" --min-size-polygon=10",
		" --merge-lines",
		" --add-pois-to-areas",
		" --preserve-element-order",
		" --route",
		" --name-tag-list=name:en,int_name,name:zh_py,name:engels,name"
	);
?>

Shall I add --generate-sea=land-tag=natural=background?

Combining:

"generic_new" => array(
		"description" => "OSM generic routable (new style)",
		"underscored" => 'osm_generic_new',
		"family_id" => 2000,
		"product_id" => 6,
		"overview_name" => "63240000",
		"typ_dir" => "generic_new",
		"copyright" => "'Map data © openstreetmap.org and contributors'"
	)

Edit: added the land-tag and updated the style+typ in time for the already running map update to pick-up the changes.

Great! :slight_smile:

Thank you both. Looks like all of a sudden things are moving fast! :smiley:

I updated my files and compiled a quick test map using old osm data. Looks almost the same as before. Downloaded N Thailand with JOSM, but now I get only POIs, no lines or polygons. I don’t know whether this is a problem with my osm file or an mkgmap bug. I have previously made an even bigger map without problems.

Incidentally, when it does work mkgmap complains about:

WARNING: Style uses tag 'display_name' which is deprecated and will be removed soon. Please use the new tag 'mkgmap:display_name' instead.

Could it be that the lines and polygons are covered by a land background polygon (0x27?)
You need to use --generate-sea=land-tag=natural=background and the typ file in order to get a decent map.

About display_name, I replaced it now with mkgmap:display_name in the lines style.

A new version of the test map is online, openfietsmap_lite will follow in a few hours. Enjoy!

Edit: offtopic discussion about Overpass API moved to here.

Doesn’t look too bad ;), altough I see some items that could be improved (landuse=grass is not rendered at all, only meadow, forests disappear too quickly but maybe that is intended because the maps shouldnt be too heavy); custom garmin icons are very ugly etc etc.

Hi,

Thanks for providing the maps.
Could you put screenshoots of the map to compare the different rendering (*) and avoid for everybody the need to download each sets just to see how they look like?

*: Generic Routable ; Generic Routable mapnik style ; Generic Routable (testing new style)

Great idea. Why don’t you do it? Just identify an interesting looking location, download that one tile, install it in MapSource or Basecamp and post the screenshots somewhere.

I can’t do it myself because I run Linux so I can’t use MapSource or Basecamp.
Also I have downloaded the new testing style but I don’t see the difference with the mapnik style, that’s why I was asking.

Ok, here are two quick samples:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VwlpgjziXH4247wR2woYs9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
Mapnik style. This is just a typ file, changing the appearance of the normally compiled map. Note the 2 bike shops with hairdresser icons.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/L4VeMAZ2vy7xUW5xbZoErdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
This is the new style. It re-uses a lot of the default Garmin icons, rather than the smaller Mapnik ones. At some zoom levels bridges are visible as such. The gas station labels need a little more work.

As we continue to make changes to the New Style features should start to appear that will not show in the other styles. I’m thinking of barriers, like check points (police/military), toll gates and others.

Sorry about the messy post, I’m having problems linking to my pictures.

Mapsource runs under wine.

Old style without typ file

Old style with mapnik typ file

New style

I’m afraid you can’t reliably draw oneway arrows, some nuvis don’t follow line direction when drawing line pattern. And this was probably a feature designed for car navigation. As far as I know, this should work in Mapsource/BaseCamp and outdoor GPS.

Oneway arrows work on the nüvi 2xx/3xx but I havent tested it on newer models. What doesnt work very well is symbols on left or right side, like cycleway:right=lane or cycleway:left=lane.
This is drawn on the opposite side on gps models compared with Basecamp and Mapsource.

I can see problems on nuvi 2340 and nuvi 1440, probably both generations can behave this way. Nuvi 34xx seems to work ok. But my maps are different, lines aren’t roads and pattern asymmetry is in different direction. I would have to download your maps and check.

Edit: older nuvi are much more free maps friendly. Quality of map look degraded badly in new models, you simply can’t expect that map will look like in Mapsource. POI are missing, street line width depends on nuvi theme, area patterns don’t work correctly in series 1xxx. Garmin is probably not interested in maintaining compatibility with older maps.

Edit: direction of arrows is ok, only these nuvi swap at random position of arrows from right to left.

Ok, im glad to hear that. The position left or right depends on the unit and is a Garmin bug. I reported it to Garmin but they havent done anything, seems they dont care. :confused:

Committed some changes in the polygons style file:
Added: boundary = national_park/nature_reserve/protected_area, landuse=grass
Removed: man_made=groyne/reinforced_slope
Adjusted some zoomlevels

Overall, I’m really liking the new style, but one issue I noticed when using it while hiking yesterday is that on my Montana, the brown dotted lines for hiking trails are nearly invisible atop a green background (as is used on national forest boundaries in the U.S.), and completely impossible to see when hill shading is also present. Is it possible to have a white outline around the brown, so it has better contrast over dark backgrounds?

Thanks for that feedback. Outlines probably won’t work very well, but I think we should look at using a different colour that contrasts the green better. Perhaps if it was a darker brown?