Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Hi
I download one part of your routable worldwide map for Mac
I got the Mac installer for Roadtrip, the installation runs perfectly…
But when I try to transfer the map to my GPS Garmin unit, the map is not transfered… It appear like a basemap…
I have other maps in my roadtrip and I can upload them without any problem to my GPS Unit
I also try to transfer using direct mapInstall… the same… all the installation procedure goes through, my GPS unit switches in “Transfer mode”… thn as soon as the stransfer is done… the map doea not appear in the GPS Unit…
Any advise?
Thank you

And the map shows fine in RoadTrip? Can you post a link to your map request (from the email). I have no idea atm.

CdM,

is this not a Garmin issue? Don’t know which type you’ve got, but the map should be visible in the folder Garmin on your GPS.

Can the first new feature be letting Canadians (and those from other countries, of course) experience these maps that we’ve only been able to read about lately? Please. :wink:

Regardless, your hard work is much appreciated.

The difficult part of trying to deal with the problems in Canada and the USA is the sheer amount of data involved and that I cannot perform tests on hardware that is under my control due to lack of memory (my laptop has 4GB which isn’t enough). Therefore splitting is done by someone else with access to a beefy university server. It is difficult to do debugging and testing through the hands of someone else.

So the (not so) funny thing is that I can add more types of maps or other features more easily than addressing one of the biggest problems with the current setup.

However, the source of the problem is found and already fixed in the latest splitter versions. I’m trying to get this new version into action, but testing takes long (a single cycle often takes longer then one day). But I expect to be able to provide maps for northeast USA and Canada soon, maybe not updated every week but we’ll see.

The second thing I’m working on is a webpage that can be used as a tool for splitting up problem areas and thus produce new configuration files for splitter. This will make it easier for me to fix the red tiles in Denmark and anywhere else they might popup. This is also made possible by recent changes in splitter.

Hello, I appreciate Lambertus activities very much.
Would it be possible to change the tile arrangement in a way that
New Zealand comes with less water and other area in the tile(s)?

With all the problems with computing power, disk space, planet dumps that contain invalid characters, software bugs, the tile bounding box configuration is the last thing I’m looking at. So I’m saying, with respect: no, for now at least. I have plans for making a tool that helps me split and combine bboxes. Once that is in place then tile configuration is easier. But tbh: I could not care less about having an island surrounded by a lot of water…

Hi and thank you for your work on the Garmin OSM maps. I am new at this and not an expert. I am working on a Mac so after selecting tiles and asked to generate the map, I downloaded both the .img file and the RoadTrip installer. Before I go any further and try to transfer the .img to my Garmin GPS devide (Dakota 20), I tried looking at the map in RoadTrip. I don’t see any roads or streets… only names for places and a few waypoints. Is that normal?
The tiles I selected are for eastern Canada and northeastern USA.
Thanks for your help

This is a known bug (that has been discussed in this thread a few times before :stuck_out_tongue: ) I’m working on an update for America which has been built with new software that should fix this. It should be online within a few hours.

Hi Lambertus. I wanted to thank you for the site. I just found out about OpenStreetMaps last night and was having problems getting things to work right from the wiki. I searched and found your thread here, used your tool, and was able to take the .img file directly from the emailed link and it worked like a charm on my 255w.

Thanks for all the work put into it! It makes doing this stuff too easy for a nub like me.

Good news:
A new set of tiles for North/South America is uploaded and the blue tiles should work fine. The red tiles have to be split again which will happen in the coming weeks, but it will be a slow process so relax. Looking at America you might think it look worse then before because of all the red tiles, but the tiles that are blue are actually much better then before: Instead of containing often only nodes and POI the American tiles now also include the ways and other OSM features. I hope the people from the America’s will enjoy this :smiley:

During the update process I had to remove every existing map cache that included American tiles (73240xxx.img). I hope this didn’t hit too many people. I hope the improved American tiles will compensate any inconvenience and if not, sorry…

You’re welcome :slight_smile: I hope anyone who finds this service useful will consider doing something back for OpenStreetMap.

Thank you Lambertus. And I took your advice: worked on OpenStreetMap for my neighborhood and fixed a few things.

A huge thank you Lambertus. I’ll give this a try when I get home from work today - I am one of the lucky “blue tiles”. You are providing a great service for the community and things like this help raise awareness and involvement in OpenStreetMap.

Indeed, I have been discovering more and more of OpenStreetMap as of late, even without being able to use the maps on my GPS. It’s actually quite addictive for some reason - naming roads near me, fixing errors, etc. It’ll be great to be able to see/use some of that work on my GPS unit now too.

Oh yes, OSM is highly addictive. I guess they should put up a banner on the main site warning every newcomer about this danger. But, on the other hand, if you go around e.g. cycling while mapping then it will be healthy for your body. :slight_smile:

I loaded the my map on yesterday and it works brilliantly. Thanks again. It is amazing how many unconnected nodes and other small errors that you can find when you actually try a few routes.

Quick question though: how frequently do the maps get refreshed for North America? If I go ahead and make some changes on OSM, when should I download a revised version to test them out on the GPS? Is there a set schedule (every other Monday or something) or is it a little more random than that?

I’m certainly not “requesting” - just asking. You’ve already done a lot of work. I’m just curious how often I should download so I don’t waste server bandwidth downloading maps that I already have.

Thanks again - this is awesome.

I try (mind the word ‘try’) to update the maps once a week. But knowing the amount of work to get just this render of America working, it wouldn’t be realistic to say that America will have weekly updates in short term. When my tools get better and my home internet connection finally gets delivered and perhaps a bit more ram for my laptop, then update frequencies will go up.

Just keep an eye on the planet date as displayed below the map to know whether an update has arrived.

Just following up on my post from a few week’s ago. Is this something you are able to change?

I don’t maintain my own stylesheet for Mkgmap because I really don’t have the time to do that, so I’m using the default stylesheet that comes with Mkgmap. Therefore I sent an email to the Mkgmap mailinglist to address this, but I admit that I haven’t been following it up properly.

If you have a patch to move the boundaries to a higher zoomlevel, then I can post that on the Mkgmap mailinglist.

Hi,
A quick note to say thanks!
Great work!
I just want to apologize, as i accidentally made a request for all of Canada. Where i should have just saved those IMG files for each tile, then i could have made my own garmin installer from it. I think the zoom would work fine.

Unfortunately, there is no way to cancel it, but it shoudn’t happen again.

Anyway, once the installer is loaded, i think it shoudn’t be much trouble to re-compile it with Inno Setup & mapsettoolkit.

Best,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails

BTW, im using the Openmtb.org style sheet, and it looks AWESOME!

You don’t need to apologize at all. If the server accepted your request then that’s just fine. The tile limit was built-in because there were too many people who requested either all of the world or most of it, which is a user case that is not targetted by this service. Ofcourse downloading your country should not be a problem (unless we’re talking about the USA, which is the exception to the rule).

Yes, it’s a very nice stylesheet. I’m planning to have a few stylesheets selectable.