MGC can be ignored in this case, and display only

ref=BR-251;BR-122

The case is similar in Rio Grande do Sul, where the duplicated ref is RSC (see BR-116 + RSC-116 for example)

In both cases the national official reference is BR, and most signs, such as destination signs and mile-marks will have the BR, while odd signs might use the MGC/RSC signage.

I have followed a few of them from Mapillary to see occurrence of MGC/RSC and have not been able to identify such locations.

OK, but since the label on Garmin maps is restricted in length I would vote for truncating any ref at the first semicolon. That way, OSM mappers can put in whatever they want and the map will display correctly, even if somewhat incomplete.

Regards,
Peter.

That can also work, given that the most important highway generally is the one signed, and probably is the first value :slight_smile:

Thanks. I can confirm the same problem in my nuvi 2455.

Anyway, because the way streets are named in spanish is better a search with the multiword index than withouth them.

I’ll have to choose my poison. :slight_smile:

I’ve successfully downloaded and installed the OSM generic routable new(CHN).
The Garmin Basecamp displays the map in English.
I want to ask how can I change the display language to Traditional or Simplified Chinese

hkttf05, that is not possible unfortunately. You have to search for a Chinese map.

Hello. Since many years I enjoy the service - Thank you very much !!!
There is one thing I would like to suggest.
It would be great if a user could save a tiles collection and edit it.
Example: If I download the maps for the counties Germany, Belgium and Netherlands some tiles overlap.
So if I create a manual tiles selection I will have to do this again for every backup.
It would be great if I could log in, open my saved tiles selection file and add or delete tiles, download the latest version for the manually selected tiles region …
Cheers and good-bye.
Frank.

Welcome, Frank,

This sounds like a great idea. However, the tiles change in size and shape, making this impossible.

But, you can zoom the map until you see the entire area you want and just draw one or more rectangles. This will quickly give you a selection without having to click each tile. You can combine this with one pre-selected country.

Regards Peter.

thanks for your rep;y
I tried another method
I download the china-latest.osm.bz and unzip a 3.7gb .osm file

i use mkgmap-r3624 to make the garmin img file

java -Xmx1024M -jar mkgmap.jar --code-page=936 --index --route --drive-on=detect china-latest.osm

but unfortunately i cannot make it

and i try

-Xmx512

but still can’t

This map is way too big, you need to run the mkgmap splitter first:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/How_to_create_a_map

Or try first a smaller osm extract from http://www.openstreetmap.org/export to test.

thank you
i can make my own map now:D

I’ve been thinking about this for a long time. My current line of thinking is providing the URL with some parameters, e.g. Well Known Text (WKT). Example: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl?wkt=POLYGON((30 10, 40 40, 20 40, 10 20, 30 10))
That would select all tiles touching or inside the given polygon (the numbers in the URL are just sample coordinates, WGS84 should be used).

In theory not a big deal to implement because all the pieces of the puzzle are already in use somewhere in the toolchain. The biggest difficulty is to match the tiles to the polygon which is already implemented in the toolchain where the country maps are defined using PHP but it’s not part of the website code.

Hi Lambertus,

Today there are gremlins in the system. When I first chose the new style map, any country I selected would show only one or two tiles. After switching to the old style, tested (OK) I switched back and the selection was good. I then had it build me a Thailand map. In the link I was sent there is only a zip file, but the link that now appears on the web site when I chose Thailand has all the files.

Kind regards,
Peter.