Naming of links

Removed

See Wiki

Removed

You should always use ‘ref’ for road numbers, not name. It seems you have ‘named’ h’way 4 in Laos right through… If you use ‘ref’ then the number will appear on some maps (like Garmin) in a box, rather than very small along the road.

Regards,
Peter.

Removed

Removed

deleted duplicate entry

Removed

I had a look at the OSM data but I’m not familiar with this area. The major road 34 is classified as trunk and the frontage road was classified primary, i.e. lower. Google maps and other maps which I checked are also classifying the frontage road lower than the major road. Imho that’s the right way because the major road is the preferred highway for fast and long distance routing. And thus major roads should be higher classified. Remember the classification is the primary information for routing.

In June Paul_012 changed the frontage road of highway 34 to trunk, the same as the major road, in this changeset with the comment “Bang Na - Bang Pakong Rd → trunk”. May be he can tell us why he did this.

As far as I know the frontage roads don’t and shouldn’t have highway numbers (ref) but could have the name of the major road appended with “frontage road”. The directions “follow the highway 34” and “leave highway 34 at exit x to y frontage road” are meaningful. But the direction “leave highway 34 at exit x to highway 34” would be rather confusing.

Removed

I made that edit in order to properly show Route 34 with four carriageways, and also upgrade it to trunk class since it has pretty much surpassed Sukhumvit (Route 3) in importance. (Most of Sukhumvit between Bang Pu and Bang Pakong is a two-lane undivided road.) I followed what is currently done with the portion of Phahon Yothin (Route 1) between Bangkok and Saraburi and tagged both the main and frontage roads as trunk.

From what I understand, both the main and frontage carriageways are administratively and legally considered to be parts of the same highway. The same default speed limits apply, although motorcycles usually aren’t allowed in the main carriageway. When the Department of Highways announces maintenance work on a route, I understand it to be referring to both the main and frontage roads, inclusively.

If we were to strictly follow the DOH’s usage, the frontage roads would also have to be tagged with the same ref numbers. I agree though that this doesn’t seem very practical in terms of navigation. There doesn’t seem to be a bullet-proof method for naming either. Take Phahon Yothin Road, for example. For navigation you’d want to be able to distinguish between the main and frontage roads by name, but in reality no one would give their address as “Phahonyothin frontage road”.

As for classification, Google Maps is inconsistent for Route 34; it shows some segments of the frontage in white but further out colours both the frontage and main roads yellow. I guess it depends on whether we want to emphasize the “part of the same road” idea or the fact that the main carriageway has higher priority. A compromise may be to classify the frontage as one level lower than the main road. It wouldn’t make much logical sense, but should work for most purposes.

Removed

Removed

Removed