Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Shouldn’t be a problem to generate one, I only don’t have enough space on my webserver anymore.

Thorsten

I’m also interested in a contour lines set for my Europe map. I have tried to combine your srtm set with some tiles of mine and it def. looks better.
How much Gb is a Europe set? I use google docs (20 gb for $5 per year). How much time will it roughly take to generate them?

I thought you use the osm.nl webspace?

I am also interested in contour line for more European countries, with the holidays coming this summer. I can imagine more people are interested in generic contour lines for use with other maps.

I even considered to generate srtm-based garmin maps to combine with Lambertus’ maps. That data is quite static, so it should not be much work to maintain. But when other people already have scripts to do so, there is not much need to reinvent the wheel.

I’m using osm.nl too but I’d need to move the Europe set (too much bandwidth). Maybe Lambertus has some space left on his server to store a European srtm set? If someone would like to generate one I’d be happy to host it on my google docs account.

Depends on how much data it will be in the end. At first I have to download all the sources, most of them are still not in my cache. Then it depends on the number of nodes. If it are more than the tilesplitter can handle, it will become pretty complicated.

The script to collect all the data is already running. I think beginning of next week I can say more. Let’s see.

Thorsten

I’m looking forward to see the results! :sunglasses:

Ok, with the europe.poly from geofabrik the map is 5.1GB, that’s too much :frowning: Looks like I have to split the map into two parts.

Does somebody know a better poly file for europe? The one from geofabrik has far too much outside.

Thorsten

5,1 Gb in osm xml format? Or img?
Maybe you can use the cloudmade europe.poly?
http://downloads.cloudmade.com/europe/europe.poly

5.1 GB for the img. I created my own poly file yesterday and now the input data is only 4GB, so I’m optimistic that I will have something working this evening.

Thorsten

Ok, the resulting gmapsupp.img is again over 4GB. Have too look at it tonight to see how I can splitt it into two parts.

Maybe you can just zip it as folder with individual img’s with an installer exe / tdb file / overview map img to install it under Windows?
Mac users can install this zip file to gmap format with the Javawa Mapinstaller.

Hi,

ok, a first version of a SRTM map for Europe can be found here: TK-Europe-SRTM.7z

It contains an installer for Windows and a gmapsupp.img you can copy directly onto the device. Yes, I was able to get the img smaller than 4GB :).
Haven’t tested it yet on my device yet, but in MapSource it looks good.

Thorsten

cool, I’ll try it out on my next Europe update. Can I have your permission to recycle those tiles? :slight_smile:

Yes, you can.

Thorsten

Thanks! :slight_smile:

It looks good (I had to remove one of you other mapsets (Benelux srtm) first because of conflicting Family ID numbers, but now I can see the map in Mapsource). Can’t load it in Basecamp as image file on my virtual disk drive, probably it is too large… Havent tried it on the GPS yet.

Ok, the family ID of the Benelux srtm was wrong :frowning: Fixed now the database, so that the next build should have a correct one.

The custom map server is moving to another server due to problems with the network load. This might take about two days starting April 4th, so please be patient.

A note: the new server has much inferior CPU performance compared to the old server so I expect longer queues now and then. I hope this can be lessened a bit by more clever programming on my part so please pray/twist thumbs I can unleash some clever php-fu on the scripts. Don’t expect too much though… Maybe I’ll start using some of the advanced stuff Ligfietser has used to reduce the amount of compressing for his cycle maps.

I hope this server switch eliminates the frequent server crashes we had during the last year or so.

Does this mean you will implement the SRTM map in the next Europe Update?

Yes, very soon I will put it online, the first results are looking very good (thanks to Thorsten for his help compiling them). Maybe I’ll put them also as separate map so you can combine them as well with Lambertus map on the GPS.

Looking indeed very good! Allready combined the map for test and i was also impressed by the result.
Just another brief question:
By creating a route in Mapsource, i noticed it uses the default “Knooppunten” by creating a route. Is it possible to avoid this?