Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Hi Dacian,
You can find 10m contours for the USA on http://osm.thkukuk.de/
OSM combiner can also eat img’s, not only zip files.
Hope this helps.

Well, I’ve been (very) slowly working on adding contour lines. It already works for countries but not yet for custom maps. This stuff is already complicated and adding another layer adds even more.

Am trying to download the maps for Australia in teh Generic Routable (new style). The Garmin Request map ready email link map takes me to a site containing a file called osm_generic_new_tiles.zip which does not have any installer - which I need to register for mapsource etc.

What step am I missing?

Thanks
(for an awesome product)

Gavin

Hmmm and now the map installer is included.

FIXED

Hi,

I confess I feel like I’m going mad just now. I’ve tried downloading some single maps from within the UK region on my Mac, my iPhone and on Windows, and not a single file I’ve downloaded has worked. I’ve tried opening the IMG files in a different user and in Safe Mode on OS X, and I always get the same message:
“No mountable filesystems”
I tried converting them to Read-Only DMGs - same error message.
I tried converting them to DVD/CD Masters - same error message.

When I try to download the files in Windows 7 using Safari, they vanish the instant they are downloaded!
“File has moved since you downloaded it.”
Every single time.

When I try to download in Windows 7 using IE I can’t even get the drop-down menus to appear on the webpage, so I can’t select anything to download anything at all!

Can someone please help me. All I want to do is download some sections of the UK map for use in Garmin BaseCamp.

Please read the manual first http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin.OpenStreetMap.nl:Manual
For the Mac you need the osm_generic_macosx.zip version and install this with MapInstall I guess (I dont have a Mac).
For windows you need the osm_generic_windows.exe and click on it, thats all.
Iphones are not supported
The img is for the GPS. Clicking on img result in messages like “No mountable filesystems” because your computer cant handle those files. Converting them to DVD doesn’t help you any further, why would you try to do this?

And where do I download osm_generic_macosx.zip? There’s no link for this on that page, nor on the two, “See Also” pages linked on the BaseCamp page, nor on the OS X wiki page.

I’m sorry, but your wiki is not as informative as you may believe.

Maybe this tutorial can help you http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

No.

I don’t think there’s any working advice on how to install OSM maps into BaseCamp on OS X on this wiki. Perhaps some day it will be available, but not today.

By the way, please try not to be so rude to people. Confusing the Garmin IMG file for a disk image file is a common mistake, in fact the second reply on the link above is from a Mac user with exactly this problem, back in 2013!

bhkv, find another map supplier. I cant help you further.

Bhkv, ligfietser is trying to help you in his spare time for free, as he did for countless others. Please don’t be rude even if you can’t figure things out after his multiple tips and suggestions. I do agree that the documentation is rough and has gaps.

I have noticed most of this past week that osm2 osm3 serves have been unavailable leaving things up to the sfs4 server.

Are you aware of this?

Thank you.

Yes, I’m aware of that, sfs4 has fixes that osm2 and 3 don’t yet have. That’s no problem as sfs4 is fast enough to handle all requests.

In the newest map version, these two tiles are still red. It looks like it wasn’t the mkgmap versions.

Schleswig Germany, there is a small red tile you can not enable to download

Hi Lambertus

Been using your facility for years, always with good results, but am trying to get a map out now and am met with a tiny choice of options … basically only map tiles. Would like the windows EXE file and the full 2.5GB gmapsupp.img / zip file, but there are none to be found.

Please advise what I am doing wrong / need to do. (screenshot follows)

Hello

I have been using this great service a bit over a year now - thank you for providing such a useful feature! :slight_smile:

On my Garmin etrex20 I had been using the premade tileset for the Canada, Quebec region (CA-QC-17-12-2014, Generic Routable New) with no issues. Previous versions of the dataset also have had no issues.
When wanting to update to a newer set around 20 Jun 2015, I noticed that several tiles from the set would not display on the eTrex 20 (particularly the CA-Montreal Tile). Everything appears correctly in Basecamp.

Wondering if this was an issue specific with a bad render of a tile or somthing. I verified with a custom made set with the same result. Lurking around the forums and the net, I could not find anything to indicate a specific issue with the etrex20.

I also gave a go at generating a very small set of data from osm using mkgmap in the montreal area that was causing problems; using the .typ file packaged in your sets. That rendered ok (but not identical to your normal rendering , having little experience with mkgmap and what not…)

Thinking that this issue might just resolve itself with the next generation of the datasets, I just downloaded the most recent CA-QC-01-07-2015. And now even more tiles don’t render on the etrex20. (and again it renders just fine in basecamp)
Considering that everything used to work fine - I am definitely suspecting the issue is with the generation of newer tiles hitting some kind of limit of what the etrex20 can render? (I would assume that it’s that since the same data set in dec 2014, there has been more detail/info/poi etc. added in OSM, that is hitting some limit of what can be rendered on the etrex20?)

Obviously I would really like to continue using this service, so wondering if this is a known issue? Or anyone else experiencing this? If I have to generate my own data from osm using mkgmap so be it, but would really like to know if anyone would know what is the limiting factor? (ex: number of POI? Polycount?)

In any case any guidance would be much appreciated. :sunglasses:

The map generation for Germany, New style failed. no zip/img files in the folder :frowning:
http://osm2.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic_new/01-07-2015/1a81529837593eaff0c931679170e26a/

Can I somehow restart the rendering process?

@arandom_gps_user: make sure you have removed the older mapsets from your device. If you have two tiles with the same number, they result in a blank map. You can check those errors with Javawa Device Manager

I’ve been trying to request a manual tile selection routable cycling map…I continue to get the first email with a “check status” URL but the second email does not come through. This is what I’m seeing when I click on the URL in the first email:

“This request could not be found in the queue. Most likely the map is already generated and you received another email containing the url where the map can be downloaded, or you should receive that email shortly.”

Same thing for the last 48 hours. Please advise. Thanks!