OpenStreetMap Forum

The Free Wiki World Map

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A fix has been applied to the login system for the forums - if you have trouble logging in please contact support@openstreetmap.org with both your forum username and your OpenStreetMap username so we can make sure your accounts are properly linked.

#51 2014-06-01 20:56:36

valleyofdawn

Re: Military areas in Israel (remove or not remove?)

Isn't that exactly what I suggested?!

#52 2014-06-02 09:04:21

Mr_Israel

Hehe,

yes smile

#53 2014-06-03 11:11:44

zstadler
Website

A non-military fence does not imply access=no. On the other hand, most military firing zones (שטחי אש) do not have fences around them.

On the practical side, fences are not shown on most maps, including openstreetmap.org and opencyclemap.org. Pick your favorite fenced military site and see for yourself...

#54 2014-06-03 11:38:31

valleyofdawn

Zeev,

There was never an issue with firing zones, as they are not secret and appear in formal government maps such as govmap. Everyone should go ahead and map them. Since they cover a third of Israel or so I would recommend that your map doesn't render them too intrusively.

Mapnik renders fences from Z=16 up, as you can see here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/31.7509/34.8631
Israel Hiking Map, as you know, does
Opencyclemap unfortunately does not, but it doesn't render military areas either.
In fact, most OSM-based maps do not show military areas.

We can start by fencing off military ares, it is factually accurate, at least a little helpful, and poses no legal problems as far as I can tell.

If we ever reach a consensus on the military tag, we can easily add it later to the fence.

Best,
Guy

Last edited by valleyofdawn (2014-06-03 11:56:53)

#55 2014-06-03 12:20:33

zstadler
Website

Guy,

You gave an excellent example. I believe no hiker looking at Mapnik would realize that this part of the forest is forbidden.

Given the danger of accidental entry to a firing zone, I believe that the rendering on the Israeli Hiking map is just right.

By the way, military areas are shown on the Israel Hiking map, just like viewpoints, camp sites, fences, and other features, because they provide value to hikers, bikers and 4WD travelers. I'm not running a campaign to map or not to map military areas of one kind or another.

#56 2014-06-10 20:44:37

Mr Massri

Last days a user named Govanus mapped some bases in west-bank acoording to BeTzelem maps. I contacted him and asked to revert his edits. Same story again mad

And Ze'ev.. Your map is really great but bases are target to terrorists same like camp sites are target to hikers. think about it.

#57 2014-06-10 21:07:01

zstadler
Website

Eliot,

I appreciate the positive feedback on the Israel Hiking map.

As for mapping of military areas, it seems to me that you, me, and everyone reading this thread understands the different opinions. I suggest we agree to disagree.

Board footer