Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Thanks Lambertus!
Your debugging caused some confusion: http://forum.gps.nl/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=40962&p=341066#p341066
Apperently some crucial installers were missing, hope it will be ok next time :wink:

BTW, maybe it is better to make the following files / folders invisible (or maybe visible by clicking on a link “show other files”?) because the longer the list of files, the more confusing it will be for less experienced users:

Parent Directory
tiles.txt
country.txt
63240000_license.txt
63240000.nsi

Unfortunately yes, I noticed Mkgmap created an NSIS installer script that included some files that were not available and then NSIS won’t create the installer :frowning: It took a while before I found out what needed to be done to fix it.

I’ll try but it will likely mean that I can’t use the simple .htaccess solution anymore. I’ll look around for a suitable alternative.

I use htaccess too for my Germany files, http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/openfietsmap/germany/ works fine.
Just specify it in the IndexIgnore ?

Another solution is to leave the 3 most needed files (windows, mac and gmapsupp) in the root dir, and all other files in a subdirectory but then you need to change the scripts more. :wink:

I’m interested in the new feature the overview map :slight_smile:
Is the overview map also routable? As I understood it is a reduced map as the basemap on the nüvi is? Maybe so the long route problem could be solved? Because if i have only the Austria OSM map on my nüvi, he is able to route to far away destinations simply by switching to the reduced map at the borders … Due to the increasing osm data i have more and more problems also with inner austrian routes …

No this overview map isn’t routable. The routing takes place at the most detailed zoomlevels, so it doesnt solve the long routing problems, it only helps to draw the maps more quickly on the screen.

OK, so only reducing the number of ways (ex tracks for a car only map) could help to solve that problem?

Routing will work if data is prepared correctly for routing. This means proper dividing roads into categories and preserving continuity in main categories. Creating clean network of main roads would help, number of other roads is not so important.

If the option “avoid unpaved streets” is enabled, the nüvi does also not route over tertiary streets which have the tag surface=cobblestone. (many streets in old towns) I thought that this option only avoids unpaved tracks > trackgrade 1?

No, it affects all kind of highways with the following properties:

# Flag unpaved roads.
highway=*
& (surface=cobblestone | surface=compacted | surface=dirt |
   surface=earth | surface=grass | surface=grass_paver |
   surface=gravel | surface=grit | surface=ground | surface=mud |
   surface=pebblestone | surface=sand | surface=unpaved |
   mtb:scale=* |
   tracktype ~ 'grade[2-6]' |
   smoothness ~ '.*(bad|horrible|impassable)' |
   sac_scale ~ '.*(mountain|alpine)_hiking' |
   sport=via_ferrata)
{ add mkgmap:unpaved=1 }
(highway=bridleway | highway=path | highway=track | highway=unsurfaced)
& surface!=* & tracktype!=* & smoothness!=* & sac_scale!=*
{ add mkgmap:unpaved=1 }

Report of strange map display aspect ratio problem

Downloaded Generic Routable version of UK/Iceland earlier (Mac version) and when imported into BaseCamp, the map is squeezed East-West. Never had problems with all the other maps from the server for other regions of the world. Have tried it a second time and the same happened.

Anything I missed? Thanks. :roll_eyes:

There is quite a number of bug reports about this on the Garmin forum, like this one: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?9459-Custom-map-display-distorted

I think in Garmin-speak this is a feature, not a bug…

In the Windows version of Mapsource and Basecamp (?) you can press ctrl-alt-a and set the geographical height of your location (netherlands: 52 degrees). Default the value is on ‘auto’. Maybe this will work in the Mac version too?

BaseCamp for Windows doesn’t have that option; you need MapSource or JaVaWa GMTK to change the projection angle. BaseCamp will use that value.
On the Mac it isn’t possible at all.

Ouch! I just happen to be on a Mac… :frowning:

I did some inquiries on the Garmin forum (tried it before without getting a response), and got an answer this time: yes, it is possible on the Mac too.
It will be an option in JaVaWa GMTK version 3.2 (coming soon).

JaVaWa GMTK 3.2 is available now: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

thanks for the update! :slight_smile:
The destinations work quite good but as I have seen the --process-destination and --process-exits are only used in the normal style … Maybe you can add this to the new style too?
I’m also waiting wishfully for the next update with r2654 where the housenumber matching is improved on roads with ref tag. :slight_smile:

@ popej: how can this be done?

When the newest map (Openfietsmap Lite) will be? :wink:

You mean good routing? I don’t know a solution but I can suggest a design target.

On Garmin maps routable roads are divided into 5 classes. Class 4 are main roads, which are important for long distance routing. They should create clean and continuous network.

On a generic map of Poland class 4 roads looks like this:

There is no network, only some separate roads. On that kind of map current nuvis and latest BaseCamp won’t calculate any longer route.

Next picture is a part of network from Holland:

It is dense enough to get good routing but have some irregularities, which probably could be improved.

Other problem not visible on these pictures is continuity. Any break in network can exclude whole segment form calculations. This probably include links between highways.

I don’t think that creating good network could be done automatically. It would need manual work. And probably there won’t be general rules, since roads networks in different countries are very different, like the 2 examples above.

in my case i think the network is complete and fully connected. (Because Vienna - Innsbruck; Innsbruck - Verona are working but not directly Vienna - Verona) As i have seen in the style file motorway links are currently class 3. So maybe they should also have road class 4? Also maybe add primary roads to class 4 to get a main network.
For my feeling also the routing currently is not always preferring highways and routes instead on primary roads because they are shorter. (For example Vienna where the nuevi mostly routes on the primary roads instead of going the longer, but faster way on the motorway. Is there the maxspeed and the number of traffic lights included in penalizing these roads on the link weight? Average speed on motorway is 80kmh where on a typically inner city primary road with intersections and traffic lights it is 35kmh.