Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

good luck with the move…

I noticed that you have problems regarding the disk space. Isn’t it a good idea then to let the user choose when entering the e-mail address, which map format they want (MapSource, gmapsupp.img or RoadMap) so that only one map generation process is needed? I think most people only download one of the map formats…
This could be done for example by deleting the e-mail address input box at the home page, and creating a new page on which you can fill out your e-mail, and the map format you want. On the home page, there should be a Submit-button, which leads you to this new page.

Yes, stuff like this is on the todo list, together with configurable product id’s (so you can have more than one of my maps in MapSource) etc. There are also people offering disk space hosting but all those things require time which I don’t have at the moment.

Hi,

i am not sure but i am afraid “it is not a bug, it is a feature”:
I travel frequently and using your service i generated and downloaded map of my part of world (mid and northern Germany) and now as a preparation to my vacation trip, i generated and dowloaded a map of France and Spain, installed - and surprise: my previous mapset has diappeared!
It is really so that everytime i download and install maps from this server (even in different directory) only the newest will be available?
I have 2GB card in my Legend HCx - so there are no problems with having map of whole EU on it… But…
Or am i wrong?

Regards
GJ

Well, downloading and installing a new map from this service will not actually overwrite the old map but the map overview files (.tdb and xxxx0001.img) are overwritten. These two files contain the information for MapSource about the installed map tiles. So you won’t see the map tiles in MapSource even though all the tiles are still available. You can fix this in two ways: Donwload a map containing mid/north germany, france and spain or generate an overview map containing all the installed tiles yourself.

In the future I aim to allow anyone to specify unique product-id’s for their combined map which would be automatically recognised as a new map by MapSource.

Yesterday, the maps (http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php) were shown as being updated (17-06-2009) and today the date is back to 28-05-2009.
Did the update finish and the date is incorrect or did the update stop/not finish?

Chris

p.s.
Thanks!

Update failed and I performed a fallback to the previous version. New update is running in the background now.

hi there
when the update will be completed

When it’s done :slight_smile:

Seriously, I expect it to be done late tomorrow.

thanks Lambertus for all your work

Today I succeeded: I had a large chunk of Europe download from Lambertus his site (did that 2 mounths ago) and I added high-lines to it for the area where I will be going to on holiday. I created first a gmapsupp.img with hight-lines only and a transparent background and I added that with the ‘old’ routable Europe chunk I had. It all works now in the device. I have now a map that is routable and has hight-lines as well:).

Lambertus,

This site is great. Thanks so much.

It’s particularly valuable for North American users, as I believe it’s the only place to download a routable OSM map, short of assembling tiles myself. I hope North America will be included again in the future.

I’m new to the server and put in my request nearly a week ago now. The server did respond it would send a link when ready. So far no response. What’s the usual response time. Should I just put in the map again? It was only one US state.

Based on my experience, it has been matter of couple hours at worst cases…

Great work! Unfortunately there seems to be an error when processing the .img files in some parts of Canada when selected as tiles from the website. File 73240261, for instance, is blank and only 300KB (and it’s a big tile) that should have lots of data. The maps are installing fine in MapSource, but about half of Canada is shown as blank tiles. I haven’t tried any other parts of the world, just Canada.

You probably entered a wrong email address. Please try again after about one day if you did not receive the download email.

This is a known bug (see the start post of this topic). I hope to start working on this later this month.

Someone asked me about usage statistics of this service, so I pulled the logs and did some analisys.

Since the end of April 2009:
9200 map requests were made (~100 per day on average)
4800 unique email addresses were used (~50 requests of truly unique visitors per day on average)

Top 10 of requested tiles:
63240067.img 1374
63240069.img 1314
63240074.img 1313
63240080.img 1288
63240073.img 1274
63240075.img 1254
63240072.img 1253
63240077.img 1239
63240107.img 1236
63240065.img 1229

So the most requested tiles are in the south of Germany on the borders with Switzerland and Austria.

First North/South American tile is in place 125.

Edit: Some other statistics
Bandwidth usage is about 15 to 20 GB per day
Average download size is 64MB
This translates to ~220 map downloads per day

The server harddisk got at 100% full again this weekend. About 20 requests failed because of this. If you cannot reach the URL that is given in the email then please request the tiles again. Sorry for the inconvenience…

PS. Delete any “<” or “>” characters at the beginning or end or the URL in your browser if the server returns ‘404 Not Found’ and try again. If the browser then still returns the error then you will have to request your tiles again.

I’ve added a rewrite rule to the .htaccess file to automatically remove the trailing ‘>’ character from the download URL. This fixes a lot of problems for people who are using non-standard-compliant email clients.

RewriteRule ^(.+)>$ http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/$1 [R=301,L]

I’ve tried to request some tiles using 3 different email accounts but I haven’t received the email confirmation for none of them. Do you think it has anything to do with the recent change?
Thanks for your work!