Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Hi

These maps are fantastic.

To allow automatic downloads of the tiles I require would it be possible to instead of placing the latest versions in dated folders eg

http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/30-09-2009/*.img

put them in a consistent named folder:

http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/latest/*.img

And I’m not sure how easy this would be, but would it be possible to send out reminder emails when they are updated?

Cheers
Dave F.

Thanks Lambertus,

If I understand you correctly, under normal conditions the data I upload (with tags) will show almost immediately in the on-line map. It will then be included in the backup dump on the following Wednesday. Then on the following Monday it will be included in the downloaded tile.

Is this correct?

Many thanks for all the work you are doing.

P.S. Nobody who lives in the area knows of any names for the roads I am mapping so I am assigning descriptive names which are more useful anyway. Am I correct that I can change these names later if the roads are named and change the tags if the current tracks are paved? They are paving some of the roads now.

Yes, just keep an eye on the planet dump date below the map in the webpage where you can request the routable Garmin maps. Monday isn’t fixed.

No worries :slight_smile:

If a road doesn’t have an official name then the local name is best ofcourse. If a name proves false afterwards then you (or anyone else) can change it.

That would be useful if the tile number en position would not change between updates, but that is not guaranteed in any way. So there is no use (imo) to make some sort of permalink.

@Greencaps
The problem (I think) is:

• each image must use a code-page
  • there is no code page that suits every language (UTF-8 is not supported in many devices)
  • tiles often span multiple countries with languages that don’t match a single code-page
    So a solution is to specify a code page for each tile but, since the layout of the tiles often differs quite a bit, this is not workable for me (I don’t want to spend all my spare time on the Garmin maps). So I chose to try to generate tiles that work in most cases and automate as much as possible.

Work is being done in trying to create tiles that line up with country borders which will make specifying different code-pages for each tile much easier. I’ll wait with different code-pages until there are country borders or another easy method (easy=automatic or possible to automate). Specialty maps are intentionally not my goal!

Many thanks.

I feel a lot more comfortable with the system now I understand it better and will add as much as I can.

The reason for the strange overlap effect could be that you didn’t use proper rounding during the re-split. Coordinates in map units for the tile splitter (or mkgmap?) have to be rounded to eleven or so binary zeros.

From how I understand it: Splitter adds a bit more area then required to the split output which is why you see some tiles overlap now. Splitter also adds some information about the target area in the resulting osm file which is used by Mkgmap. If Splitter would use this information during the re-split as well then the problem would be solved. The maintainer of Splitter is planning to add this by the end of this month. That’s what I’m waiting for…

I don’t know if this has been suggested before but the search returned 0 hits.

I would prefer if the map (entire world) was downloadable as a torrent. I have lots of disk space and fast enough internet connection. I don’t know how much bandwidth usage you got on the server but if you got more than what the entire world is to download and enough people choose to download the torrent that should save bandwidth for you.

I’d like to have the entire world since it is such a lot of clicking to choose all the tiles i want each map update. Or is it fixed so that one can download only the tiles one need and keep the rest with the autoinstaller (.exe version)?

Personally I really hate using torrent but what I don’t see is how changing to a different file format/download method would save bandwidth.

Yes, it’s been suggested before, but the search doesn’t work that well atm…

It’s a good idea and should be doable for the server. I’ll look into this.

But this is the problem… You can’t use an installer that came with another map from my site to install the whole world. So I probably should provide a torrent with all the tiles and also include an installer.exe that just creates the registry keys.

Don’t worry, the torrent thing is just extra: and link on the main page to the torrent. The rest of the site will remain the same.

Also, the update for this week is delayed: The planet dump from last week was corrupted and fixing it took much longer then expected.

Thanks I have been checking every day :slight_smile:

Maybe you can answer a question for me.
I have added a lot of roads and because they are all unsurfaced I have tagged them as tracks. But - A large percentage of the roads in the area are unpaved even though they are sometimes relatively major roads by local standards.

Am I doing the right thing or should they be tagged as tertiary or something?

Well this is not a question for this topic, but a major road should have a major indication (like primary, secondary, tertiary). You can add additional information about the road characteristics like surface, quality, width etc.

OK will do. Thanks

Great!!! Many thanks!

Help!
I noticed the date under the map has changed to 7/10/2009 which I am sure is after I added a lot of roads to Samal, Philippines. So I downloaded the map but none of the added roads show in Roadtrip. Should I wait for the next date change or is it something I have done wrong?

Thanks

Please edit your previous post and add a OSM permalink to the area in question (which you can get from the lower right corner on the main OSM website map).

Thank you for reacting. I’m trying to understand the whole process of generating tiles and .img files.
So see following remarks and questions in this perspective please.

You mean the .img files as can be downloaded from your …/routable.php ?
Ok. But then if I download two of them. Each with a different codepage and combine them before
putting a gmapsupp.img in the device. Does the device use both codepages then?

For a good understandig: You are not referring to above files further as tiles are you? If so then I have to rethink this problem. For me tiles are the pictures as delivered by tileservers. Those tileservers can easily use a different codepage for every tile they deliver. Upon further thinking: that maybe brings the same problem…

Ok.

That looks a minor problem to me. That is only a small amount compared to the rest of the tiles for a country. If the placenames for Russia were ok but for the frontiertowns I think people would be glad already.

But what do you mean with it’s layout?

Dou you mean tiles with curved lines?

Aren’t the borders marked as such in the osm.xml file that you can get from a piece of earth?
If you could get a ‘way’ (lat,lons in a .gpx-file or so) representing the frontier of Russia and hence it’s area. Then for every tile you only needed a function like:
if ( center of tile is in area )
take cyrillic codepage for this tile

You see: I’m busy thinking about the ??? problem. I do understand that you have to choose a codepage. But you did not convince me that these ??? are unavoidable. I think that you cannot do anything further, it’s mkgmap that places a ‘?’ when the character can not be found in the codepage. If mkgmap just would place the original value instead of a ‘?’ it would already be much better I think.

I’m thinking of another solution.
You use something like --name-tag-list=name:en,int_name,name. That could be easily changed to --name-tag-list=name:en,int_name,name:trans,name. With name:trans I mean a transliterated name. Now there is not such a tag in openstreetmap as far as I know on the moment. But one is allowed to define new tags. My idea is to write a program that downloads osm data for an area. (I know how to do that). Then look for above mentioned tags. If int_name and name:en where absent then name could be transliterated (automatically is simple) and added in that data as name:trans. (I know how to do that also). But then new data has to be uploaded. I do not know how such ‘addings’ have to be send and to whom.

At the moment I could manage everything but for ‘uploading’. How does one change data or add a tag to existing? I know that I have to ask that somewhere else. I will do that if my idee looks doable. Any ideas?

Ha… As soon as after having formulated the problem new ideas arise. Why not add a name:en when it’s missing. Is there a webpage/service where can be asked for an english translation of a russian (town)name? If so then I could better add the name:en. (I know for instance that google delivers coordinates (lon,lot) if you send Land,Place,Street.)

Sorry don’t know what a permalink is I have searched the page and the map and can’t see anything that looks like it would be a called a permalink other than the link to OpenStreetMap.

The tile/map I am working on and downloading is 63240036.img which includes most of the Philippines and Taiwan. The southernmost large island of the Philippines is Mindanao. At the southern end of that is the Davao Gulf and in the Davao Gulf is an Island called The Island Garden City of Samal. This is where I have added a lot of roads.

Open the www.openstreetmap.org website and look at the lower right corner of the map, you’ll see the word ‘Permalink’. That link always represents the current view on the map.

Anyway, I found the area in question.

I do see some roads there and they are edited by you and others. They all show up on the Garmin map that I just downloaded when I zoom in to 700m or less.

Thanks Lambertus,

I found the permalink on the map at www.openstreetmap.org it is
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=6.9638&lon=125.7643&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF

I was looking for the permalink on the map at http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

All the new roads show on both maps. They are all brown dotted lines. I also corrected the coastline all down the east coast but that appears to have reverted to its original state of just jagged approximations.

I downloaded again. I copied the gmapsupp.img file to the GPS and I installed the OSM World Routable.gmapi file using map manager (I have no idea where this is actually installed).

When I open roadtrip non of the roads are there at any zoom level. When I try to send the map to the GPS it says nothing will be transfered, presumably because the map has not changed.

I am lost :slight_smile: