Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Hi,
I see no error in OSM data at this place, and routing is ok in Basecamp with my selfmade map. (Didn’t ckecked Lambertus’ map yet).

Edit: OSM generic routable is also ok in basecamp:

Chris

Even generic routable using new style ?

In the swiss community, see
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=22383
I started a discussion on the use of paths with the tag sac_scale=difficult_alpine_hiking. To my opinion the use of such a path by “normal” people without “Mature alpine experience” and without “Familiarity with the handling of technical alpine equipment” could bring them into danger of life.
Now I found, that such paths in Lambertus maps are also handled like normal paths. My proposal: Let such paths away in the maps or show them with another layout.

I’m having trouble with routing in Basecamp after downloading a chunk of the 20130829 map. For example, between N44 20.444 W72 38.644 and N44 20.454 W72 38.669 on South Bear Swamp Road in Middlesex, VT, USA, Basecamp acts like the road is non-contiguous and attempting to route from the south to the north results in a U-turn, heading back south, and then looping in from the north. I don’t see a break in the data via openstreetmap.org. I’m having similar issues on Bushey Road between N44 20.477 W72 37.735 and N44 20.355 W72 37.793 (OSM link) as well as on Molly Supple Hill Rd (just east of Bushey Rd) and French Rd (which intersects Molly Supple).

Is this a glitch in the OSM → Garmin map generation process or is it a Basecamp error?

Another issue: when using Basecamp with either the Motorcycling or Dirt Biking activity preference, I’m getting routed onto hiking trails that are coded in the OSM data as footways. For example, routing from Carse Rd, Huntington, VT to East Rd, Waitsfield, VT should involve going out Main Rd. to VT-17; instead, I’m Basecamp suggests that I continue on Carse Rd., continue on the Beane Trail (a footway), turn onto the Long Trail (footway) and then to VT-17. I’m sure it would be an interesting motorcycle ride, but it seems ill-advised. My motorcycling profile has the “narrow trails” avoidance set; my dirt-biking profile does not. Also interesting is that with the ATV profile or the bicycle profile, I get routed the correct way, as I do with the automotive profile. The hiking profile also sends me up the hiking trail, which would seem to be the correct behavior.

Unfortunately it is a known issue that the routing in Basecamp (as well as the latest GPS units) is not quite compatible with OSM / mkgmap generated maps anymore. You have to play with other settings like avoid carpool lanes (by default turned on in the bicycle mode) or other vehicle modes to make it work. AFAIK “Narrow trails avoidance” does not work with OSM / mkgmap generated maps.

There could be routing problems when crossing map tile borders and having interstate highways avoidance selected. Those tile borders are hardly visible in Basecamp (small line accross the road) but are visible in Mapsource.

I havent followed the latest mkgmap developments so I’m not sure if this issue have been tackled?

I would say when someone wants to do Alpine hiking better use more specialized maps.
Rendering it with another layout would be an option but unfortunately Garmin’s default trail symbols are very limited without a typ file.

Just a reminder that due to works on the power lines, the custom map server will be offline from today until Monday.

Thanks for the reminder!

I agree with this. But nevertheless there are people in the alps who are very careless.
The basic problem is: What is a highway?? If you look to this picture
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/9/98/SAC_SCALE_T6.jpg
is this a highway?? It is from the definition page of sac_scale=difficult_alpine_hiking.

A solution could be to tag such a way not with ( highway=path & sac_scale=difficult_alpine_highway) but only with sac_scale=difficult_alpine_highway ,that means: delete the key highway=path. But this is in contradiction to the definition page of sac_scale, which states that sac_scale goes together with highway=path or highway=footway. To my opinion, there should be defined, that sac_scale=difficult_alpine_hiking is no highway and should be used only without the highway tag.

I understand what Opasto is saying. I suggest rendering/routing this type of highways on garmin.openstreetmap.nl in a different style/way and if this is not possible just skip these in the map by changing scripts. Nobody wants the occasional hiker to enter these kind of paths just because he/she was unaware of the difficulty of the path. I’m glad I live in the Netherlands which is as flat as a pancake :wink:

I am trying to install a map (Generic Routable) with mapnik style. The typ file is included, but seems to be ignored: All features show up in Garmin default style, e.g. forest as red horizontal hachures.

I have also investigated the family IDs, but don’t see any obvious problem there. The typ file is named 2000.typ, has id 2000 according to http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi, and the corresponding key ID in the windows registry reads d0 07 which seems to be matching, too. Does the mapnik style work for everyone else?

It should work, perhaps you can try to empty the cache (ctrl-G 2x)?

Funny enough (as it was a very fresh installation I would not have suspected to cache anything yet), that did the trick. Thank you ligfietser!

¿The scripts or mkgmap options and styles used to build the Lambertus are public?
I’m triyng to investigate why i’m seeing different routing and routing indications behaviour between Lambertus’s map and others.

Here you can find the styles:
Generic Routable =default mkgmap style
Generic Routable (testing new style)

Maybe Lambertus can post the mkgmap parameters, or you can search earlier in this topic.

The scripts aren’t public. Not because I don’t want to share them but because the scripts are very specific for the setup of servers I’m working with and I don’t have the time to provide support for anyone who wants to get the scripts working. I’ll be more then happy to supply the scripts to anyone seriously interested though, just send me an email.

The styles are public:
Generic normal & Generic with Mapnik style: standard Mkgmap styles
Generic new & OpenFietsMap Lite: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13257

I should provide easy access to the Mkgmap options but haven’t done that yet. I copied them below:

Tile rendering step for the Generic map:

$name = "generic";
$description = "OSM Generic Routable";
$family_id = "2000";
$product_id = "6";
$mapid = 63240000;

--family-id=$family_id";
--product-id=$product_id
--draw-priority=20
--description='$description'
--series-name='$description'
--style-file='$style_dir'
--style='$style'
 --bounds='$bounds'
--reduce-point-density=4
--reduce-point-density-polygon=8
--precomp-sea='/home/lambertus/garmin/utils/sea.zip'
--show-profiles=1
--add-pois-to-lines
--index
--location-autofill=bounds,is_in,nearest
--latin1
--ignore-maxspeeds
--remove-short-arcs
--min-size-polygon=10
--merge-lines
--add-pois-to-areas
--preserve-element-order
--process-destination
--process-exits
--route
--name-tag-list=name:en,int_name,name:zh_py,name:engels,name

Map building step:

$description = "OSM generic routable";
$underscored = 'osm_generic';
$family_id = 2000;
$product_id = 6;
$overview_name = "63240000";
$copyright = "'Map data © openstreetmap.org and contributors'";

= "java -Xmx6144M -jar $utils_dir/mkgmap/mkgmap.jar";
--index
--overview-mapname=$overview_name
--overview-mapnumber=$overview_name
--family-name='$description'
--family-id=$family_id
--series-name='$description'
--latin1
--description='$description'
--product-id=$product_id
--tdbfile
--nsis
--copyright-message=$copyright
--gmapsupp 63*.img ovm_63*.img 

Thanks. The mkgpamp options is all i need to start.
I let you know if i need other details like mkgmap revision number.

You can find the mkgmap revision number in the license.txt file (in the download link) or in Mapsource under the copyright notes (ctrl-U)

Hi, I’m having a problem installing 2 ‘OSM generic routable’ maps side by side. Google isn’t being helpful, although it did direct me here.

This is what I’ve done so far:

1. Downloaded and installed the ‘OSM generic routable’ map of United Kingdom from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

2. View map in Mapsource. Map works fine. Close Mapsource

3. Used JaVaWa latest version (3.5) to change FamilyID (2000 => 2044) and Name on Computer, Device and Folder all to ‘OSM GR UK’

4. View map in Mapsource. Map works fine. Close Mapsource

5. Download custom ‘OSM generic routable’ of Ontario (manually selected some additional tiles)

6. Attempted to install the Ontario map, error displayed by the Installer is : “OSM generic routable is already installed. Click ‘OK’ to remove the previous version”.

At this point I cancelled as I don’t want to trash the UK maps already installed.

I can’t figure out whether I’m doing something wrong here, or if we have a problem. I’m familiar with Garmin maps, registry settings and so on, and I’ve checked the registry after JaVaWa does its thing and the changes have been applied as I believe to be correct. I don’t have any other maps in the registry with FamilyID of 2000. JaVaWa does not report any conflicts or problems with the current map set up.

Any ideas what to try next?