Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

–name-tag-list=name:en,int_name,name:zh_py,name

This is a succes. Just downloaded a tile of China 63240036.img and compared it to that of last week. There are so much less questionmarks.

In osm data of China I see: and GUANGHAN SHI is now in the file. It was not last week.

I have to add that not always name:zh_py contains valid ansi (or is it ascii). But then what does it matter? A questionmark for the one or the other?

Great Job guys. I am continuing to edit my area, and have covered a lot of territory for just myself working on it. Lambertus, I have a question. On your GPS unit, what is your accuracy reading when you are mapping. Mine is 9-14 fee always and was just wondering if this was sufficient.

sphyg: good job, have you become addicted already? :wink:

Under normal conditions, placed on my bicycle mount and clear sky view the GPS displays the inaccuracy as 4-6 m. It gets worse in dense built-up areas or heavy tree cover. Keep moving in straight lines as much as possible helps the algorithms to estimate where you are.

9-14m is sufficient enough, especially if you are in unmapped countryside areas. A line that is possibly 10m off is better then no line at all.

It has come to my attention that some map building requests don’t succeed (resulting in only an osm_routable_tiles.zip). This is probably due to an too-complex tile in the Netherlands (there might be other tiles too). I’ve reported this and hope a fix will be available soon.

I think sphyg had a typo (fee) and he, like me, resides in one of those less advanced parts of the planet where they still use “statute” units rather than metric. 9 to 14 feet is pretty good. Sphyg, are you using an external antenna? WAAS?

I am addicted. My wife is hating me for it. You misunderstood me. Mine is feet. 9-14 feet would be 3-4 meters, not 10. So I am assuming that I am getting a good enough reading for reliable maps. Our measurment are, I belive, 3 feet = 1 Meter

Yes, you’re right. I am using statute. I can switch it to metric to see what I am reading, and if its 4-6 meters then I know I am doing well! I just changed it as a matter of fact, and I am 7M accurate, INSIDE MY HOUSE! :slight_smile: So I will change it back to ft as I know I am doing good enough! WAAS is enabled, but no external antenna. I do it mostly on my bike, so would an external help. May look into getting one if it improves accuracy a lot.

The GPSmap 60CSx is a very good GPS, 4 to 7 meters accuracy is also very good, there is no need to get an external antenna imho. But if you do, please inform us of the gains in accuracy.

I’ve been using a 60CSX with and without an antenna. With an antenna and good observing conditions the EPE number improves (from 15 feet to 7 feet for example) and the signal strength bars are all at full height, but there doesn’t appear to be a significant improvement in tracklog accuracy. I generally don’ t use WAAS, because, the few times I did, I didn’t see any improvement in accuracy.

Two side by side comparisons between an Oregon 300 and the 60CSX in good observing conditions didn’t show any significant difference in accuracy. I’m looking forward to testing both under difficult observing conditions (canyons), but that won’t be for a few months. The 60CSX must be really susceptible to multipath error if signals are limited, because my canyon tracklogs without an antenna can be spot on when I have a good view of the sky, and off by a mile when I don’t.

Hi Lambertus,
thank you for your maps, they are really great!
Today i tried to download a new version of the maps. But the installer for roadtrip, mapsourse and the map for Garmin devices were missing. A second and a third request didn’t solve the problem.
Bye
Jochen

Yes, there are a number of tiles that trigger a bug in Mkgmap which leads to the missing roadtrip, mapsource and gmapsupp files. Trying again won’t help because the requests are cached :wink:

I’m working on applying a possible solution.

Hi Lambertus,

After selecting a few tiles I pushed [build maps] and received an email. Opening the email, I didn’t see the mapsource installer link. A scanned this topic and couldn’t find an answer.

Is the mapsource installer version still available?

Greetings from Johan, Twello nearby

Hallo Johan,

Look two posts up and my reaction directly above yours :wink:

This problem should be solved now. A new update is uploading which should include the translit results for Eastern Europe.

Succes. See: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=48096#p48096

Very good job indeed!

Hi Lambertus,

would you please post here, when its possible to download gmapsupp.img and not only the tiles…

Spielmops

That problem should have been solved yesterday evening. So if you have requested the map after that (e.g. today) then you should have the gmapsupp.img and the MapSource.exe and the Gmapi available for download.

If your browser says it cannot find the directory on the server then I deleted it because of the problems and you will have to request the map again… Sorry about that…

Otherwise, can you post the link from the email you received?

I guess this is a mkgmap problem, but I am not sure if it is known, or even where to post it. Perhaps you can pass this on if necessary.

We had a big lake here that used to be all one way. It rendered fine on OSM and the maps you create, but it was over 2000 nodes. Thus, it was recently corrected (?) by a bot and broken up into several ways and set as a relation of ways to make the lake. It renders on OSM OK, but now it doesn’t show up on the maps for the GPS. I guess mkgmap doesn’t know how to handle the relation yet.

On OSM
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.4705967903137&layers=0B00FTF&lon=127.48929977417&zoom=14>
On Mapsource
<http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7597/examplesq.jpg>

Just thought I’d pass this on in the hopes that it can be fixed soon. Otherwise, thanks for the great work on putting out these maps. Much appreciated.

Robert

So, the area I have been doing all the changes is in red. What happened. It’s not something I did is it?