Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Are you sure about the licenses of the data? imho this is a general OSM problem that should be discussed internationally hot/if we should use this data to best serve all OSM-related projects. After all youre asking for volunteers…

Hi all, I’m new to this. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ but found I was unable to enter required details for country etc. :frowning: is the site still working or are maps just being updated please

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like www.openlayers.org is down at the moment.

Regards,
Peter.

thanks will keep coming back

There were two problems:

1. The OpenLayers server which hosts the JavaScript functions to show the map is not responding which breaks the website. I’m trying to implement a workaround for this problem, but…
  2. I couldn’t login on the garmin.openstreetmap.nl webserver so I couldn’t apply the fix.

Luckily the problem has been fixed. Thanks everyone who reported the problem (on this forum and by email).

Lambertus, the problem still exist for new style and OFM Lite.
And I dont see housenumbers in the general NL’s 25/03.

OFM Lite appears to be working on the website now…not hanging any more.

Thanks for reporting.
Lambertus has now implemented the country names into the mapsets, which was requested in this topic.
Next step will be more complicated, to make it possible to install several mapsets.

In the meantime of this process, users might have difficulties with installation because the installer might not recognize a previously installed mapset because of those name changes.
I strongly recommend to check the installation with tools like Javawa GMTK or Mapset Toolkit.

Working on it.

Do you have any idea what happens if I prerender the tiles with a different family id compared with how they are combined to each country? Currently I render each tile only once and use some of these tiles for multiple countries. It would mean a lot of work for me if the tiles need to be rendered with the same family id as the country it’s going to be used with.

I currently don’t have plans to give custom maps unique numbers, but I can imagine that one day the user will be able to choose his own family id for the custom maps.

Hi, have used OSM previously (superb product and service) but new to the forum, trying to obtain routable bicycle map of Cyprus for my Garmin 800. Tried yesterday and again today but ‘loading data’ is continually showing for choosing a predefined country. Reading previous posts it seems there is a problem, any ideas when this might be sorted? Thank you.

This is fixed much earlier today. If you’re still having this problem then try cleaning your browser cache (e.g. key combo: CTRL-F5 or use the option from the settings/history menu).

Dont worry, that wouldn’t make any difference, so you can still render them with one ID and give each country mapset another FID. The family IDs are stored in the index files, not in the tiles.

There might be a problem, if you put two overlapping country mapsets with duplicate tile img on your GPS. But maybe this was already an issue.

Great!

I could rename the tiles before combining them… will that work?

Im not sure if this is necessary and if there are issues at all, lets first see if it works. If I put two neighbouring and overlapping country mapsets on my GPS I dont see any problem (and I havent heard anyone complaining too).

I only know there was an issue with my OFM maps, when you put two identical mapsets of different version dates on your GPS, the map becomes invisible. Maybe it is caused by an index problem?

No. It’s not just the file name; the tile id is also embedded in the file.

Ok, so no renaming of tile id’s.

How about the typ files? These have now the family id, should the typ file name be updated for each country?

Yes. Why: when combining more than one map in a single gmapsupp.img file you can’t have two different files with the same name inside (a typ file is incorporated in an img file).

-For the typ file name you can use %FID%.typ
-you copy the “master” typfile.txt to %FID%.txt
-mkgmap will automatically convert this FID.txt to FID.typ with the right family ID (dont have to adapt the txt typ file first).

Example (dos batch):

set FID=10143
set typfile=%DIR%\resources\%FID%.txt
copy %DIR%\resources\10140.txt %typfile%
set argsfile=mkgmap.args g:\Maps\%FID%*.img 
java -Xmx8000m -jar %MKGMAP% --family-id=%FID% -c %argsfile% %typfile% 

First attempt, be nice :sunglasses:

How does this look?
http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic/25-03-2014/f60af8b8fd9782fc7f68562e1a471166

/me should be in bed hours ago…

I’m afraid something went wrong there Lambertus.
The FID does not match with the index files.
I suppose you used 23108 for FID, but in the gmapsupp.img I read FID 39328?

In the nsi files the French and Spanish accents are messed up. Something wrong with the codepage I guess.