Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Removed

That might be a good thing. If I understand correctly, on April 1 the database purge started to remove data from providers who didn’t accept the new licensing terms. Therefore, post 4/1/2012 data should be less complete.

They still havent changed the license so the data is still under cc-by-sa license.
The last update of the demo version of the custom site with the cycling map is from 28/04 (just add index_new.php after the regular url).

Do you mean that the sky isn’t falling? Talk-US sounded like April 1 was the end of the world. Are there plans to leave the old license in place? And will I be able to get an openfietsmap for the state of Utah, USA?

Seldom, you can check the license change progress out on http://blog.osmfoundation.org/
You can test an openfietsmap for Utah here (if this server is not down like now).

Hallo Ligfietser,

Ik ben nieuw op OSM, en heb mij netjes geregistreerd, maar als ik probeer mijn eigen map aan te maken en selecties (3) maak, krijg ik geen verbinding met Duitsland waar alles vandaan komt; waar ligt dat aan?
Groetjes, Karel

Edited by Lambertus: Karel, this is an international forum please continue the discussion in English, thanks!. To answer your question: the custom map server -which is located in Germany- is currently down. I hope it will be serviced by the administrator on Monday.

Usually I’m trying to update every week or so, but OSM is moving to new license and this might cause a temporary reduction in map quality. I’m also working on a new version of the website with some new features and a second map specifically for cyclists. These two topics have caused the lack of updates in the last month.

For everyone out there who is concerned about the lack of updates (I’ve received quite a lot of emails on this topic lately): I have no intention to stop providing the maps.

A newer version of the map is available for the new version of the website but the custom map server is currently down so I won’t provide a link yet. The custom map server will be serviced on Monday, I hope.

Housekeeping note: moved-off topic discussion to it’s own topic.

Update: server downtime is caused by complete powerloss at the datacenter.

Wow!, can’t wait 'til it gets up. Thanks, Lambertus and Ligfietser.:smiley:

Edit Lambertus: fix (for Dutch folks) embarrassing typo :wink:

Did he write LIEgfietser? :wink:

In English to lie or to lie is the same but with different meanings, in Dutch Lieg = lie (not to tell the thruth) and lig = lie (lay down, recumbent).
Fietser comes from fiets (bicycle) which seems derived from the German Vize Pferd (vice horse, the first bicycles were seen as replacement for horse) :wink:

Uhuh :laughing:

Too bad you guys don’t have any embarassed icons, or I’d use one.:confused: Guess my Gymnasiumdeutsch doesn’t translate too well into Dutch. To the east of you guys lieg means to lie, as in horizontal.

No worries Seldom, we know when someone blushes, with or without the correct smiley :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW. Power is back and the website is accessible again.

Ah I see you added a donation button on the new site!

So everybody who appreciates this service is welcome to send tips! :wink:

Yes, I used a rainy Saturday afternoon to figure out how PayPal works and create an account. I had nothing better to do… :roll_eyes:

English speaker needs help. :frowning:
I just downloaded Openfietsmap Lite for Utah, USA.
I can’t see any contours in BaseCamp.
I can’t figure out how to translate the Dutch readme file.
I notice the TYP file is named ofmlite.TYP. I’ve normally seen this as a 5 digit file name.
Do I need to install something with MapSetToolkit or JavawaGMTK?
Thanks.

Contours are not included.
You can’t download the mapsource installer openfietsmap_lite_mapsource.exe to install the map?
I don’t know where you have found a Dutch readme file?
Typ file with names should work (as long as it doesn’t exceed 8 characters or digits).

You can find more about the instructions how to use the map at http://www.openfietsmap.nl/tips-tricks

If contours aren’t included, its showing correctly.
The installer worked fine.
The Dutch ReadMe was from an old download I left on my computer.
It showed up in a search and I thought it was with the Lite download. Sorry for the confusion.
Too bad about the contours. I was hoping you guys had figured a way to blend in SRTM on demand.

Contours are not included (yet).

Don’t take the (yet) as: that I will add it later for sure. I’m not.
I will take it under consideration only

1. if there is a (scriptable) method of retrieving and splitting and handling the whole planet and
  2. if I can find the storage space to host it. This is probably not a real problem.

Where did you find the Dutch readme file?

Correct. I think it will be better to move to a numerical one.

You shouldn’t if you previously had not needed it for the generic routable map. Why do you ask?

/me just back from an exhausting MTB training trip :confused:

Edit: Ah, we’ve got crossing posts.

I’m hoping someone will find figure it out too :slight_smile:

Lambertus, maybe take the FID for the name of the typ file: 20011.typ
About contours: Thorsten Kukuk has made a set of USA contours, see http://tk-osm.thkukuk.de
You can merge them with my osm combi tool (http://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/osm_combi) somehow
but I haven’t adapted my scripts to the new openfietsmap world wide lite version yet (which means that it will omit the 6344*.img index files automatically, so you have to do it yourself).

I will.

That might work on a linux server, assuming that gmt.exe will run on Mono, but it requires a complete rewrite of the script.

This will be the least problem…

Anyway, I’m parking this (worldwide contours) for later.

I’m currently working on fixing bugs in the new toolchain and adding documentation to the OSM wiki.