Routing website using Gosmore routing engine

If you convert to your local NL grid, or .se grid, or like OS grid in uk, the code will still be the same for all countries. Since one unit equals one meter. This has several benefits, but is most probably too hard to do since there are too little information on how you use these grids. And there is no server available that can use multiple grids

Yes incomplete data in OSM is a problem, but if you can you should try to find these inconsistencies. This is something that should be easier todo when we can see what happens with routes, this would make it easier to fix topology.

Are you sure these will add much to the time?

• DGPS wasn’t used
  • People don’t drive, cycle or walk down the middle of the road

Then how do we add it? I’m guessing you can’t do that with current OSM data. At least it must be very hard to do for cars.

We need:

• crossing=lights/uncontrolled
  • speed
  • traffic_jammy

Anything else?

emj, perhaps it’s nice to know that our server is currently crunching away on the planet file to allow worldwide routing :slight_smile:

I’ve tried to accomplish that using a single Gosmore .pak file for the whole world, but that won’t work since our server is 32bit currently. So instead I’ve split the routing backend into two (America and Eurasia) in an attempt to limit the .pak file size.

The only backside of this approach is that you won’t be able to get the routing engine to produce a route that would require you to swim from Boston to London across the Atlantic ocean :stuck_out_tongue:

This worldwide service will be available as long as our sponsor allows us to and as long as it doesn’t interfere with it’s main function: serve slippy maps for the Netherlands. I think it will be able to process about 10-20 route requests per second (about 0.03 seconds per request) under optimal circumstances (estimate, the service isn’t up and running yet). Under worst conditions it will be able to only produce about 8 requests per minute as Gosmore sometimes seems to choke on the data causing it tor run for minutes on end, but limited with ulimit).

Update: Gosmore choked on the Tiger data in North America, so routing only works for Europe, Asia, Africa and Polynesia: http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/~lambertus/routing-world.

Nic Roets, you might find it interesting that a first attempt to route from Camps Bay Cape Town to Graaff Reinet (which I drove once) was calculated in about 41 seconds and returned almost 2000 nodes :slight_smile:

Works nicely, as you say a little on the slow side.

Hey don’t bite the hand that feeds you!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Lambertus, it works nice. In Germany too!
Ok, i know the German Language is a little specialy…
The routing works not with the Caracter like “ß” it meens “ss” but in many Street Names there is a “ß”.
Georg

I think looking up a street, city combination for the ‘to’ and ‘from’ coordinates doesn’t work? If so, can you tell me if the namefinder service works properly with “ß” characters?

The namefinder service works with “ß” no Problem :slight_smile:
But the Routing Demo dosen’t. Test this please “from: Friedenstraße, Aßlar” “to: Bergstraße, Wetzlar”…

It’s not a big Problem, it’s a great work from you! And when the Software will finished it will work very well, i think.:slight_smile:

Georg

The routing site uses the namefinder service lookups to translate street/city names to coordinates through a proxy. This is what namefinder responds:

<searchresults 
  find='Friedenstra�e, A�lar' 
  sourcedate='2008-06-06' 
  date='2008-06-06 20:28:13' 
  distancesearch='no' 
  findname='Friedenstra�e' 
  findplace='A�lar' 
  error='place not found'
>

Probably has something to do with URL encoding. It’s on the todo list now.

Late update: this has been fixed a long time ago.

I added route altitude profile image feature for routes less then 400 nodes. The image is generated using Sjors Provoost’ GSOC code/service.

Still looking for a way to be able to add support for North and South America…

Thanks a lot for this service, tested one route on foot and immediately found an error in the data :slight_smile:

Regards, Florian.

That’s great :slight_smile:

The routing works well but I find that when I try to zoom in on part of the route, the blue line showing the route disappears. Maybe this is another IE bug?

Oliver

Afaik this only happens on the highest zoom level and when you zoom out one level the route appears again. Is this the same behaviour that you are seeing? If so, it has been this way since the start of this project and I’m not sure why…

Edit: I changed the number of zoomlevels from 19 to 20 and now you can zoom in all the way and still see the route vector.

PS. I must say that I develop this service using FF 2 and FF 3 with the occasional check in IE. I know that the site looks odd in IE but my CSS skills to fix that have yet to be developed :wink:

It works good in Opera. I already found many bugs in OSM-Data, using your tool…

Just the map is too small … can you make the width variable?

How often is the database behind the routing application updated? (in the Help it says that is updated once a week after the new planet dump is finished, but I made some modifications and this week I haven’t seen any update). It will be available pretty soon or it will take another 2-3 days?

Btw, great tool, it really helps us findinf errors in the database.

Things like updates have stalled because of my holiday… I will get to it asap.

I will try to but my CSS skills are next to 0 and I’m glad that it works in FF and Opera as it does now…

@Lambertus: I sent you a mail with HTML and CSS … i hope it will help you to make the map width variable …

That’s very cool, thanks! I’ll look into it.

BTW. I can’t get Gosmore to do a rebuild of it’s database so unfortunately no routing atm…:rolleyes:

Good news, a patch for Gosmore persuades it to rebuild the routing database again. So the routing service should be back in business again. Sorry for any inconvenience…

Unfortunately I have not received your mail. Can you send the patch to osm at na1400 dot info please? Thanks!

I tried to send it via the form in the forum. Now i sent it to your E-Mail…

If you have any questions about it, you can ask me.