Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Umapathy, you could also try http://extract.bbbike.org/
With that tool you can define your own polygon and update it whenever you want.

There does seem to be a problem in our script dealing with multiple ref values:

ref=BR-251;MGC-251;BR-122;MGC-122

The fundamental question we need to answer here is “Which of the refs should appear in the highway label?” Since I can’t see an easy way to make a decision otherwise I think we can only display the first one.

Regards,
Peter.

is it somehow possible to generate a compressed map, e.g. lacking POIs, streetnames, …? Just figured out i can put maps on the edge510, but it has very limited storage.

thanks!

@xkonni You can try http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/maps-garmin-fenix

tried that. it does not show streets. i would actually like to see streets :wink:

Any update about this problem?

Searching italian streets by name and surname is very troublesome…

Thank you

maxx

Problem is solved but still has experimental status. Use option --x-split-name-index to get search index with partial street names.

With this option Mkgmap still can’t produce a good search index for the gmapsupp so the problem is only partially solved. Biggest issue is that it cant find any address if you don’t enter a place name. Using mapsource or basecamp to produce a gmapsupp.img solves this, but I dont think Lambertus will produce all those maps manually every week.

Maybe the search index can be improved, but at least for names in spanish the maps are more useful if you run mkgmap with that flag than without it.

I don’t understand the issue that it can find any address. ¿Could you explain with more detail?
I have been using a map with that option since February and didn’t notice the issue. If you need to check, I use the South America map provided by http://www.i-nis.com.ar/osm/garmin

I have tried this on my Oregon 600:

1. Addresses
  2. In what country is the address: Argentina
  3. In what city: search all
  4. Enter street name: A

No results found

This works:

1. Spell City: Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires
  2. Enter street name: A

Several street names are found

If you make a version for the pc with mkgmap, and install the maps from Basecamp or Mapsource to your device, the streetindex with *3) In what city: search all * works ok.

When I try this on my Zumo 660 it will find only some streets, but not all.

Cheers,
Peter.

What exactly did you try Peter, “In what city: search all” or within a specific city?

Sorry Minko, I got confused by my zumo. I had put in a house number and that stuffs up searching in most cases where the number doesn’t exist.

I’ll go and hide under my rock again… :wink:

In my opinion it should be handled differently on the map, but as I neither live, nor map in these two states, and they don’t seem to follow the consensus of the rest of Brazil, than it is difficult to resolve this differently.

The BR refs are official refs for Brazilian federal highway, the MGC ref is “Minas Gerais Coexisting”, meaning it is a Brazilian federal highway in Minas Gerais. IMO MGC can be ignored in this case, and display only

ref=BR-251;BR-122

The case is similar in Rio Grande do Sul, where the duplicated ref is RSC (see BR-116 + RSC-116 for example)

In both cases the national official reference is BR, and most signs, such as destination signs and mile-marks will have the BR, while odd signs might use the MGC/RSC signage.

I have followed a few of them from Mapillary to see occurrence of MGC/RSC and have not been able to identify such locations.

OK, but since the label on Garmin maps is restricted in length I would vote for truncating any ref at the first semicolon. That way, OSM mappers can put in whatever they want and the map will display correctly, even if somewhat incomplete.

Regards,
Peter.

That can also work, given that the most important highway generally is the one signed, and probably is the first value :slight_smile:

Thanks. I can confirm the same problem in my nuvi 2455.

Anyway, because the way streets are named in spanish is better a search with the multiword index than withouth them.

I’ll have to choose my poison. :slight_smile:

I’ve successfully downloaded and installed the OSM generic routable new(CHN).
The Garmin Basecamp displays the map in English.
I want to ask how can I change the display language to Traditional or Simplified Chinese

hkttf05, that is not possible unfortunately. You have to search for a Chinese map.