Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Don’t know, really.

No. These files are not input for Mkgmap but are produced by Mkgmap if you pass the required parameters.

Below is my command co merge the images into a gmapsupp:

java -Xmx2048M -jar mkgmap.jar  
--index 
--overview-mapname=63240000 
--series-name='OSM World Routable ($version)' 
--latin1 
--description='OSM World Routable' 
--product-id=3 
--family-name='OSM World Routable' 
--family-id=2000 
--tdbfile 
--nsis 
--gmapsupp 
*324*.img 
$typMkgmap

$version = a string containing a data, e.g. “10-02-2012”
$typMkgmap = a path to a TYP file (when given)

On the Dutch forum I just published a small dos batch script that can combine Lambertus gmapsupp’s into one single mapset for Mapsource or Basecamp:
http://mijndev.openstreetmap.nl/~ligfietser/diverse/OSM_Combi.zip

The readme.txt file is written in Dutch but since you understand some of the basics of mkgmap its not too hard to understand how this works.

For Lambertus Maps you only need to change the typ file in the mkgmap.bat file (set typfile= (empty for none, or mapnik.txt) because the default is for my OFM maps). You can also change the FID (default is 20122) and mapset name to your choice (default is OSM_combi). You can also add gmapsupp to the resources\mkgmap.args file to make one gmapsupp file of the whole combined mapset (please note that the last line in this file must be an empty line!).

In the Input folder you put the different gmapsupp’s that you want to combine. Gmt.exe will unpack these and put the single img’s in the Map folder.
You can also put the single tiles in the Map folder but dont include the index files there. After the gmt process mkgmap.jar will create the index files (and a gmapsupp if specified).

Installation of the mapset in the Map folder can be done either by running/compiling the nsi file (with nsis) or Mapsettoolkit or Javawa’s Mapconverter.

This method can also be used for including contour lines on Lambertus maps, but in Mapsource the contours are not always visible, in Basecamp the rendering is better.
Also other layers are possible, like hiking or cycling route layers, which can be downloaded from other osm sources (Note: both typ files must be compatible!)

Have fun!

Nice work Ligfietser. Really nice work!

Thanks Lambertus,
Maybe this was kind like the plan you had in mind how the users can make their own mapsets by downloading your tiles?
This script is not very user friendly / dummy proof so if anyone out there can improve it by making a better user friendly interface, be my guest.

Well, sort of, but in a very user friendly / dummy proof way :wink: But you created your script and I didn’t create mine so you’re way ahead!

Btw, do you see what I see?

/hint: it’s blue…

Ah the ice has melted?! :smiley:
I will have a look…

Hello.

The tile (AR-Cordoba) covering the Argentine cities of Rosario, Santa Fe and Cordoba is completely blue like the sea in my Nuvi. Roads appear correctly, but parks or vegetation are missing.

I downloaded “AR-Cordoba” along with other tiles from the Southern Cone from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/. Data is from 10-02-2012.

Thanks.

Since this tile is completely land covered I suspect there is wrong data in OSM: (a broken) natural=coastline.
The geofabrik tool for inspecting the coast line only is valid for the EU so I think you have to search for this yourself.

Lambertus, maybe add floodblocker in the scripts next time: --generate-sea=multipolygon,extend-sea-sectors,close-gaps=6000,floodblocker

I had a lot of flooding problems while rendering my own Garmin maps, when i started to render the sea.
The problems are completely gone, since i started using the coastline files in the mkgmap phase:
http://www.fabianowski.eu/osm/coastlines/
Maybe this is an option for Lambertus too?

The costline files only helps if the coastlines are correct. But especially in the east of canada, there are quite some coastlines wrong. Automatic imports are not always a good idea. In this situation the coastline files will not help at all.

I would only use coastline files if I have to use an extract where the coastline files are not complete. Else I haven’t seen a difference yet.

Thorsten

As the AR-Cordoba is a land-only tile (it does not cover part of the ocean) I think this is because a lake or riverbank polygon is not closed. But I could be wrong ofcourse.

Edit: oops, I’m late to the party. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I hope that flooding problems in my maps will result in improved OSM coastlines…

@UliBär, I have tried some of Fabianowski’s Full planet coastlines but those made mkgmap crash…

@Lambertus,that blue is the sea polygon (0x32) in tile 63241589.img when you open it with gpsmapedit. So there must be some coastline wandering around on the Argentina Pampa’s :wink:
I think Wanmils’ floodblocker will help in this case.

Thanks for checking Ligfietser. I will add the floodblocker option on the next update.

Tested a few tiles from the UK & Netherlands, the sea looks pretty good!

There is one remarkable tile in the UK set that doesn’t belong there (Greece/Cyprus):
http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/10-02-2012/63241013.img

Great!

That has always been the case, as Cyprus is part of the UK in the CIA files I’m using to identify which tile belongs to which country. Never took the trouble of removing Cyprus from the UK polygon file.

You better admit that you are afraid of Greekish or Turkish hatemail if you put this island in one of those countries sets? Cyprus is since 1960 not part of the UK :wink:

Hahaha, perhaps I could offer them to come over and drink some tea together.

:slight_smile:

I wrote a linux script based on this OSM_Combi bat script.
Don’t have the gmapsupp’s atm, will test it tomorrow, if it works i’ll post the script here.

The generated sea wasn’t visible in the mapnik.typ file (wrong draw order priorities) so I updated the typ file:
http://mijndev.openstreetmap.nl/~ligfietser/diverse/mapnik.typ(r2160).zip

In this zip file you can find two versions of this typ file, one with the default line types (mapnik-p.typ) and one with the mapnik coloured styles line types (mapnik-l.typ).

The first shows only the polygons in the mapnik colours, because the lines in the mapnik-l.typ has a fixed pixel width at all zoom levels and this looks uglier at lower zoomlevels (roads are too fat):

mapnik-l.typ

mapnik-p.typ / mapnik.typ

Hello,

I downloaded for the first time into my Garmin Nuvi the maps generated here and I have a request to make if it is at all possible.
Can the map be generated without the “woods”?
What I mean is that I live in a rural area surrounded by woods everywhere which translates into green spots on the GPS which makes the roads very hard to see.
I think if these maps are to be used for Car Gps they should just display roads, names, railways, water bodies, airports, golf courses, and perhaps buidlings and pois and such.
The map should be uncluttered imo.
Anyway thanks for offering these maps I really appreciate them.

Heres what it looks like around me… can you see the roads?