osmand

Native rendering was not checked.

This was on a tablet with screen resolution 1024x600
and 1GB RAM.

Installed it on a phone with hardly a quarter of that RAM. 340x480.

Here the latest osmand_development renders ok.

Osmand is so great!

Will read the link later. Thanks.

Address search on houses/buildings works great in Osmand.

OsmAnd is a great application. The offline vector maps sometimes seem to crash my Xperia Active due to running out of memory, but I guess I can live with that.

Are there OsmAnd developers on this forum? I am new to Android programming, but am familiar with Java, and I write C/C++ on Linux for living.

I would like to improve the GPX recording capabilities of OsmAnd. So far, I have recorded a few traces with MyTracks, but I do not like the bundling to Google Maps nor the way the ANT+Sport support has been implemented. GPX allows custom extensions, so I believe that it should be possible to record things like the following:
• temperature
• barometric pressure (for more accurate elevation data)
• compass bearing
• accelerometer data (for determining the smoothness of the surface when the devices is mounted on bicycle handlebars)
• ANT+Sport sensor data (mainly for applications like MyTourbook, but also to augment GPS with an alternative stream of position from odometer+compass)
• battery level (might be interesting to see if the accuracy of some readings depend on the battery level)

The Osmand developers are not present at this forum.

A better place is definitively the official Osmand mailing list that you can subscribe via http://code.google.com/p/osmand/

Hi, before opening a further issue on Osmand’s tracker page:

Using latest dev-build master#750 downloaded today on a motorola defy with Android 2.2.2

In the last few days I have been around an area where some POIs were missing, so I tried the “add POI” functionality of Osmand the first time.

After long tapping on the screen in an empty area to select “Create POI” I added only the name of a restaurant or a shop to store the minimal information about it. This was repeated with a dozen of POIs during my walk.

Afterwards I wanted to edit these offline saved POIs at Settings → General Settings → Locally saved OSM points.

There, the newly created POIs are listed in green letters, whereas old POIs from OSM data are listed in violet letters if you edited them.

Two issues:

1. I am not able to edit the green newly POIs afterwards. Is this feature missing indeed or am I blind?

2. when I choose “Delete POI modification” for such a green POI, it seems to be no more listed there, but when I go back in Osmand’s menu and then reenter “Locally saved OSM points”, this formerly green deleted POI reappers again. Can someone reproduce this???

(Also there is http://code.google.com/p/osmand/issues/detail?id=908 dealing with POI handling …)

Stephan

Hi,
I have a OpenCycleMap and a CycleMap Layer in OSMAND(0.7.2a).

Is there any difference between these 2 layers?

Chris

can someone tell me how long it is to see my own changes in osm in my androidapp ( osmand+)
kind regards
gandalf

Tell us first whether you are using tile data for map display or the compressed vector maps offered by OsmAnd’s website.

If you download the list with available map files from within the Osmand app, a date is shown when the obf file was produced, and the date of the map fuile that is already stored on your device.

If you are using tile data, I think they are pulled directly from one of OSM’s tile servers … so changes should appear quickly there.

CycleMap:

http://code.google.com/p/osmand/source/browse/DataExtractionOSM/src/net/osmand/map/TileSourceManager.java

OpenCycleMap:

http://code.google.com/p/osmand/source/browse/config/site/tile_sources.xml

I updated to OsmAnd 0.8, and I must say that it is a huge improvement over the previous version. My biggest complaint is that I would have preferred to compile maps myself, but I was unable to find a compatible OsmAndMapCreator. So, I downloaded the precompiled offline vector map (basemap and two country maps), which work fine. Offline bicycle routing still does not work well in urban areas, but it is inherently much more difficult than car routing. At least the recalculation will not freeze the whole software, as it would do in the Garmin Edge 705. I will not miss the Garmin much. Good job!

Isn’t there mapcreator in nightly builds?
If you used that one, and it doesn’t work, you can try setting up Jenkins but it’s overkill.

OsmAndMapCreator compatible with market version (0.8):
http://download.osmand.net/latest-night-build/OsmAndMapCreator-marketcompatible.zip

OsmAndMapCreator compatible with development version (0.8):
http://download.osmand.net/latest-night-build/OsmAndMapCreator-development.zip

Currently, both OsmAndMapCreator versions (development and market) are compatible with all 0.8 versions.

Thanks, I was looking from the wrong place (Google code).
I have been part of the mkgmap community, but I am seriously considering to change direction. I have been building a map of Finland in Garmin format, correcting or suppressing all errors that mkgmap is reporting (mainly, oneways to/from nowhere without fixme=* at one of the end nodes, broken coastline or multipolygons, broken turn restriction relations).

This is a very good application. Thanks a lot to the developpers!

How can we update the vector maps?

Osmand releases new versions of maps every now and then. If you go to Settings>offline data> you can check if there is a new version. (make sure you have internet connection) If the mapname is blue there is. you then push the download button. If it’s green you have the latest version

Thank you very much!

I just tried invoking OsmAndMapCreator, downloaded a couple of weeks ago.

The splitter+mkgmap takes only a couple of minutes on my quad-core laptop. The OsmAndMapCreator seems to take at least one hour. Is there some work in progress to make the compilation faster? Also, is there a non-GUI front-end that simply takes the finland.osm.pbf that I downloaded from Geofabrik?

The OsmAndMapCreator process seems to be I/O bound. I assume that even during the rare periods when the hard disk LED is turned off, the program is only using one CPU core.

I am not a programmer, but quite familiar with Osmand and the related elements that have to be processed by MapCreator.

The main developers Victor and Pavol are very busy with improving Osmand at all, but I would like to ask them:

Does it make sense to run Mapcreator wit a profiler program like Valgrind or others to see where it can be speeded up?

This question would be better placed at Osmand’s googlegroups forum.

Stephan

Hi folks, using Osmand on HTC Explorer with the maps from the osmand server.

I’m in Wellington, New Zealand. Have been trying out directions for the last couple of days and really impressed !

The OSM data is pretty good for this region as far as street names is concerned, but very little data in house numbers. I found some examples in Auckland, and checked to see that the address search finds them.

My question is about Transportation search.

For Transportation, I just get some text “Transportation results (5.81 km to target)”. Not able to click on the “Find more” button, it is disabled. How do I get this to work ?

The POI search works ok, just very little data in the Wellington Region… Guess I am going to have to get cracking on updating OSM :slight_smile:

Hi,
what does the double-slash (“//”) in line 47 mean in the default render rules ?
http://code.google.com/p/osmand/source/browse/DataExtractionOSM/src/net/osmand/render/default.render.xml
Chris