Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

In the Windows version of Mapsource and Basecamp (?) you can press ctrl-alt-a and set the geographical height of your location (netherlands: 52 degrees). Default the value is on ‘auto’. Maybe this will work in the Mac version too?

BaseCamp for Windows doesn’t have that option; you need MapSource or JaVaWa GMTK to change the projection angle. BaseCamp will use that value.
On the Mac it isn’t possible at all.

Ouch! I just happen to be on a Mac… :frowning:

I did some inquiries on the Garmin forum (tried it before without getting a response), and got an answer this time: yes, it is possible on the Mac too.
It will be an option in JaVaWa GMTK version 3.2 (coming soon).

JaVaWa GMTK 3.2 is available now: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

thanks for the update! :slight_smile:
The destinations work quite good but as I have seen the --process-destination and --process-exits are only used in the normal style … Maybe you can add this to the new style too?
I’m also waiting wishfully for the next update with r2654 where the housenumber matching is improved on roads with ref tag. :slight_smile:

@ popej: how can this be done?

When the newest map (Openfietsmap Lite) will be? :wink:

You mean good routing? I don’t know a solution but I can suggest a design target.

On Garmin maps routable roads are divided into 5 classes. Class 4 are main roads, which are important for long distance routing. They should create clean and continuous network.

On a generic map of Poland class 4 roads looks like this:

There is no network, only some separate roads. On that kind of map current nuvis and latest BaseCamp won’t calculate any longer route.

Next picture is a part of network from Holland:

It is dense enough to get good routing but have some irregularities, which probably could be improved.

Other problem not visible on these pictures is continuity. Any break in network can exclude whole segment form calculations. This probably include links between highways.

I don’t think that creating good network could be done automatically. It would need manual work. And probably there won’t be general rules, since roads networks in different countries are very different, like the 2 examples above.

in my case i think the network is complete and fully connected. (Because Vienna - Innsbruck; Innsbruck - Verona are working but not directly Vienna - Verona) As i have seen in the style file motorway links are currently class 3. So maybe they should also have road class 4? Also maybe add primary roads to class 4 to get a main network.
For my feeling also the routing currently is not always preferring highways and routes instead on primary roads because they are shorter. (For example Vienna where the nuevi mostly routes on the primary roads instead of going the longer, but faster way on the motorway. Is there the maxspeed and the number of traffic lights included in penalizing these roads on the link weight? Average speed on motorway is 80kmh where on a typically inner city primary road with intersections and traffic lights it is 35kmh.

There are many problems to consider.

First is that Mapsource calculates differently then current version of BaseCamp. Older nuvis calculate different then current models. You can get route on one device and failure on other.

Short distances are calculated differently then long distances.

Network could be complete but too complicated to calculate long route. Network with long roads is easier to calculate than the same network divided into more short roads.

Speed is included in calculations, probably crossroads and turns too. I don’t think traffic lights are included but you can decrease speed of road with lights.

You can experiment with motorway_link. I think class 4 could help.

no change with class 4 for motorway links. i also tried additionally to increase primary roads to class 4 to get an austrian wide network but he fails calculating the route every time for routes for ex from vienna to bregenz, or vienna to innsbruck (without having the motorway over rosenheim in the map such that he can route over the “große deutsche eck”) maybe i have a problem with the style file because when i removed the line concerning tracks, tracks are again visible and routeable in the map, normal behavior?

What program or device are you using? I think Mapsource should be able to calculate your routes but latest BaseCamp has a bad routing, not suitable for OSM at all.

I’m experimenting with routing network in Poland. I have set class 4 for following roads:
motorway and motorway_link
trunk, trunk_link
primary and primary_link with valid int_ref
primary and primary_link for selected national roads
roundabouts with above road types

With these settings I can get working routing across whole country. I think that other countries could have other requirements, depending on their roads network, since too many roads with class 4 is a wrong solution too.

I use a nüvi 205 and 1390. Currently i’m not able to include my maps into MapSource … I think my mkgmap run didn’t include my changes made to lines.

See how looks class 4 in Europe, won’t be easy to make it usable.

Well, what about putting class 4 either for highway=motorway plus motoway_link, plus trunk and trunk_link - and then additionall all streets with an E-Number. I think E-number relations are quite complete in OSM, aren’t they?
Plus for GB add the Eurotunnel and the ferry as class 4 routeable.

Good idea! I played around with class 4 for motorway_link and trunk_link and got a better routing in austria on my nüvi 205

International primary roads should be include, especially for East Europe. They are red on this picture.

Notice: The weekly update is delayed a few days because of broken daily diffs.

Hi Lambertus,
Can you have a look at the overview map, it is still not included in the maps (overview maps are empty).
I think the ovm_*.img’s are not processed during the 2nd step of your map generation and deleted after the 1st mkgmap step?

Hello: Plz tell me how can I download a 2nd map to use it with Mapsource,
because when I tried, the .exe file of the 2nd map erased the 1st one :frowning:
I want to download Italy and France files for Mapsource
Thxs in advance :wink: