Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I sent. Please rectify mistakes. I am using the map from November 2012 and I am very pleased with it.

Thanks, I see the mistakes too, something has gone wrong with the map generation, I’ll investigate it.

Edit: The same roads are also missing on the generic map, so maybe it is caused by a failure during the map generation process,
so please try the next update later and let us know if it will be ok or not.

Some of you might have noticed, I’ve not been very responsive lately. I needed a timeout to recharge a bit and only performed weekly updates. Many many thanks to Ligfietser and others for responding to questions.

I’ve added --process-destination and --process-exits to the script parameters which should be used with the next map update. Question: Are extra parameters needed to get the new overview functionality? This wasn’t clear to me reading the comments on the Mkgmap mailinglist…

There are big upcoming changes to my life: I’ll be adding one more to this planet’s overpopulation :sunglasses:
Obviously, during the next months I’ll be putting less time in this project preparing for the new arrival, though I hope to still be able to make a few large additions in between other real life stuff that needs to be done.

Hi Lambertus, congratulations with your newborn! :slight_smile:

About the overview map, the settings should be in the style files (I have to update the OFM lite and the new generic styles first, but the default one should contain already the right settings).

Then it depends on your map generating process. After the splitter I suppose you will create all the img’s in the first mkgmap pass, and mkgmap will automatically produce with every single img one ovm_*.img work file. This ovm work file is needed to produce the overview map. So if you generate a country or a custom mapset (in the next step?), those ovm img’s are needed, but it is not needed for the gmapsupp.img and it will also not be included in the mapsource installer files (I think).

It is not necessary, but maybe it is wise to include those ovm files in the osm_generic_tiles.zip, so someone can combine a few of those mapsets later and create a big overviewmap (otherwise the combined big overview map will be empty).

I think it’s best to start with the Generic Routable and see if the overview map is created, if all works well I can update the new styles and the OFM lite with the overview parameters in a following update?

Thanks :slight_smile: but we have to wait a few months, we’re still in the ‘breeding’ stage… :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, that explains why the generic map does not appear to have the overview map. I added an SVN update for the generic map style to the update scripts.

Thanks this means I need to add some more changes to the final map generation step (which you called ‘the next step’).

I guess that’s fair though I hope these ovm files aren’t too big.

A new update is started.

Thanks!

Thanks Lambertus,

Just updated a view changes into the new styles and the OFM lite styles to implement the overview map, hope it’s not too late :wink:
I e-mailed you a bug report about some missing junctions in Poland, seems something went wrong with your planet update?

Ah, yes, apparently I did not post my reaction on the missing road issue. So here it goes:

The source for the map updates is a local copy of the OSM planet dump. Each time an update is performed this copy is updated with daily changesets using the tool osmupdate. Osmupdate wants to know how old the current local copy is so that it can download the required changesets. My update scripts used to provide the date of the local copy which is possibly incorrect, so this is now changed to tell osmupdate to fetch 2 more days of changesets. I think that safely covers any possible gap during the update process.

Your changes will be included in the next map because the current update has been restarted.

Hi! Don’t know if someone already asked it, but anyway - I’ve just downloaded Ukraine and I don’t see any houses and its numbers on the map. Is it bug or feature?

Ukraine, Sevastopol, Nakhimova avenue
Consider native OSM:

Downloaded Ukraine map in BaseCamp (no houses and house numbers):

It has to do with the fact that addr:street seeks for a corresponding name tag and Lambertus’ maps use name:en
The housenumber search is still experimental and can’t cope wth different name tags or added ref’s (like addresses along primary and secondary roads are not findable) at the moment.

The buildings are on the map, but you can only barely see them (spot the white bits in the soft yellow background color). If you want more prominent buildings (and an overall better looking map) then please try the ‘Generic Routable (testing new style)’ map.

Hmm, I did not know this :roll_eyes:

Or select the mapnik typ file :slight_smile:

Thanks! Downloaded “Generic Routable (testing new style)” map. Now I see buildings. Still don’t see building numbers, not talking about search, but just to see numbers on the map is ok for me.

Housenumbers are not rendered, that is correct. They should popup if the housenumber search was optimal, but this isn’t yet.
Another option would be to render all housenumbers as poi, but this would clutter the map and the index so I dont think it is a good thing to do.

Hi Lambertus,

I find unexpected (to me) behaviour when using this option:

Case 1: I choose a pre-defined country (Ireland) and download the gmapsupp file, then put it directly on the SD card. The Mapnik style is used on the device.

Case 2: I customise the tile selection (most recent example - to get Ireland and GB together). Whenever I do this I do not get the Mapnik style on the device.

Is this known about/expected?

Another (harmless but interesting) quirk. A number of the map sections for Ireland are named for the Irish language name of the place (present in name:ga but not name). “Sligeach” is one such example. This behaviour is inconsistent. Any reason this happens?

Thanks!

Thanks, this was not know to me and should not be expected. Clearly something goes wrong on the custom map server while including the Mapnik stylesheet. I’ll check it out, thanks.

I assume you’re talking about the tile names as they appear in the list on the website when you select them? If so then this is not a result from OSM data processing but the ‘cities15000’ file that is used to find a more suitable name then just a number. I can’t really remember where this file came from but it is unrelated to OSM.

Those tile names come from geonames.org: http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/
Lambertus, maybe we should mentioned this as source on the website or in the license file, see their license at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/?

I just tried the 6/6 update but the overview map is still missing. I guess the ovm img files need to be included in the final map generation step?
Those files are relatively small btw.

Spent a few hours debugging yesterday and it looks like the overview map is now working based on what I see in BaseCamp/MapSource. :slight_smile:

You’ll need a map that is built yesterday evening or later so most of the country maps still don’t include the overview map but any new maps should be fine.

A copyright notice is added to the site.

Thanks Lambertus!
Your debugging caused some confusion: http://forum.gps.nl/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=40962&p=341066#p341066
Apperently some crucial installers were missing, hope it will be ok next time :wink:

BTW, maybe it is better to make the following files / folders invisible (or maybe visible by clicking on a link “show other files”?) because the longer the list of files, the more confusing it will be for less experienced users:

Parent Directory
tiles.txt
country.txt
63240000_license.txt
63240000.nsi

Unfortunately yes, I noticed Mkgmap created an NSIS installer script that included some files that were not available and then NSIS won’t create the installer :frowning: It took a while before I found out what needed to be done to fix it.

I’ll try but it will likely mean that I can’t use the simple .htaccess solution anymore. I’ll look around for a suitable alternative.