JOSM not starting

Using Linux Mint Maya, kept regularly updated. JOSM used to work fine from a JAR and the JNLP. For the last few months it hasn’t worked. Running the latest JAR does nothing, and the JNLP gives me the following error,

net.sourceforge.jnlp.LaunchException: Fatal: Launch Error: Could not launch JNLP file.
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:600)
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher$TgThread.run(Launcher.java:889)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: JOSM
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:1404)
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:574)
… 1 more
Caused by:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: JOSM
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.runtime.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:1404)
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher.launchApplication(Launcher.java:574)
at net.sourceforge.jnlp.Launcher$TgThread.run(Launcher.java:889)

Any ideas?

I came across an old version (5356) on my PC and tried that, and it works. Curious, I found a list of older versions

https://josm.openstreetmap.de/download/

and tried several of them. Version 7000 works, but nothing after that.

Around JOSM version 7000 they changed the java runtime version you need to run JOSM from version 6 to 7.

Maybe you have to upgrade your java runtime to version 7.

Franz

I already have OpenJDK Java 7.

but is it used to run jnlp files ? maybe you have another version on your machine as well.

Sorry for the delayed response. I have version 6 installed as well. This is odd - last time I looked I right clicked the JAR and it offered to open it with version 7. Now I do the same and it is offering to open it with version 6. Version 7 is installed but isn’t showing on the list in “Open with other application”. If I choose “Use a custom command” I can’t see OpenJDK7 in usr/bin - anybody know where I might find it?

The JNLP is offering to open with IcedTea Java Web Start - it doesn’t tell me what version!