wtf?

Any comments to this boundary?

no chance for me to fix it :frowning:

Regards
walter

btw: the city boundaries in the states are awfull.

A link to the boundary you are talking about would be helpful :slight_smile:

Sorry, too late this night :wink:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/251350#map=16/43.8490/-91.2532

But i wolud like to get some reactions from their local mappers - we, in europe know about this bull… City boundaries (admin_level=8) in the states are a nightmare.

regards
walter

Several local cities have boundaries that look like that. As the cities expand, they annex one lot at a time - either because the city wants the new land, or they have been petitioned by the landowner to join. Then next door, there is a landowner who doesn’t want to join the city. The result is a patchwork of boundaries like that.

Well, in any case I would the boundary to be at least a closed line - in this case, it is anything but closed, and even intersects itself. I cannot imagine how this would correspond to any real city boundary, no matter by which process it evolved.

Thank’s

that new for me. Livin’ in ol Europe without such things.

Regards
walter

I think it is important to have state and county boundries, but including city limits just makes it messy. A city can cover more than one county and can be in many pieces. Also some cities/towns do not have limits and are “unincorporated”. I don’t think it makes since to mark boundaries smaller than the county level.

Try to look at north Kansas City, MO. Open a new map and look at North Kansas City inside north Kansas City. Things get very confusing in the USA. I visited Budhapest in the late 90s with a group. That was part of the trip. Our motor coach driver took us to the address of the hotel. Budapest has more than one location with the same address. That was confusing.

I’m familiar with the French Island area, I’ve been there a couple of times. But I’m more familiar with areas about 600 miles to the south, where I actually live. In either case, you have the same sort of boundary issues: the other response is correct, that boundaries are often like this in the United States. Where it looks like it crosses itself, well, you could interpret that a different way. For example, if you have a line coming in from the south and out to the north, then later the line comes in from the east and out to the west; you could change that around and say your line comes in from the south and out to the east, then later comes in from the north and out to the west. If it’s mapped one way, you could change it to the other way so that it doesn’t actually cross itself, but just comes in and out of the same point twice.

Near where I live, I’ve noticed city boundaries are sometimes off by quite a bit, up to 1/4 mile, but I have not tried to change any at all. Because I’d have to spend time looking at the city and county web sites and try to verify what the correct information actually is, and so far I haven’t cared enough to actually spend the time. I think there may be some complication in “city limits” vs. “city fence lines,” and are both on the map, or just the city limits? I really don’t know, and right now don’t care to spend the time to try to figure it all out. Like you said, very confusing.