State Mapping Assignment

Hi,

in our OSM documentation are various pages about the mapping progress in India. I think we shouldn’t double the information.

Users in India:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Users_in_India

Primary contributers:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/India/Primary_contributors

Road mapping and status in India
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/India:Roads

Regards

Thanks Oberaffe. Your links are really useful about Indian Mapping status.

Hi,i am more of cross country driver and always track the area i travel…post that i have been updating the routes (using my GPS tracks) and nearby areas using Bing maps…hence it might be difficult for limiting myself to one region…:(…
Having said that, i am willing to do the mapping for any state you wish me to update, considering that i live in Delhi and travel quite often to western UP, Haryana and all the 3 Himalayan states (HP, UK and J&K).

Hi Alok,

You can really help the community. You travel more then anyone of us and with your GPS system can provide good data to map.

You can map real good road and highways. I am mapping south west Delhi, around Najafgarh, Dhansa and Nangloi Area. May be you can log into these areas and map few of the roads if you have some GPS data of these areas.

Regards,
Sandeep

NH 79 & NH 3 was done in April. Have verified NH 79 again from Indore to Kishangarh…added source GPS also wherever missing…will review NH 3 between Indore and Agra again and update it also, wherever required…you can mark them complete and validated…!!

NH 3 from Indore and Agra is validated and upto date…added Source as GPS at all the earlier updates done by me…(have to delete the data of an existing user between Gwalior and Agra,as it seemed to be made with sat imagery and was not highly accurate,my apologies to him/her…updated it with detailed GPS track data)…Also updated the route with bridges, wherever i was able to find with Bing imagery,NH 3 can be marked as complete and validated…!!

NH 119 (Pauri Highway) from Meerut till Srinagar (UttaraKhand) updated and validated…!! Also added SH12A (also known as Muzzafarnagar-miranpur marg). Today only i figured that i had the GPS track for this Highway also…:)…that was tracked, as we missed the turn at Miranpur towards Pauri and went straight…!!

NH119 and SH12A, can be marked as complete and validated…!!

While validating NH119, i had to write off the hard work of one user, who had mapped it using some satellite imagery and was inaccurate at many points…!

I would also like to highlight that, i noticed in recent past, there are couple of users (and it is couple of users) who tend to just put one nodes on the ways updated by me and mark the change as it is done by them…:(…it seems cheating, as they are not doing any value add to make our maps better, but use someone else’s data to show that they are doing a great job in mapping our country…!! (they might be doing it for other users also…)

Hi Alok

it is nice to see that somebody map also in UP. But I can not find your GPS tracks inside OSM. Is it maybe possible that you share you GPS traces with all? It is much easier to adjust the aerial views from Bing with actual GPS traces.
You can upload you tracks in your OSM user account.

Openstreetmap is not a competition program! It doesnt matter who has the most nodes or ways created. We try to create a map of the world and if somebody improve your ways be happy and work together.:slight_smile:

Regards

Hi Oberaffe, I use Josm to upload my GPS tracks. Since I’m already updating the data using GPX files, I thought it gets uploaded automatically.

Yes, I have been mapping UP for quite some time now. Mapped NH 119 way back in 2010. But, covering mainly western UP, in addition to Himalayan States…!

I know this a open source and everyone contributes. My point was, let people contribute and not cut paste others hard work…anyway, I would not waste my time and energy on this,my intent is to map this grat country with the most accurate data and will keep doing it till I remain motivated…

Hi Alok,

I think you use the JOSM functionality “convert to data layer” for GPS tracks. If you do this you should get this message:

This means upload first your GPS track to OSM and afterwards you can scetch your track from the GPS track on the OSM server. It is one step more, but better for the comunity. The second advantage is, that you not create roads with harmful data. (this happens if you direct convert a GPS track in a way)

I checked your SH12A and I found a speedlimit on all ways. Are there speed limit signs on the road or is this only a average speed? While in UP is officialy no speedlimit defined by the goverment!

Regards

I tried that in my earlier days,and it was a daunting task. Hence i switched to Josm.
I never got the warning that you mentioned.
moreover, convert to data layer helps me update only the section that needs an update., and its been working good for the last 2 years, without any harm to the road mapping.

if we could have a way, by which i can import the GPX file data for the segment to be updated and system captures all the data from GPX file.

On the speed limit part, i try to out it to the average speed that one can get on that road, as it will help them to get the most accurate time of arrival, once used in routing applications. All the NH have a speed limit of 90 and SH have a speed limit of 80 across the country. One state might decide to change it, but i haven’t seen it yet…!!

Also to mention that i have retagged the NH73 segment, that was tagged earlier by me as Yamunanagar Bypass from trunk to Tertiary. The reason is that its not a highway but a village road that people use to bypass the traffic of Yamunanagar, while moving from Saharanpur to Ambala…Saharanpur being my hometown, i travel on these routes quite often…

I repaired the NH73 and NH73A relations this morning and removed the ref tags.

The maxspeed tag is not for average speed designation. If now in UP is a offical speedlimit defined, then you have to use this in the maxspeed tag. In the Internet you can find the speedlimits for several states in India, but for UP is everytime written “no speedlimt”. This means in UP you have to use the maxspeed tag only if a traffic sign define a lower speedlimt over a definded way. (e.g. inside villages or citys)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_India

Regards

Hi,
I have a large number of GPS Trackplots for Eastern/ NorthEastern India. A couple of questions regarding these. Had asked in the Talk-In forum without any reply.

A) What is the resolution expected for intercity highways/ Roads? Lets take a concrete example: - if one has a trackplot at 1 sec interval, how should one filter it before uploading.

There is another question regarding licensing. What if a person says
‘You can use my trackplots for drawing roads in any noncommercial site, but I retain the right to use my trackplots in any way I want, including commercial.’
Obviously his trackplots cannot be uploaded. But can they be used? Like one uses it in JOSM to form a road layer, which one uploads, but does not upload the trackplot.

Regards
Sutripta

Hi Sutripta,

For OSM is the the best resolution that you upload the trackplot direct. My personal tracks have all a 1 sec resulution and this is sometimes not high enough.

There is no possibility to exclude commercial sites. If you create a road layer, the GPS tracks are for the comunity lost. Furthermore the resolution of all consumer GPS tracking devices is not high enough to transform the Track to a road. But if you adjust a aerial view with 5-10 tracks of the same road. You will get a high precision road track.

If you need help to upload the tracks ask me(per PM). I can help to upload the tracks.

Reagards

Thanks, but uploading tracks (and converting to a road layer) is no problem at all. Digitising is (in that it is timeconsuming and requires patience)

AFAIK,
best is to digitise from PROPERLY ORTHORECTIFIED aerial/ satellite images. (Given the way Googles images shift around, I have doubts about their rectification process.)
Next best is to take a bunch of gpstrackplots, and digitise by hand.
Both of these are fairly timeconsuming, which is why I guess one sometimes sees roads which seem to be drawn by the London Underground cartographers.
Next option (least effort, my choice) would be converting trackplot with good DOP. So what are the forums views on that?

Anyway, the question is if one has the option of putting in a road from a gpstrackplot without uploading the trackplot itself, and not putting in the road itself, what should one do?

Regards
Sutripta

Sutripta wrote : „There is another question regarding licensing. What if a person says
‘You can use my trackplots for drawing roads in any noncommercial site, but I retain the right to use my trackplots in any way I want, including commercial.’
Obviously his trackplots cannot be uploaded. But can they be used? Like one uses it in JOSM to form a road layer, which one uploads, but does not upload the trackplot. „

If you upload those GPS-tracks of someone else, this person has still the right, to use the tracks just like he wants to do. OSm doesn’t make here any restrictions.

Sutripta wrote :** „I have a large number of GPS Trackplots for Eastern/ NorthEastern India.“**
To upload all these tracks in one turn, you can use the perl-scripts (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Batch_Upload). I didn’t use this up to now, so don’t ask me for details.

Sutripta wrote :** „Anyway, the question is if one has the option of putting in a road from a gpstrackplot without uploading the trackplot itself, and not putting in the road itself, what should one do? „**
If you are the owner of the GPS-tracks or someone else says: „ You can use my trackplots for drawing roads in any noncommercial site“ you should upload them in the way Oberaffe already described.
Why : In India we only have the Bing-images and we don’t know the offsets at all. So we can’t rely an these satellite images. We only come to a high accuracy of our data, if there are a lot of uploaded GPS-tracks. Then we can average together with the Bing-images.
In other countries the situation is better (aerowest in some parts of Germany; PCN in Italy…), where those satellite-images nearly don’t have an offset and a prescision up to 50cm.
If you don’t have the time to map the roads yourself, then you can only upload the track and wait till someone else does the mapping for you. In Rajasthan i found big regions without any GPS-tracks.

Sutripta wrote in Talk_in :** „Say one has a GPS trackplot at 1 sec intervals. Should it be put up raw, or filtered. If filtered, by how much?“**
In my opinion automatic filtering of GPS-tracks is useless. Potlach has a filter to remove unreliable points. This can be usefull, but then the uploaded tracks should be compared to other tracks and satellite- images.

Sutripta wrote :** „Both of these are fairly timeconsuming, which is why I guess one sometimes sees roads which seem to be drawn by the London Underground cartographers.
Next option (least effort, my choice) would be converting trackplot with good DOP. So what are the forums views on that? „**

I suppose, that the horrible roads, you mentioned, are from the AND-Imports or other imports before the BING-time. Converting GPS-tracks to a road is the easiest but not recommandable way to make roads.
Comparing with other GPS-tracks and satellite-images is indispensible for high accuracy. The precision of normal GPS-tracker like a Garmin Oregon is 10 to 20m. I don’t know any mappers who spend 3000€ (200 000 Rupies) for a GSP-tracker with a precision of 1m.
Of course, converted GSP-tracks are much better than those horrible AND-Imports. And other mappers could make the corrections. If these roads have an fixme-tag, it’s easier to find them.

At the moment only 10 to 15 mappers are working each day in India (http://osmstats.altogetherlost.com/?item=countries). That means, the number of mappers in India is comparible to Bulgaria, Romania…
This big continent needs more mappers to construct a good map. So everybody is welcome to contribute as much as he can.

Updated MDR49 ( Dalhouse Khajiar Road) in Himachal and added some POI’s.

I can upload GPS traces from my Blackberry 9900 Bold Touch. All rights to Openstreetmap.org community.

Dear Parambyte,

Then please do so. It’s for good cause to help others.

Happy Mapping !!

Hello, Im Dr. Aneesh from Bangalore…
I have mapped all the state highways of Karnataka according to the state’s pwd website :slight_smile: