Export including too many extraneous nodes

Starting early 2013, exports of the “map image” in SVG format have included an enormous gray background object for not just the area local to the export and its immediate surroundings, but for entire continents and megacontinents. So attempted SVG exports of neighborhoods in Bogota are exporting the background object for the Americas; my attempt to export an SVG file for southern St Petersburg, Russia included the background object for Eurasia.

Needless to say, the huge amount of extraneous nodes makes the filesize about 10x what it needs to be, and makes editing very difficult in graphics software like Inkscape. This also presumably increases the load on the server from exports by about 10x too. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thank you, and apologies if I’m asking in the wrong place.

-Peter

I assume you are talking about the export feature at the main site openstreetmap.org … or not?

If that feature does not work right for you, try http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/SVG

Yes, the map image SVG export feature on the main site. The link you gave me directed me to Maperitive, which so far takes care of what I need to do very well–thank you. I have yet to try it with larger filesizes, but hopefully that won’t be an issue.

It’s a shame that the main site’s SVG export feature is effectively broken, though!

Best,

-Peter