Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Dear Lambertus,

Latest on February this year I made a download of Germany (whole country, from the dropbox)
with garmin.openstreetmap.nl

Everything was ok.

Today I wanted to do the same. Normally I got the message “Download map now”, but now the
map has to be build at first, and an info will be sent via email.

When I got the email and clicked the shown URL, the file “osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip” for direct
use on the SD card is missing.

When I was checking Austria or UK this file is provided, for instance for France it is missing, too.

Does this perhaps belong to the two red marked tiles (one to the right of the town Schwerin in
Germany, one to the left of Strasbourg in France)?

Kind regards,
Helmut

Hello,

I marked yesterday 10 tiles around my location and this has been working.

Today I had a look on the provided files: All files available. Fine!

So I have a workaround for my purposes as long as the point “download
whole Germany in one click” do not work properly.

Kind regards,
Helmut

@Lambertus:

Mkgmap developer Gerd wrote me:

Thanks Ligfietser, I’ll update Mkgmap and start a new map update.

Many thanks for this! I’ve just downloaded New England and California/Nevada/Arizona to compliment my CNNA v8. Is there any way to rename the map set from **OSM generic routable **to something more descriptive?

(I use MapSource as my main map viewer)

With Javawa’s tools GMTK (for the maps on your computer) and Device manager you can rename and manage your maps, http://www.javawa.nl

Hello,
Thanks for your support with the gmapsupp.img problem. It is not working yet, but there do appear to be improvements. I now get a file link that correctly shows the file directory. Previously, there were not as many file entries as I am used to seeing. The osm generic folder has a reasonably sized gmapsupp.img file, but when I put the file on my garmin it does not recognize it as a valid file. I also tried the file on a newer garmin that allows multiple map files at one time, and it sees all the map files except my currently made one. I tried making a map file last night, and other today, but neither one is working correctly. Here’s the most recent map request:

http://sfs4.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic/03-06-2015/68025933ee8c6f3b40b321d90dde87b7

I found it interesting that the link was identical to the map request made last night. Perhaps the server is smart enough to realize it has already made this map, and just re-sends the link? But if this was the case, why would it take some time to build the map?

Thanks again for your help,
Regards,
Tim

My GPSMap60 does not complain about the gmapsupp.img.

Yes, the server is smart enough to notice it already created the map. The waiting time is simply because your request lingers in the queue for a while until earlier requests are finished. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip.

I’ve been searching for the past couple of days and reading through as many forums as possible trying to figure out how to create a Garmin img file that contains both OSM AND contour lines. Is there a SIMPLE way to do this?

I downloaded the OSM data from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ which is very simple and straight forward BUT it does not contain contours and the “Transparent overlay with elevation contours” is currently unavailable. I’m sure there has been discussion about this on this forum but I can’t find it :frowning:

I was able to find contours here - http://extract.bbbike.org/?lang=en but they are 40m spacing which is not as good or detailed as I was hoping for. Is there a better place to get these without making them myself? I saw plenty of forums about making your own contours and went down that path only to get confused and discouraged…

So, I now have the OSM Garmin .img file and a 40m Contour file (would like 5m or 10m) and I want to combine them into one map file for Basecamp/Mapsource and my Garmin 60csx. I looked at using OSM Combiner but it wants .zip files, what you get from bbbike.org is an .img, not zipped up tiles.

Long story short, is there a simple way that I can download (and load on my GPS) OSM data over Colorado USA that contains contour lines suitable for mountain biking?

thanks

Hi Dacian,
You can find 10m contours for the USA on http://osm.thkukuk.de/
OSM combiner can also eat img’s, not only zip files.
Hope this helps.

Well, I’ve been (very) slowly working on adding contour lines. It already works for countries but not yet for custom maps. This stuff is already complicated and adding another layer adds even more.

Am trying to download the maps for Australia in teh Generic Routable (new style). The Garmin Request map ready email link map takes me to a site containing a file called osm_generic_new_tiles.zip which does not have any installer - which I need to register for mapsource etc.

What step am I missing?

Thanks
(for an awesome product)

Gavin

Hmmm and now the map installer is included.

FIXED

Hi,

I confess I feel like I’m going mad just now. I’ve tried downloading some single maps from within the UK region on my Mac, my iPhone and on Windows, and not a single file I’ve downloaded has worked. I’ve tried opening the IMG files in a different user and in Safe Mode on OS X, and I always get the same message:
“No mountable filesystems”
I tried converting them to Read-Only DMGs - same error message.
I tried converting them to DVD/CD Masters - same error message.

When I try to download the files in Windows 7 using Safari, they vanish the instant they are downloaded!
“File has moved since you downloaded it.”
Every single time.

When I try to download in Windows 7 using IE I can’t even get the drop-down menus to appear on the webpage, so I can’t select anything to download anything at all!

Can someone please help me. All I want to do is download some sections of the UK map for use in Garmin BaseCamp.

Please read the manual first http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin.OpenStreetMap.nl:Manual
For the Mac you need the osm_generic_macosx.zip version and install this with MapInstall I guess (I dont have a Mac).
For windows you need the osm_generic_windows.exe and click on it, thats all.
Iphones are not supported
The img is for the GPS. Clicking on img result in messages like “No mountable filesystems” because your computer cant handle those files. Converting them to DVD doesn’t help you any further, why would you try to do this?

And where do I download osm_generic_macosx.zip? There’s no link for this on that page, nor on the two, “See Also” pages linked on the BaseCamp page, nor on the OS X wiki page.

I’m sorry, but your wiki is not as informative as you may believe.

Maybe this tutorial can help you http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

No.

I don’t think there’s any working advice on how to install OSM maps into BaseCamp on OS X on this wiki. Perhaps some day it will be available, but not today.

By the way, please try not to be so rude to people. Confusing the Garmin IMG file for a disk image file is a common mistake, in fact the second reply on the link above is from a Mac user with exactly this problem, back in 2013!

bhkv, find another map supplier. I cant help you further.