Hi! Joining the project!

Hi all!

I’m Yaad, now live in Gan - Yavne, and I’m using the OSM for a couple of months.
I think it’s too bad when big areas of the country are not mapped yet, including a few big cities…
I have a gps reciever and I connect it to my laptop when I drive - for the tracks.
I want to join and get more involves in order to get the country fully mapped.

Yaad

Welcome!

I noticed you added lots of roads in the Gan Yavne area already.

I’m following these two rules, and would appreciate if you could also do the same:

1. the “name” tag should be in Hebrew,
    and whenever you add a name, always add at least a “name:en” tag in English.

2. When you add a new way, and don’t add any details to it, you should mark it as highway=road so it will be visible.
    That way, fairies would notice it, and fill in the details… :wink:
    If you have the time, then mark it appropriately (primary, secondary, tertiary, unclassified, residential, etc.)

And have fun! :slight_smile:

Hi!

Thank you!
I will fix that soon! :slight_smile:
Now I’m making a list of cities to track and edit…

Yaad

The list of cities in OK state is, sadly, shorter…

In your area there’s Ashdod and Ashkelon which I started (added most of the main roads).
Rehovot hardly have anything, which is a shame.
Then there are Kiryat Gat, Gedera, Gderot (Asseret), Yavne, Kiryat Malachi, Kiryat Ekron, … and on and on and on…

OTOH, Netanya is a well covered, Beer Sheva, Raanana, Herzliya, Rishon LeZion, Ramat Gan, Givatayim are also very good.
Hadera and Eilat are being worked on as we speak (…),
Jerusalem is ok. Tel Aviv (central) is 50-50.

Haifa, Holon, Petah Tikva, Lod, Yahud are a shame.

That’s just off the top of my head.

Hi!

I’ll try to pass trough Ashdod, Rehovot, Nes Ziona and Ashkelon tomorrow or next week with my gps, and see what I can do…
Nazaret (not ‘illit’) is also almost empty - and it’s not very easy to drive in…

I’m going to try, but - how many people are doing it these days? do we have enough people to do everything?
Yaad

Hi Yaad!

Welcome to Israel!!!
Nice to have more and more OSM evangelists here…

You have to hurry up for tracking some new cities.
Israel is getting done faster and faster :slight_smile:

Hi!

I’ll do my best, as I got a little time these days.
I’m doing a list of “empty” cities I want to track. a few of them had been writen up on this post.
I hope more people will help mapping Israel :slight_smile:

Yaad

Take your time, don’t burn! :wink:

Zfat has nothing (I did the 2 main roads leading to it, but didn’t go in)
And Rosh Pina is practically empty as well.
I did the (very) main roads of Afula, but it’s not enough.

Other places in the north:
Metula and Kiryat Shmona are pretty good.

Acco and the Krayot are practically empty.
Carmiel, Maalot, Shlomi have nothing.

Nahariya has roads, but I don’t trust them.
I drove there once, and it didn’t fit the current roads, so I left it as is.
I only fixed a little Road #4 outside of it.

I’d say currently there are about 10 regulars.

There’s another one (French?) doing the West Bank, like East Jerusalem, Ramalla, Jenin, etc.

Hi,

one think i learned when doing cities like hadera, netanya, eilat or naariya.
Its more important to finish a specific section than to drive through the whole city on the main roads and add just a road here and there.
Afterwards you driving again through the same street because you have missed a crossing street.

Thats the way im doing it now. Example in Netanya. I had to drive through all streets again to make sure they are mapped.

BTW:
I would like to announce that we finished the mapping of Netanya this week. :sunglasses:
There should be no single street that is missing.

That is a good advice, but in some cases I like to go through the same way several times, so I know for sure that I got it right.
The GPS doesn’t always get it right the first time, not to mention wide roads with several lanes.

The advice I’ve heard (and now follow) is not to unlock the GPS track,
but to turn on all GPS tracks in the area, and follow their average.

Well done!

Ok!

Where are you 2 from?

Yaad

This is great! I’m very happy to hear it.

I found several missing streets in Netanya when crosschecking OSM with Google Maps.
Hope that I will find the time to check if there is really a street like shown in Google Maps.
I found several mistakes in Google maps :slight_smile:

Do you know a good way to crosscheck OSM maps with the maps of the “freemap project”?
Would be interesting to put there information as a layer on top of the OSM map and check if we are missing some roads.

Updates!

As for today, I’m doing parts of - bene aish, rehovot, gedera, bet elazari (moshav).
More to come!

Yaad

Hi!

Sorry from the long break from the forum, but I’m still here, uploading tracks and editing “here and there”.
Hope to do more soon,

Yaad

I don’t know about the specific mistakes you found, but I remember reading that sometimes map makers intentionally make small mistakes or phantom roads so that if someone does a bulk copy of their maps they can prove this in court.

I heard the same… rumors or real !!!
We will probably never find out :sunglasses:

Real…
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Copyright_Easter_Eggs