osmand

@LeiLar,

You are right this is possible. However, I think it is not easy to use even if you have set it up fully.

The way I do this is based on the GPS track in the Android device.

The simplest way is to do the walk yourself (can also by bike or car) and record the walk in the device. Some instructions can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/osmand/wiki/HowToArticles

Alternatively you can record the walk on a GPS device and store it in the following directory: \OSMAND\tracks.

Third method is what you seem to have in mind. Use the navigation of OSMAND. In your case you need to know well how to evaluate the outcome, as it does not always do logical things for the setting "walking.
Select the “destination” on the map (keep your finger on the screen where the destination should be en select destination”.)
Select waypoint 1 (keep your finger on the screen where the waypoint should be en select waypoint”),
and so forth until you have selected the last way point.
Finally keep your finger on the start point on the map and Select “show route from here”.

OSMAND prompts you for the type of route, select walking and wait till the route has been calculated (now its your time for coffee ;).

It will show you the track and you have to verify it!!! If it has unwanted parts, you have to take points out and try to redefine it, till you have a satisfying route.

Open Route details (under menu, different at each smartphone and tablet) and click “save route as GPX file.

Three methods are from here again the same.

Ensure that no destination or gpx routes are in the OSMAND open (close them all under the menu).

Go tot the menu and click directions. Select gpx route and select the track you just made.
It will load and then choose the the appropriate direction (as created or reverse).

Now you can follow that route.

The standard in OSMAND is the system language. You can switch that (temporarily) to English may be reducing confusion over the instructions.

Hope this is sufficient detail for you, success

Hugo

Thanks a bundle! I’ll have a go at it later today.

One short question about translation:
String 37 Recording layer
Could anyone please explain? Where can I see this string in action? What does it mean?

How do I copy favorites etc in OsmAnd from e.g. a Nexus 7 onto my son’s cellphone?

Question 1:
Better ask in https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/osmand

Question 2:
install a good file browser on your android device, like “Total Commander” to see the content of the folder osmand on your sd-card of your phone/tablet … copy all relevant files via bluetooth or via USB cable and a PC to the other android device.

Thanks for your advice! I’m a very great fan of TC. Had it for years and year and can’t live without it. And it’s great that it’s available on Android as well.

Thanks, stephan75! :slight_smile:

Hi all!
I have used Osmand for quite a while since I installed it in my mobile; it works like a charm, most of the features needed are there so I am really happy with this ap. Now, there’s only one thing I have not been able to see in my maps: city borders or province divisions. I live in Cuba and the provinces are very small and devided correctly (as seen on openstreetmap.org. I am using the maps downloaded from: http://download.osmand.net/list.php. When I zoom out, there are no divisions…
I have checked and unchecked the option “hide boundaries” to see what happens with no result for my maps.
I am using Osmand 1.1.2 beta.
Any ideas? I’d really appreciate any comments on this.

I have noticed that OSMand does not index the addresses of the multipolygon buildings. This sould be corrected.

I really like the maps ever since I installed them but I never really got into advanced options of use. Really got some good ideas here. I drive a lot to unknown locations and I consider myself to be a ‘gadget’ freek so right now i am really into maps and exploring new features. Got a lot of ideas how to tweak them, thx!:smiley:

Delete: Accidentally responded to a very old post.

So where do I copy my *.kml and *.gpx files? It didn’t look like this on my old Nexus 4 IIRC. :roll_eyes:

Hi, I think you’ll find when you use the device and save a gpx track, another folder will be created to save the gpx track in. In my “osmand” folder I have a similar folder set up as you have plus a folder named “tracks” within which is a subfolder named “rec”. In this “rec” folder are all my saved gpx tracks which I can view in Osmand from “My Places” “All Tracks”.
So if you want to put gpx files straight in you’ll have to create the folder/subfolder.
The above works on my tablet for gpx files but not for kml files. I’ve put kml files in but Osmand can’t see them.
Regards Bernard

Many thanks, BCNorwich! Worked like a charm. :slight_smile:

Some addresses are not searchable in osmand. For instance, I can’t find this from the osmand GUI: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/194133659#map=19/47.49192/8.97880

When choosing a city around that place and enetring the streetname letter by letter, you can press the button “search street in other places” or similar … can you find that street now?

Tell us if yes, then we can evaluate whether OSM data is wrong, or Osmand app.

I cant even choose Wängi as city.

Hellp Pan,

Once again we have the problem here in the OSM data:

We DO have a boundary relation for Wängi … http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1684574

But a single node with place=xxx and name"Wängi is missing … either it never has been there, or someone deleted it in the past.

I will try to do some examinations, maybe we can undelete that place node.

Osmand definitivele needs a boundary relation with name=xxx AND a place node with identical name tag.

Hello Pan and all,

I tried two methods to dind out whether there has been a node with place=… and name=Wängi ever in the past:

Had a download from switzerland OSM extract from geofabrik.de whehe the oldest file available was from 2014-01-02
use osmconvert and osmfilter to find any object with name=Wängi
output file was empty … so I assume that there was no place node on 2014-01-02

secondly:

Try the Wizard modus on http://overpass-turbo.eu and entere there “place=* in Wängi” … added [date:“2011-01-01T15:00:00Z”] at the top of the query (not in the wizard!) and run the query there …
No place node for Wängi in the past, even when editing the year in the date parameter there.

So if I am still not wrong, we need a newly created place node for Wängi … anyone with more time then me and with more knowledge of places in Switzerland:
Have a look e.g. at other place nodes around, and feel free to create a new one.
Maybe give a ping here so that we won’t end up with 5 nodes created in the same time :wink:

Thanks a lot for checking.

Some individual addresses have city=Wängi, though.