Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Housenumbers are not rendered, that is correct. They should popup if the housenumber search was optimal, but this isn’t yet.
Another option would be to render all housenumbers as poi, but this would clutter the map and the index so I dont think it is a good thing to do.

Hi Lambertus,

I find unexpected (to me) behaviour when using this option:

Case 1: I choose a pre-defined country (Ireland) and download the gmapsupp file, then put it directly on the SD card. The Mapnik style is used on the device.

Case 2: I customise the tile selection (most recent example - to get Ireland and GB together). Whenever I do this I do not get the Mapnik style on the device.

Is this known about/expected?

Another (harmless but interesting) quirk. A number of the map sections for Ireland are named for the Irish language name of the place (present in name:ga but not name). “Sligeach” is one such example. This behaviour is inconsistent. Any reason this happens?

Thanks!

Thanks, this was not know to me and should not be expected. Clearly something goes wrong on the custom map server while including the Mapnik stylesheet. I’ll check it out, thanks.

I assume you’re talking about the tile names as they appear in the list on the website when you select them? If so then this is not a result from OSM data processing but the ‘cities15000’ file that is used to find a more suitable name then just a number. I can’t really remember where this file came from but it is unrelated to OSM.

Those tile names come from geonames.org: http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/
Lambertus, maybe we should mentioned this as source on the website or in the license file, see their license at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/?

I just tried the 6/6 update but the overview map is still missing. I guess the ovm img files need to be included in the final map generation step?
Those files are relatively small btw.

Spent a few hours debugging yesterday and it looks like the overview map is now working based on what I see in BaseCamp/MapSource. :slight_smile:

You’ll need a map that is built yesterday evening or later so most of the country maps still don’t include the overview map but any new maps should be fine.

A copyright notice is added to the site.

Thanks Lambertus!
Your debugging caused some confusion: http://forum.gps.nl/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=40962&p=341066#p341066
Apperently some crucial installers were missing, hope it will be ok next time :wink:

BTW, maybe it is better to make the following files / folders invisible (or maybe visible by clicking on a link “show other files”?) because the longer the list of files, the more confusing it will be for less experienced users:

Parent Directory
tiles.txt
country.txt
63240000_license.txt
63240000.nsi

Unfortunately yes, I noticed Mkgmap created an NSIS installer script that included some files that were not available and then NSIS won’t create the installer :frowning: It took a while before I found out what needed to be done to fix it.

I’ll try but it will likely mean that I can’t use the simple .htaccess solution anymore. I’ll look around for a suitable alternative.

I use htaccess too for my Germany files, http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/openfietsmap/germany/ works fine.
Just specify it in the IndexIgnore ?

Another solution is to leave the 3 most needed files (windows, mac and gmapsupp) in the root dir, and all other files in a subdirectory but then you need to change the scripts more. :wink:

I’m interested in the new feature the overview map :slight_smile:
Is the overview map also routable? As I understood it is a reduced map as the basemap on the nüvi is? Maybe so the long route problem could be solved? Because if i have only the Austria OSM map on my nüvi, he is able to route to far away destinations simply by switching to the reduced map at the borders … Due to the increasing osm data i have more and more problems also with inner austrian routes …

No this overview map isn’t routable. The routing takes place at the most detailed zoomlevels, so it doesnt solve the long routing problems, it only helps to draw the maps more quickly on the screen.

OK, so only reducing the number of ways (ex tracks for a car only map) could help to solve that problem?

Routing will work if data is prepared correctly for routing. This means proper dividing roads into categories and preserving continuity in main categories. Creating clean network of main roads would help, number of other roads is not so important.

If the option “avoid unpaved streets” is enabled, the nüvi does also not route over tertiary streets which have the tag surface=cobblestone. (many streets in old towns) I thought that this option only avoids unpaved tracks > trackgrade 1?

No, it affects all kind of highways with the following properties:

# Flag unpaved roads.
highway=*
& (surface=cobblestone | surface=compacted | surface=dirt |
   surface=earth | surface=grass | surface=grass_paver |
   surface=gravel | surface=grit | surface=ground | surface=mud |
   surface=pebblestone | surface=sand | surface=unpaved |
   mtb:scale=* |
   tracktype ~ 'grade[2-6]' |
   smoothness ~ '.*(bad|horrible|impassable)' |
   sac_scale ~ '.*(mountain|alpine)_hiking' |
   sport=via_ferrata)
{ add mkgmap:unpaved=1 }
(highway=bridleway | highway=path | highway=track | highway=unsurfaced)
& surface!=* & tracktype!=* & smoothness!=* & sac_scale!=*
{ add mkgmap:unpaved=1 }

Report of strange map display aspect ratio problem

Downloaded Generic Routable version of UK/Iceland earlier (Mac version) and when imported into BaseCamp, the map is squeezed East-West. Never had problems with all the other maps from the server for other regions of the world. Have tried it a second time and the same happened.

Anything I missed? Thanks. :roll_eyes:

There is quite a number of bug reports about this on the Garmin forum, like this one: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?9459-Custom-map-display-distorted

I think in Garmin-speak this is a feature, not a bug…

In the Windows version of Mapsource and Basecamp (?) you can press ctrl-alt-a and set the geographical height of your location (netherlands: 52 degrees). Default the value is on ‘auto’. Maybe this will work in the Mac version too?

BaseCamp for Windows doesn’t have that option; you need MapSource or JaVaWa GMTK to change the projection angle. BaseCamp will use that value.
On the Mac it isn’t possible at all.

Ouch! I just happen to be on a Mac… :frowning: