Streets/Roads with more than one name

Removed

There are several possibilities.

The street was renamed but one or more old signs haven’t been removed. I found this several times in Thailand also for highway numbers. In this case only the new or more common name or name and alt_name could be used.

Or the name in Thai letters is the same but the transcription is different. Thus someone who can’t read Thai or isn’t aware of the different ways of transcription might think it’s a different name. In general and especially in such cases I follow RTGS.

Or sometimes a way seems to be one street but in fact is regarded as several streets. Each street has its own name. In this case draw 2 or 3 ways and name them as signed.

Examples would help.

Removed

This case is quite clear. The main road is “Map Yai Lia Road”. The others are (smaller) roads branching off the main road: Soi. Their full name would be “Soi Map Yai Lia x” or “Map Yai Lia Soi x”. Where x is a number 1, 2, 3 etc. Some of these roads have in addition another name, in the example “Ban Lang Road”. On the map there are more “Map Yai Lia x”. For clearness I prefer to have Road or Soi with the English name even if it’s not on the sign.

Imho this should be tagged “name=ซอยมาบยายเลีย 47”, “name:en=Map Yai Lia 47”. In addition the alternate name can be tagged too: “alt_name=ถนนบ้านล่าง” and “alt_name:en=Ban Lang Road”. There are similar examples here in Khon Kaen. Yet I think I never tagged the alternate name.

By the way on the map there’s a gas station with the name “Gas Station” which is no real name and the tag amenity=fuel and the symbol make it already clear that it’s a gas station. We also don’t tag amenity=bench together with name=bench.

Removed

Agree, split the road in 3 parts. I had already 2 but never 3 parts in Khon Kaen.

By the way I wouldn’t classify the road/roads as unclassified. It’s role in the highway grid is clearly residential, i.e. for traffic inside the village or city. It’s not leading to or from a settlement or connecting settlements. A router might use unclassified as shortcut which is surely not welcome by the residents. Imho that’s the important difference between residential and unclassified. But unfortunately it was decided for Mapnik not to distinguish between them.

Removed

The classification doesn’t depend on the vehicle used. If cars and trucks don’t or can’t use this road as shortcut it’s a residential. Scooters could even use pathes as shortcut. To yield useable maps we should tag the use not the misuse of highways even if it’s rather common in Thailand.

It’s the other way round. Usually unclassified highways allow higher speeds than residential highways, by physical or legal means. Thus they are preferred for faster driving through, into or out of a settlement. To enable the correct selection of a highway by humans and machines the correct classification and rendering is essential. The legal accessibility of a highway is described by Key:access. There shouldn’t and hopefully is nowhere a “hidden meaning” in the wiki. We all should have the same understanding.

Sukhumvit has a few soi which are numbered and have an additional name.

http://thaimap.osm-tools.org/?zoom=16&lat=13.73265&lon=100.57238&layers=B00

currently they are hidden in the name tag in brackets.
alt_name or loc_name might be better tagging schemes for this.

Stephan

Removed