You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-18 20:48:13

Tony Q

More questions about tag values

Here are yet more questions, to make sure I'm doing it right:

1) If I put in a Church, I put amenity=place_of_worship.  I can do religion=christian.  Then what is the right value for denomination, if it's an Anglican/Church of England Church?  We ought to be consistent, so which value is preferred?  I would propose Anglican, unless there's already concensus the other way.

2) I have mapped a piece of common land.  So I mark the area with leisure=common.  There doesn't seem to be a way to say that it's actually grassland.  Can I use landuse=grassland?  This is "field" in which horses or cattle graze during the summer months.  Somehow "landuse" doesn't seem right, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative.

I'm sure there was a third question, but I can't remember it now ...

Tony

#2 2007-05-18 21:02:50

k_b

Re: More questions about tag values

may we also add: religion=christian/protestantian or christian/lutheran?

#3 2007-05-18 21:32:42

Tony Q

I think Protestant isn't necessary, because that is really just a grouping of a set of denominations.  I'm not sure about Lutheran: is that a denomination?  It might be.  The (main?) alternative to Protestant is Catholic, but that is suitably covered in the denomination=catholic, I think.

Tony

#4 2007-05-19 04:41:12

Ben

Heres the wiki page on it >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php … of_Worship  <<, if you havn't found it.  Personally I don't think its nessesery to split things appart other than for the visiual differnces.  So a mosque will look very differnet to a church, but at the same time a modern church may just be a hall, so its inportant not to tag this as a church in the same way as a ye old church as people may look out for it as a key landmark.

Last edited by Ben (2007-05-19 04:41:53)

Ben

#5 2007-05-19 13:50:11

Tony Q

Thanks for the pointer, Ben.  I hadn't found that.  I've entered the discussion there.

Tony Q

#6 2007-05-20 19:13:06

Ben

That page is rather full.  I wonder how nessesery a lot of those tags are.  If we tag each building by each version of each religion that list could become huge.  Personally I think for Maps, unless there are key visual differneces (church/mosque) then its not helpful for mapping, unless thats the place your looking for, but then thats becoming more like the yellow pages than a map.

Ben

Board footer