Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Thanks! :slight_smile:

It looks good (I had to remove one of you other mapsets (Benelux srtm) first because of conflicting Family ID numbers, but now I can see the map in Mapsource). Can’t load it in Basecamp as image file on my virtual disk drive, probably it is too large… Havent tried it on the GPS yet.

Ok, the family ID of the Benelux srtm was wrong :frowning: Fixed now the database, so that the next build should have a correct one.

The custom map server is moving to another server due to problems with the network load. This might take about two days starting April 4th, so please be patient.

A note: the new server has much inferior CPU performance compared to the old server so I expect longer queues now and then. I hope this can be lessened a bit by more clever programming on my part so please pray/twist thumbs I can unleash some clever php-fu on the scripts. Don’t expect too much though… Maybe I’ll start using some of the advanced stuff Ligfietser has used to reduce the amount of compressing for his cycle maps.

I hope this server switch eliminates the frequent server crashes we had during the last year or so.

Does this mean you will implement the SRTM map in the next Europe Update?

Yes, very soon I will put it online, the first results are looking very good (thanks to Thorsten for his help compiling them). Maybe I’ll put them also as separate map so you can combine them as well with Lambertus map on the GPS.

Looking indeed very good! Allready combined the map for test and i was also impressed by the result.
Just another brief question:
By creating a route in Mapsource, i noticed it uses the default “Knooppunten” by creating a route. Is it possible to avoid this?

The new server is configured and up and running.

A few changes have been made to the scripts because I’m expecting that this server is a bit slower:

• The thead pool (3 maps are created simultaneously) is now constantly updated with new requests instead of using a list of requests at the time the script starts. The old method was less efficient when only one thread was left working on a large request while new requests had to wait for the script to restart. The new script checks for new requests every time a thread is finished.
  • The default lzma compression of the NSIS installer for Windows is now overruled to use bzip2 using a commandline option. This will speed-up the MapSource version of the map considerably.

Please use this topic concerning the Openfietsmap (otherwise Lambertus will kick me ;))

Edit by Lambertus: Haha :slight_smile:

Do worldwide routable downloads now incorporate OSM license changes?

Sorry Ligfietser I missed this question :frowning:

I’m interested in trying to host the SRTM tiles for Garmin map purposes for the whole world (I hope my sponsor won’t mind the significant extra bandwidth usage that most probably comes with it), preferably already splitted into usable tile sizes. One of the servers has a partition with 380 GB free diskspace. I hope that all the SRTM data in OSM PBF or OSM XML.7z format will be small enough to fit.

As I understand, from the discussion between you and Kukuk above, the creation of the ready-to-use tiles is a bit tricky. I’m thinking of using Phyghtmap for downloading the data in large PBF chunks, merge the osm files with Osmosis into a planet and then use Splitter to create suitably sized tiles. Can you or Kukuk tell me if this could work? What are the pitfalls?

A few specific questions:

• What is a useful interval of the contour lines, 20 or perhaps 50 meters?
  • What base ID should be used for the nodes and ways?
  • Is incorporating viewfinderpanorama data useful?
  • I found this wiki page that describes how to properly process the SRTM data. Seems quite complex to me, is it necessary?

No, because the site is currently using data from 01-04-2012 and therefore still uses the CC-by-SA 2.0 license. I’ve ran an update this weekend (due to be uploaded to the server) this weekend but, afaik, this is also still provided under the CC-by-SA 2.0 license.

The number of nodes, or better you will run out of IDs. With the west part of the USA I run already out of node IDs because of a 32bit signed tile splitter bug. The bug is meanwhile fixed, but this only means you will run into the problem again later. And this without merging the SRTM data with the OSM data, starting with node ID=1.
The other problem is, that 8GB of main memory are already critical for the US alone.

Depends on the density in the area, in some areas 10 meters are a good value, in others 50. But I haven’t found a good way to find out when to use which interval.

If you want to merge with OSM data: I don’t know, Else start with 1.

Yes, I can only recommend to prefer that data. The NASA data for europe has quite some “holes”.

Yes and no. I have implemented the --max-nodes-per-way option for phyghtmap some time ago and I use it with “–max-nodes-per-way=250”. This should prevent this artefacts. If you still see such artefacts, lower the number even more.

Thorsten

Thanks Thorsten, it’s going to be a challenge. That’s for sure.

Why is it needing so much memory? I assume that this is needed for splitting into tiles by Phyghtmap? But is that necessary? I.e. would it be possible to just append all the SRTM data to a single PBF file and split it with Splitter? I know Splitter isn’t perfect yet for splitting contours but it has a lot of work built-in to process large amounts of data, so it seems to me like it is the natural choice to attack this problem of splitting the data into tiles.

Ah, I was afraid for that. I hate doing manual laborious dull work and this sounds like a lot of manual tweaking. :frowning:

Please forgive my dumb questions, but are there reasons why one would merge the contours with OSM data? Would a separate image layer for the contours not fit most needs?

Okay, but the viewfinderpanorama data is not free, that is, the siteowner must be asked for permission for the things I want to do and he can say “no”. I’ll ask him if I decide to go ahead.

Great, at least there is a way out of the problems described in that wiki page. :slight_smile:

if you use viewfinderpanoramas.org data, you may not merge the data (different license). If you don#t use it, you end up with bad quality contourlines. Still, contourlines for the whole world, will take you a lot of time to generate (as the tools are not made for it), or need a machine with at least 64GB RAM…
(as for space, I would assume for the generation 200GB are about what you need).

Hi all, after some years of straightforward installation into mapsource, the mapping gods have turned against me. I just cannot get it to work anymore. Installation of OSM routable into mapsource I mean. I tried anything I could think of. Reinstall mapsource even. But all of it in vain.
Suggestions anybody?

Thnx for your help, Hein

Hein, we need more info on what goes wrong. Error message, or what happens or doesn’t happen.

OK, this is waht happens:

I choose Netherlands for the map I want to download from the routable site.
Choose mapsource.exe to download
After download complete I “open” mapsource.exe
for the installation I direct the installer to c:\Program Files\Openstreetmap Garmin Maps\ (this folder also contains NL-FRYSK that IS recognized in Mapsource)
during installation I acknowledge/Ok permissions etc. and the folder containing a (seamingly) correct nr of img files is installed
the installed OSM routable map is also visible in the list of installed software (Configuration)
however, when I start mapsource OSM routable is not in the list of mapproducts.

When I mess around with the working NL-FRYSK map, (I move all original files out of the NL-FRYSK folder and exchange them for the files in the OSM routable). The mapproduct NL-FRYSK dissappears from the list of mapproducts in mapsource. I cannot use it anymore. When I undo the move and put the original files back in, the N-FRYSK is available again.

All the time there are no error messages as far as I can see.

I am running Windows Vista, my browser is Firefox. I have basecamp installed as well. That behaves the same as mapsource.

Does this help?

Thnx, Hein

So, you are installing the OSM map into the SAME folder that contains the NL-FRYSK files? If so, this is the problem. All maps must reside in their own folders.

If not, try installing JaVaWa GMTK. This will probably tell you what is wrong and fix it for you.

The “OSM Routable” map is in a folder named “OSM Routable”. the “NL-FRYSK” map is a folder named “NL-FRYSK”. These foders being made during the installation process. In my opinion this means they are in sepaarte forlders? Both folders share a (higher level folder) named “Openstreetmap Garmin Maps”.

Can JaVaWa GMTK help in this case? I do not want to move maps?

Hein

I just re-read your post and now see how you make the NL map disappear. :slight_smile:

JaVaWa let’s you check for errors and offers to fix them. Moving maps is just one thing the app does. Give it a go. There is either a conflict with your NL map or your registry is somehow messed up. There is a good chance that this will help you.