Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Do you say you’ve uploaded data from Google MapMaker to OSM? This is a huge violation of our policy that only your OWN data or public domain data or data that that has specifically been allowed to be imported in OSM is imported. You should remove the Google MapMaker data from OSM as soon as possible!

This denies the use of MapMaker data in OSM!

https://services.google.com/fb/forms/mapmakerdatadownload/

OK !!!

thats ok, i hade marked for delete the roads upladed, but i had kept on OSM, all what i had done before Myself on GMM, all the nights spent on GMM before i discovred OSM.

and what about the refreshed Data to generat Garmin rootable maps in http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php
i’ll love see what i hade done for my nighboorhood

Let the force be with you
Namec

Sorry that you had to delete the roads which you worked on so hard. But the license of GMM says that Google owns the roads that you worked on instead of yourself, so it really isn’t allowed to import GMM data that you created into OSM. Sad but true.

I have been on holiday so I haven’t had time to start working on improving the garmin maps again.

The maps are far better than the alternative I have and I would like to help fill in some of the blanks but I cant get the map to transfer to my GPS.

I am using only Mac computers and a Garmin Nuvi 265WT I have garmin Roadtrip, Garmin Mapinstall, Garmin Mapmanager and garmin POI Loader.

I downloaded two blocks that cover the Philippines and Hong Kong (I have homes in both places)

Garmin RoadTrip shows the Map on the Mac OK except the sea and land are all the same color.

When I use the Philippines Routable map from another source and use RoadTrip to transfer WayPoints it normally asks if I want to transfer the map but It does not ask when I am using the OSM World Routable map and does not send it to the GPS.

Even if I change the preferences to always transfer the map it just sends the waypoints but no map.

I am stuck. Can anyone suggest what to try?

Thanks

ok, everything done,

Now waiting everyday that you make the new OSM data avaible for download

while waiting i’ll try to learn how to do it my self.
(if you have any tutorial to make this happens, please share it)

Let the force be with you

Problem solved.

For the benefit of other Mac users here is what I did.

I double clicked the Garmin disk on the desktop to open it. Then opened the Garmin folder and there was a gmapsupp.img file so I changed the name to keep it as a backup and copied the downloaded gmapsupp.img file to replace it.

I then checked the GPS and the new map was there but not showing most of the details and roads were incomplete. I figured the map maybe too big for my little GPS so I downloaded only the Philippines block (The top is chopped off but that is not important to me). I then replaced the gmapsupp.img file again and checked.

The new map is there complete with all the details.

Many thanks

I tried to so something similar to Skywolf: I asked for two discontiguous map sets: part of California and all of Thailand. I downloaded this as a Garmin MapInstaller (OSM World Routable.gmapi) file. But, MapInstaller was unable to render a gmapsupp.img from this file.

I tried downloading the two maps separately, but MapInstaller would only install one of them. I tried renaming one of them, but that wouldn’t work either.

Is there some way to download two separate maps from Lambertus’ nice site and have MapInstaller install both of them?

The reason I want to do it this way is that I have other maps which I want to keep on the device (eTrex Vista HCx).

If you download two sets of maps with the same map product and family id’s then it’s no wonder that MapInstaller can’t make anything out of it. It’s the same with MapSource under Windows. I plan to make the product and family id’s configurable so that you can make sure that they are different when requesting different maps, but I haven’t had time to do that yet. So you have two options: use a tool to combine the downloaded maps yourself. Or request the California and Thailand tiles in the same request so that they will be combined by the server.

The problem is that when I requested the California and Thailand tiles in the same request MapInstaller was unable to generate the image file. It crashes every time. If I ask it to install either the California tiles only or the Thailand tiles only, it works, but crashes if I ask it to install both sets.

I’m having trouble using the Thailand tile. Although it displays (mostly) fine in Garmin RoadTrip on my Mac, Garmin MapInstall crashes before displaying the list of installed maps on the system.

Hello Lambertus,
I was wondering if you plan an update of your world map in the near future…

Thanks,
reinhold

Done.

I have no idea what causes the crashes, but please make sure you do not select red tiles if you plan to use the maps with MapInstaller or Garmin RoadTrip on Mac OSX. Please let me know if that helps.

The update is currently running. I hope to be able to upload it tomorrow.

Edit: Err no, I just realized that the current update is going to cause a lot of red tiles in Europe. I’m going to need some script changes before I can deploy a new update which will be next week hopefully.

Two versions have been released soon after each other this week, built with a new script that recursively tries to render each tile until it could successfully be rendered. There are still a few red tiles, but these are caused by crashes of the Java VM while rendering the tile and these crashes are not detected yet.

The tiles that needed a recursive re-split and render (because the original render failed) can have inter-tile routing problems. A solution has been discussed but may take some time to implement. You can recognise a re-split tile by the borders that overlap a neighbouring tile.

The new method of rendering also invalidates the pre-defined country tile selections that were used before. I’ve disabled the pre-defined country selection until things calm down a bit.

I have started Mapping Samal Island, Davao, Philippines as less than 30% of the roads are currently on the map and there are a good many people there using a GPS.

I sent my first part a few days ago which included a couple of locations, quite a few miles of roads and a corrected coast line on part of the East coast. I am hesitant to send more until I know if what I sent the first time is OK.

Can you give any idea or estimate how long it takes for something like this to be added to the map for download? Do you notify the contributor if/when the contribution is accepted or rejected?

Thanks and regards

Frank

If you uploaded your data using any of the techniques described below, it should be visible in Potlatch map almost immediately. If your tracklogs don’t have a valid time stamp, the server will reject them. Time stamps aren’t as much of a problem in JOSM, because you can convert the tracklogs into way types, and upload the ways. Again you should be able to see the uploaded ways in Potlatch almost immediately.

Of course Potlatch works better if you have a fast internet connection. I don’t know what it’s like in your area.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Upload

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potlatch

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM

Thanks this is good news. I uploaded using JOSM (Macintosh computer) but nothing has changed so obviously I did something wrong. I also have no idea what Potlatch is yet.

I didn’t do any conversion in JOSM. I just did the corrections, added the roads and places from my Nuvi 265W and uploaded the folder containing the roads and locations.

I need to learn a bit more and try again. I used to love complicated gadgets but at 65 my brain and memory are not so good as they were and the terminology here is all different to what I am used to.

My internet connection is not good at all but what I am uploading is not a very big file file.

I don’t understand what you say about uploading a “folder with corrections”.

When I use JOSM, I:

1. Download an area to work on from JOSM.
  2. Make additions or corrections.
  3. Upload corrections from inside the same JOSM session when I’m done.

If you upload from inside the JOSM session you should get a dialog box identifying which items will be uploaded (only the changes will be uploaded) and see a progress bar during the upload.

Potlatch is the on screen editor you get when you click on the “Edit” button on the main map display.

I’ve got a fast fiber connection here in the US, so I don’t know what to expect if you get transmission errors, but I do know that sometimes the server gets cranky.

Nice looking bike…

Thanks. I think I did everything the same and I did get an upload progress bar and confirmation so it may be the server lost it. I will try again today when I have prepared the tracks I did yesterday.

I doubt if the connection speed is a problem because what I am uploading is not huge file sizes. If I upload using JOSM does it still show up almost immediately so I can see if it was successful?

I sold the bike a while back but I miss it. :frowning:

Thanks again

I wonder if Skywolf is asking the following:

If I add/edit OSM data, by whatever method, how long does it take my additions and edits to show up in the downloadable map created by Lambertus?

Perhaps I can offer a partial answer. I downloaded two Thailand tiles today (October 5, 2009) from Lambertus. Edits that I made on September 7th show up. Edits that I made on On September 8th and following do not.

Thanks I am starting to get the hang of it. Today I reloaded the tracks from my GPS into JOSM but instead of just uploading I used the draw nodes tool to trace the tracks and correct minor errors. Then I uploaded.

I quit JOSM and then opened it again and downloaded the map again. The roads I added are there with grey lines but when I download the Philippines tile for my GPS they are not there so I assume from this they will show on the Philippines tile after Lambertus has checked and approved or copied to the tile or something.

If I am sure I am doing it right I will continue mapping more roads and places but I don’t want to do too many hours of work and driving only to find it is wrong and I have to start over again.

I got errors saying the tracks were not named and there were no tags but these roads have no names yet so should I name them by when they start and finish, like “Del-Monte to Kaputian Road”? I don’t know what the tags are so I need to look for information on that. In JOSM there is just a grayed out “Paste Tags” in the menu.