Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

With Javawa’s Mapconverter installing is indeed a piece of cake, manually you have to know where those files are stored.
But what about Linux users? They still need the osm_generic_tiles.zip. You only need to add a windows installer to this file then this file is for all platforms usable (Mac / gmap users need Javawa Mapconverter though).

I believe more for Linux users than for Mac users :wink:

Yeah the Mac users wont be happy if they are offered a zip file which they only can install with Javawa’s Mapconverter :confused:

Changed the scripts on the custom map server to use more disks for map storage using a simple trick to spread the load.

For those interested:

$map_disks = array("/maps/0/garmin", "/maps/1/garmin", "/maps/2/garmin");

$msdIndex = hexdec(substr($md5sum, 0, 1)) % count($map_disks);
$map_storage_disk = $map_disks[$msdIndex];

Where /maps/0/, /maps/1/ and /maps/2/ are mount points for different harddisks. Using the modulo function (%) on the first character of the md5sum determines which disk to choose from the array. Alternatively I could have created a single RAID partition using the three disks but this was more fun and, importantly, less prone to me breaking the server :sunglasses:

Take for example as first character from an md5sum (each character in an md5sum is a hexadecimal number ranging 0 to f):
0 % 3 = 0
1 % 3 = 1
2 % 3 = 2
3 % 3 = 0
4 % 3 = 1
[…]
e % 3 = 2
f % 3 = 0

Next is a custom NSIS installer for handling maps larger than 2 GB.

You should have about 20% more files on drive 0 than on 1 or 2. Do I estimate correctly? :wink:

Looks more like ~7% up to now, but I know what you mean. :slight_smile:

Hi,

I am going to ask a “newbie” questions…

Last weeks, I have made changes on OSM maps. These changes are now available on https://www.openstreetmap.org

I have seen, in the download section (http://planet.openstreetmap.org/), that a new “OSM database bundle” is generated every two weeks (the last one was generated on 18/02/2013).

My questions:

• what is the “refresh cycle” of your OSM database ?
  • Do you use the new bundles ASAP when they are available ?
  • Is-there a way to know the “refresh date” of your OSM database ?

Thanks for your help

Patrick

1. About once a week (depending on how many changes are made to the toolchain)
  2. Nope, only when a new update is started then the local planet copy is updated
  3. The date on which the update is started is listed below the map on the website, e.g.

Hi,

Thanks for your previous reply !

Another question: do you use a specific mkgmap “CUSTOM STYLE” to generate your “Generic Routable” maps ?

If the answer is YES, is-it possible to get it ?

Regards

Patrick

The Generic Routable style is a default mkgmap style which can be found here
Generic Routable (testing new style) and Routable Bicycle (Openfietsmap Lite) you can find here

I’m thrilled to announce that users of the new generic map (testing) should be able to search and use housenumbers with map version 11-03-2013 and later. This also applies to the Openfietsmap Lite version.

As a bonus I merged the BAG data in my local copy of the OSM planet file. The BAG contains all housenumbers for the Netherlands and is made available as a separate download by OSM user Gertjan Idema and with a bit of help from OSM user ligfietser.

Outside the Netherlands, searching housenumbers only works when available in the OSM data, so if housenumbers in your area aren’t mapped in OSM yet then quickly go outside and map them so everyone can enjoy house to house routing in the Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap :sunglasses:

Hi,

First thanks for the maps. They really make mapping my surroundings real fun and actually usefull.
However I noticed this weekend on a trip to Utrecht that a piece of the A2 is missing east of Vught. This was with the maps from 24-2. Today I downloaded the 11-3 map for the Netherlands, but it seems to have the same problem. Is this a known problem?

Jeroen,
They are probably busy with that road? I see it is rendered as a road under construction (new generic style).
On osm: construction = minor, highway = motorway.
If those constructions are finished, construction tags should be removed from OSM.
And I’ll have a look at the style files not to render those minor constructions.

Here is a reply to a previous post on the same issue:

I use MapSetToolKit. It is a simple tool to use for your purpose. It is a free download. What I did was to first come up with a Family ID for each of the countries (or in the case of larger countries, provinces). I used a system that assigns the following block of numbers:

1000-1999 = Africa
2001-2999 = Asia
3000-3999 = Europe
4000-4999 = North America
5000-5999 = (Spare)
6000-6999 = Oceania
7000-7999 = South America

For North America, I use 4000-4399 for Canada and 4500-4999 for USA so that for a map of the state of Alabama has a family ID of 4505 as I simply assigned the states a number in alphabetical order in increments of 5, e.g.:

4500 North America USA
4505 North America USA AL ALABAMA
4510 North America USA AK ALASKA
4515 North America USA AS AMERICAN SAMOA
4520 North America USA AZ ARIZONA

Since the OSM generic maps from this site install with a Family ID of 2000. I never use 2000 for any maps. I install the maps into specific folders, for example, Australia goes into C:/Garmin/Maps/Oceania/Australia. After it is installed, I then run MapSetToolKit and select the map just installed into FamilyID 2000, click the edit button and change the Mapset name to OSM Australia, the registry name to OSM Australia and the family ID to my choice of 6050. I apply the changes and that is it!

Cheers,

Peter

Family ID in range 1 - 3000 is already used by commercial maps. Better use bigger values to avoid conflicts.

Are you still updating the traditional style?
I use these maps on my Oregon 550t and the new mapstyle hides alot of information (like abandoned railway beds) and they are important in an outdoor unit.

I hope the old stle has not been dropped yet

Yes, I’m still updating the original but it failed the last two updates. Please add feature requests for the new style sheet to this topic.

I’ve been discussing with ligfietser about the future of the generic map and how the new stylesheet fits into the picture. So far we agreed on the following:

• The original generic map will continue as a generic light map (no buildings, fewer landuses, small tiles) for those who either need small tiles (old GPS devices) or a very large area.
  • The new generic map will become the normal generic map which looks good and has the most features and larger tiles.
  • The OpenFietsMap Lite may be replaced by the full OpenFietsMap map.

Additionally we’re discussing adding altitude profiles to the generic and OpenFietsMap map by default with global coverage (starting with Europe and perhaps North America).

I’m interested in what all of you think of these ideas.

If you notice some features that are missing in the new style, please report it in this topic:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13257&p=6

It is correct that I removed abandoned railways from the new map because it was rendered as “path” and it shouldnt.
If the former track is now in use as a path, it must be added on osm as highway=path, footway, cycleway etc
If there is nothing, it should not render on the map as ‘highway’

I am thrilled as well Lambertus. Brilliant man who deserves enormous thanks from us freekies. I am English but live in France where many properties do not have numbers or street names. My road had ten houses with the same non address. Now all communes are having to give names to roads and numbers to properties for practical and emergency reasons. I have done all the roads in Chazelles, Charente and gradually adding the numbers. Mind you I do get some twitching curtains.

Ha! Yes, I know about that, it feels a bit funny taking notes while staring at houses looking for housenumbers knowing that the occupants and others are staring at you at the same time. Worse, I’ve once been chased off a trailer park by fat guys in trainers who didn’t like my inquisitiveness. Luckily I can cycle faster then they can run… :confused:

Have fun!

===
Rehash from earlier post:
I’ve been discussing with ligfietser about the future of the generic map and how the new stylesheet fits into the picture. So far we agreed on the following:

• The original generic map will continue as a generic light map (no buildings, fewer landuses, small tiles) for those who either need small tiles (old GPS devices) or a very large area.
  • The new generic map will become the normal generic map which looks good and has the most features and larger tiles.
  • The OpenFietsMap Lite may be replaced by the full OpenFietsMap map.

Additionally we’re discussing adding altitude profiles to the generic and OpenFietsMap map by default with global coverage (starting with Europe and perhaps North America).

I’m interested in what all of you think of these ideas.