Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Yes, you can redirect the donator after payment to a specific thank you url.

Shouldn’t that be 2000.typ? At least that’s the name of the file on the server…

Thanks for that. Will look into it.

Ah yes, 2000.typ it is :roll_eyes:

2012/06/28 18:45 here in Asia and all I get on the main page are the “Loading data, please wait” messages with the spinning wheels.
(Chrome and Firefox)

Multiple refreshes and cache emptying does not seem to help. Is the problem on my end, or perhaps yours due to the mad rush for maps?

Thanks for all your work.

When you use JaVaWa GMTK to add or replace a TYP file you don’t have to bother about ID’s and file names; that is taken care of automatically.

When the server is busy you might see some delay, but most times I have to wait it is the OpenLayers server that is slow in serving the OpenLayers JS library. In the statistics I see a dramatic reduction in activity since about 02:00 CET today, before that it was indeed a continuous mad rush for maps. At 02:00 the request queue was empty again and after that the server is only doing sporadic work which is likely to pick-up again this afternoon.

So, you shouldn’t be seeing the spinning wheels for long and at least Firefox should work just fine. Can’t reproduce your problem here, sorry.

Hello Lambertus,

I am trying to get some maps of France from the website. But all I get on the main page are the “Loading data, please wait” messages with the spinning wheels.
(Chrome, IE, Maxthon and Firefox) Is it too busy on the website or the server is overloaded?

At which time it is less crowded? So i can make a connection.

Regards Nico

Same problem here, this is the error:

OpenLayers.loadURL is not a function
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/routable.js
Line 162

Nico, user ‘alimamo’ describes the same problem above. But I can’t reproduce it. Each time I open the website the data is loaded (‘spinning wheels’) within a few seconds, this is the case at work and at home (Windows and Linux). I have no clue why the site responds this way for you.

Are you or ‘alimamo’ able to load the following file (you should see a large XML document listing countries/continents/tiles/etc.)? http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic/20-06-2012/countries.xml

If you can’t load this file then please post the result from the following command:
If you use Windows, using a command prompt:
tracert osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de

Or if you use Linux or Mac, using a terminal:
traceroute osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de

Edit: Ah, tune_it seems to be on the problem :slight_smile:

Ok, so there seems to be an OpenLayers problem. I’ll check it out. Thanks for reporting this!

This problem is neatly explained if you find that OpenLayers has just released a new version (2.12) that deprecates the OpenLayers.loadURL function :roll_eyes:

Edit: I replaced the loadURL() with Request.Get() function and now it works again. I guess I didn’t encounter this problem because I probably still had an older version of OpenLayers in my browser cache. This problem probably explains why the server was so relaxed today as well. :expressionless:

Thanks all for reporting!

Here it seems to hang forever at “Checking existing maps…”. Firefox and Opera, cache cleared, tried selecting a whole country and just a single tile.

Yes we are one step further now, here it also keeps spinning on checking for existing maps, can’t download anything.

Chrome error:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'Request' of undefined routable.js:493
selectionDone routable.js:493
updateList routable.js:445
onUpdateTiles routable.js:387
(anonymous function)

Firefox error:

OpenLayers.Ajax is undefined
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/routable.js
Line 493

new OpenLayers.Ajax.Request('exists.php',

Oops, I was lazy and didn’t check the rest… Thanks for bringing this to my attention, but it will have to wait until tomorrow (bedtime now).

Edit: Added the deprecated.js file to the website so that it at least works for now. Will have to do some cleanup later.

Dear Lambertus,

Unfortunately I have to come back to the ‘hole’ in Paris I have reported earlier. Even in the latest update, it is still there although we now end up in Texas and Portugal. I’ve tried to follow this up on the Forum, but a lot has happened in the meantime and I’m not sure about the status.

Thanks once again.

I hoped this was only a one-time fluke. But now that it happened again I’m going to investigate more deeply. Thanks for reporting the problem.

Lambertus,

Have you considered to create (European) areas, like Benelux, British Isles, Iberian Peninsula, The Alps and Scandinavia. You already have linked the tiles to countries, so creating areas could be a combination of those existing countries. Switzerland and Austria would cover the Alps, Spain and Portugal for the Iberian Peninsula. You’ll get the point :wink:

Obviously the next question will be the various regions in the US, like New England and the Midwest, but the locals over there will be able to tell which states form those regions. Once the mechanism is setup correctly adding more areas should not be too difficult.

You can probably see how often manual selections are requested and which tiles that are. That would give an impression of the need for these areas.

I’ve been thinking about some sort of permalink function before. I don’t think that adding more pull-down menu’s with many random cryptic descriptions would be very helpful, so perhaps a wiki page that lists these permalinks with a description and e.g. screenshot would be nice? Users could be providing the content…

Besides permalinks, you are aware that you can now use the mouse-drag method in manual tile selection mode to quickly select regions like the Alps without any effort?

I don’t really have an overview of which tiles or areas are selected most as I don’t keep records of which tile number was associated with which coordinates and, on top of that, the tile-coordinates drift around. Though I know that the usual suspects are the well mapped and holiday countries like Germany, Netherlands, UK, Italy etc.

Permalinks could definitely be a solution. But when you say that tile-coordinates drift, one can expect problems with permalinks as well. Linking areas to the predefined countries/states could solve that. :sunglasses:

I had noticed the mouse drag, works really great!
But the advantage of predefined areas would be that there is a greater change that the download is already available.

You are absolutely right about adding areas to the combos. I don’t have a solution for that right now :confused:

A permalink would be a set of coordinates (a.k.a. a polygon or linestring in geo-lingo) which would be matched against the available tiles and would -for a given version- always result in the same tile selection and thus the same MD5-sum and thus the same directory on the server and thus allow caching.

It would work identical to the mouse-drag select action: you draw a square (a set of coordinates) and OpenLayers determines which tiles fall (partially) within the area covered by the square. But a permalink would additionally allow not only squares but polygons as well.

It took me a few days to get back, and I read through the replies. However as of this post, I am still not seeing a map, predefined country selections, or what ever is supposed to be in the “Request your map or download it directly:” section.

There are no spinning wheels, but there is also nothing I can do except click the radio buttons or the check box, and click the links.
:frowning:

Firefox, Chrome, IE and cleared caches.