Garmin maps (for the Netherlands)

Bedankt. Ik zag wel dat bij het uitpakken dezelfde datum van de versie verscheen. Ik heb daar geen aandacht aan besteed (zo iets van vergeten nieuwe naam te geven), maar het kan zijn dat de oude versie onder de installer staat.

sorry for non-Dutch speaking lot amongst you:
Thanks, I saw the same version date when I unzipped the file, but did not pay attention. Could that an old version is still in the installer

Sorry for the late response. You are right, the maps build successfully but used the same old data each time because of a bug in one of the scripts. It’s fixed now.

Hey everybody!

I’m trying to find a good map of Israel for my Garmin Quest, no luck so far…
I found this interesting source of information :

http://www.freemap.co.il/map/

I’m pretty new to the whole GPS thing but from what I see it looks a lot like OpenStreetMap format.
It also sais something about OpenLayer but I can’t really figure out what that is.

The piece of software for mapping that map is RoadMap, if any of you are familliar.

The map format is .rdm.

If any of you have any idea on how to convert those so I can use them with MapSource, please share!!!
Any bit of information will be highly appriciated!!! :wink:

Thanks in advance,
Arye.

My Hebrew could be better (which is an understatement) so I have no idea what that site is about. So here’s some general information.

The OpenStreetMap project has some data about Israel, which can be converted to Garmin maps. But it seems that the project could use some extra help in Israel.

RoadNav is a open source navigation application which the maintainer of the freemap.co.il site has adapted for his specific needs. The file format used by RoadNav is different from the native OSM format and Garmin formap. You won’t be able to exchange maps between them easily.

OpenLayers is a open source initiative to create a client side (browser) map tile viewer, much like Google Maps.

Hi all, hi Lambertus!

Thanks a lot for your support for the community!

Can it be that the nederlands cycle map for garmin x series (nl-cycle_gmapsupp.zip) is broken? It has just a size of 326kB.

Best Regards from Germany

rotbarsch

Yes, it is broken atm. We are working on a new version that also renders cycle network nodes but a lack of proper Perl knowledge and spare time caused the preprocess script to be broken for some time now. We have planned a ‘hacking party’ next Friday to hopefully fix this. So perhaps there’s a new version out next Saturday. Sorry for any inconvenience.

The cycle map problem has been fixed. It now also shows the nodes on cycle node networks.

just a question about routable maps…
is that still a money issue for that particular s/w? cGPSMapper
Note has anyone been about to create a routable map with OSM data ?
I know the author of cGPSMapper has a website you can copy map data that can be compiled , could that be used in the short term?

look at neighbour topic http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=666

thanks for I will cross post this to the person who is create the Australian IMG files to see if this is useful .

Hi,

Hi,
I have a problem with the maps from http://garmin.na1400.info/index.html

I just upgraded to mapsource 6.14.1 (july 18) and now I get an error message stating something’s wrong with the map installation.
Does anybody know what garmin changed in the registry stuff?
My topoNL maps (a commercial mapsource product) does work with the new mapsource version.
(Maybe a tip: to downgrade back to 6.13.7 I had to execute the installer twice. Only once leaves me without the mapsource executable!?)

Paul

Thanks for the report, I will look into this.

Regarding MapSource: I’ve read somewhere that you can keep multiple instances (versions) of MapSource on your system. It also seems that the latest MapSource release does improve rendering somewhat but that it is also much slower than previous versions, so you might not even want to upgrade anyway.

Goed bezug!!! Ik gebruik een GPSmap60Cx met jou garmin kaarten tijdens het mappen. Zo kan ik makkelijk zien wat al bestaat op de kaart en wat niet.

Hi all,

I can confirm the problem Paul has with MapSource 6.14.1. Might have something to do with the tdb file, having some problems with other projects where the tdb references more than one img file. The gmapsupp.img file version still seems to work, so I will use that as long as the issue is not solved.

André

Have you tried any other maps from the Mkgmap download page? If so, do they show the same problems?

I have tried one other download: the routable benelux map (Setup_OSM-Benelux-2008-07-22.exe), but this install gives an error (MapSource not found) with version 6.14. Since then I re-installed 6.13.7. Not only does the Dutch map work with that version, also the Benelux map installs okay.

Thanks for checking this out. It seems we need to recommend to keep using a pre-6.14 version for any OSM map for now until the source of the problem is found.

With new mapsource you should use registry path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\Mapsource\Products\42
instead of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\Mapsource\Products\OpenStreetMap-NL-NORMAL

Is there a special reason why one should use 42 or can that number be randomly chosen?

42 is a ProductID for that map
this value is stored in .tdb file