Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Great!!! Many thanks!

Help!
I noticed the date under the map has changed to 7/10/2009 which I am sure is after I added a lot of roads to Samal, Philippines. So I downloaded the map but none of the added roads show in Roadtrip. Should I wait for the next date change or is it something I have done wrong?

Thanks

Please edit your previous post and add a OSM permalink to the area in question (which you can get from the lower right corner on the main OSM website map).

Thank you for reacting. I’m trying to understand the whole process of generating tiles and .img files.
So see following remarks and questions in this perspective please.

You mean the .img files as can be downloaded from your …/routable.php ?
Ok. But then if I download two of them. Each with a different codepage and combine them before
putting a gmapsupp.img in the device. Does the device use both codepages then?

For a good understandig: You are not referring to above files further as tiles are you? If so then I have to rethink this problem. For me tiles are the pictures as delivered by tileservers. Those tileservers can easily use a different codepage for every tile they deliver. Upon further thinking: that maybe brings the same problem…

Ok.

That looks a minor problem to me. That is only a small amount compared to the rest of the tiles for a country. If the placenames for Russia were ok but for the frontiertowns I think people would be glad already.

But what do you mean with it’s layout?

Dou you mean tiles with curved lines?

Aren’t the borders marked as such in the osm.xml file that you can get from a piece of earth?
If you could get a ‘way’ (lat,lons in a .gpx-file or so) representing the frontier of Russia and hence it’s area. Then for every tile you only needed a function like:
if ( center of tile is in area )
take cyrillic codepage for this tile

You see: I’m busy thinking about the ??? problem. I do understand that you have to choose a codepage. But you did not convince me that these ??? are unavoidable. I think that you cannot do anything further, it’s mkgmap that places a ‘?’ when the character can not be found in the codepage. If mkgmap just would place the original value instead of a ‘?’ it would already be much better I think.

I’m thinking of another solution.
You use something like --name-tag-list=name:en,int_name,name. That could be easily changed to --name-tag-list=name:en,int_name,name:trans,name. With name:trans I mean a transliterated name. Now there is not such a tag in openstreetmap as far as I know on the moment. But one is allowed to define new tags. My idea is to write a program that downloads osm data for an area. (I know how to do that). Then look for above mentioned tags. If int_name and name:en where absent then name could be transliterated (automatically is simple) and added in that data as name:trans. (I know how to do that also). But then new data has to be uploaded. I do not know how such ‘addings’ have to be send and to whom.

At the moment I could manage everything but for ‘uploading’. How does one change data or add a tag to existing? I know that I have to ask that somewhere else. I will do that if my idee looks doable. Any ideas?

Ha… As soon as after having formulated the problem new ideas arise. Why not add a name:en when it’s missing. Is there a webpage/service where can be asked for an english translation of a russian (town)name? If so then I could better add the name:en. (I know for instance that google delivers coordinates (lon,lot) if you send Land,Place,Street.)

Sorry don’t know what a permalink is I have searched the page and the map and can’t see anything that looks like it would be a called a permalink other than the link to OpenStreetMap.

The tile/map I am working on and downloading is 63240036.img which includes most of the Philippines and Taiwan. The southernmost large island of the Philippines is Mindanao. At the southern end of that is the Davao Gulf and in the Davao Gulf is an Island called The Island Garden City of Samal. This is where I have added a lot of roads.

Open the www.openstreetmap.org website and look at the lower right corner of the map, you’ll see the word ‘Permalink’. That link always represents the current view on the map.

Anyway, I found the area in question.

I do see some roads there and they are edited by you and others. They all show up on the Garmin map that I just downloaded when I zoom in to 700m or less.

Thanks Lambertus,

I found the permalink on the map at www.openstreetmap.org it is
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=6.9638&lon=125.7643&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF

I was looking for the permalink on the map at http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

All the new roads show on both maps. They are all brown dotted lines. I also corrected the coastline all down the east coast but that appears to have reverted to its original state of just jagged approximations.

I downloaded again. I copied the gmapsupp.img file to the GPS and I installed the OSM World Routable.gmapi file using map manager (I have no idea where this is actually installed).

When I open roadtrip non of the roads are there at any zoom level. When I try to send the map to the GPS it says nothing will be transfered, presumably because the map has not changed.

I am lost :slight_smile:

No, the coastline is not reverted, but it’s a special case which doesn’t get rendered immediately (the coastline in the Mapnik database (Renderer) is updated only once in a while). If you look at any editor you will see that your coastline is still as you edited it. It will just take longer to show up on the OSM map.

I’ve checked this way and you created it without a highway type on the 5th of October, then you added the highway type. This might not have made it into the planet dump of the 7th, I don’t know. Anyway, the tagging is correct so I have no doubt that it will show up in next versions.

Relying only on GPS devices is dangerous in some countries :wink:

Thanks again.

I know I am going senile but this was driving me nuts.

Yes you are right I did add the tags later so this is almost certainly the cause of my problem. I have started changing them now as you suggested.

When you send maps to the GPS you have to select the individual sections that you want sent. If you don’t select anything to send you’ll get the message that nothing will be transferred.

I forgot that too :frowning:

Getting old makes things very complicated when they used to be very simple.

Skywolf. I’m in your age bracket and I understand where you’re coming from.

Found all answers on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6 so adding a name:trans tag automatically will be doable. Hope so ;-).

Now to automate all a frontierline in .gpx or other format for Russia or other countries would be nice. Any ideas?

When talking about ‘tiles’ in reference to garmin.na1400.info I almost always mean the blue squares on the map, as they are the Garmin image tiles that combined represent a Garmin map of the world. I’m not referring to the PNG image tiles as used by the slippy map on www.openstreetmap.org.

I don’t agree. Take the Russian/Chinese border for instance. If I would render the tiles that cover both countries with a cyrillic language, then the Chinese would be angry and the other way around the Russians would be angry. So when a tile covers two language areas that cannot be represented with a single code-page then there is a problem. That is why I choose to render everything with Latin1 character set. I leave it to locals to render maps in the local language.

The layout is the way in which the blue squares are arranged and which number they have. With my current setup in render tools these squares and accompanying number can dramatically for a specific area between each render.

Yes, but I don’t know if or when it will be possible to create tiles like that.

I could do that, but I won’t because of what I earlier wrote about tiles that cover multiple countries with non-matching code-page languages.

I’m not sure that Mkgmap adds the ? or that the GPS device puts them in place. I’m sure the Mkgmap development community is thinking (or has done so) about how to fix this. I bet it isn’t possible or easy to do because it would be in place if it would… Sorry this is a bit of a short answer, but I’m not going to manually correct code-pages each week as I don’t want to spend my time on that.

I don’t know how you are going to get the translated name but just as a precaution: You are not allowed to import data from Google in to OpenStreetMap without their approval! I cannot emphasise that enough. Google data is copyrighted and OpenStreetMap violates their copyright if you import it into OSM and you can bring the project into serious trouble if you do that.

Besides, why introduce a new subtag for this? I think perhaps the international name could be used for that…

If you don’t want to use JOSM or any of the other existing editors then you will have to use the API directly.

What is your plan exactly? Are you going to translate every cyrilic placename to something that fits the Latin1 characterset? How do you want to do that? And are you aware of the Garmin maps specifically generated for Russia and other regions?

Ok. Your tiles are the big areas choosable on your site. You cannot do much then.

As I told in my first post the ???'s are in the .img files downloaded from your site. (open a russian one in wordpad, scroll a lot down and you will see them). So it is a mkgmap issue. I once read somewhere that mkgmap would transliterate when appropriate and possible. But apparently it does not here.

The goal is to transliterate a cyrillic name. Not to translate it. To translate a name you need a dictionary. For transliteration only a small table (26 characters or so) to substitute a cyrillic character by a latin one. I have no dictionary for russian placenames. So transliteration is the one. I cannot put a transliteration in an int_name or name:en as it is not as such. So there has to be new tag.

About other russian mapmakers. Cloudmate is nice but not routable. I had already looked on the page you indicated but found nothing suitable.

So I want to write a program using the API to retrieve all the nodes with ‘place’ and add a transliteration if needed.

A node of a ‘place’ like following is ok as there is a ‘name:en’ tag.

The following node has no int_name and no name:en.

So I would like to add a name:trans.

<tag k="name" v="Жуково"/> 

should read

and transliterated

That all can be automated.

At the moment I can already drag a rectangle on the map and download all the osm data for that area in little pieces. Investigate the nodes and add a transliteration tag if needed. I can put everything -nearly- ready to be uploaded. (well I’m almost finished). The only thing I did not do is upload a change or changes.

Ok, I understand now. Maybe the name:trans tag should be name:latin for clarity? And would it be a possibility to post this on the Mkgmap mailinglist and see if the problem can be fixed in the Mkgmap code?

That is the better aproach. Where should I do that? Sorry I dont know all doors yet.

Of course it could be name:latin. But there is much more in it.

A transliteration in Englisch looks different from one in German already.
So it would be name:trans:en and name:trans:de.

But now that I made some runs it looks as if your idea to put the transliteration in name:en or int_name is not as bad. ;-).

For an area in the Ural I get these transliterations: ( On the left the placename in cyrillic. If you don’t see normal cyrillic than change charset of your browser. On the right the transliteration english style ( I think))
Белянка >>> Belyanka
Нязепетровск >>> Nyazepetrovsk
Верхний Уфалей >>> Verkhnii Ufalei
Дружный >>> Druzhnii
Шутихинское >>> Chutikhinskoe
Осеево >>> Oseevo
Заречье >>> Zarets’e
Майский >>> Maiskii
Каргаполье >>> Kargapol’e
Долговское >>> Dolgovskoe
Бакланское >>> Baklanskoe

The name of the tag where to put this in is not important for my program. I try to finish this program without actually uploading anything. Meanwhile I will look at the mkgmap group.

Now I will make a run as to see how many places in Russia need an english translation/transcription.

This is the contact page for Mkgmap.

Thank you Lambertus for the link.

Yesterday I quickly draw a rough 'frontier’line for the Russian Federation. Then there were 44.666 0.25 sized bboxes to be retrieved. After every call and investigation of the result the pogram pauses for a second. That alone counts for more then twelve hours. This morning about one third was done.

Result. 7131 places already with english translation. 14787 to be translated/transliterated. (Two/third has to be done yet.)

I now save the node id in the to do list. The next run I can use it for direct retrieve.

203909926 Полынянка >>> Polinyanka
203911459 Поротниково >>> Porotnikovo
244520275 Новоильинка >>> Novoil’inka
244520330 Гусевр >>> Gusevr
244521077 Новороссийский >>> Novorossiiskii
244521160 Новоказанский >>> Novokazanskii
186978122 Володино >>> Volodino
244520884 Новопокровка >>> Novopokrovka
244521023 Новорождественский (нежил. >>> Novorozhdestvenskii (nezhil.
244520083 Подоба >>> Podoba
244531619 Новокусково >>> Novokuskovo
244531680 Казанка >>> Kazanka
244531718 Старокусково >>> Starokuskovo
203993036 Большедорохово >>> Bol’shedorokhovo
203994082 Воронино-Яя >>> Voronino-Yaya