Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Hi Lambertus,

Great routable maps. Thanks for your hard work.

On your site it says ‘Note: Map update in process.’. I assume that’s why the USA is not showing at the moment. How long to the updates normally take as I’m off to the US soon and was hoping to take some of the maps for my Garmin with me.

Thanks
Dean

Indeed: America’s tiles are being rendered right now. Should be ready in a few hours.

Update: no I’m mistaken, something is wrong with the resulting files from splitter. Gunzip complains about: “73240286.osm.gz: unexpected end of file” and it appears to do that with every file. I’m afraid I won’t have new tiles for the America’s within the next day(s).

Thank you for your quick response. Do you already know hen you will probably have fixed this problem? (that cities and other points cannot be searched with the find engine of mapsource)

Mkgmap is not developed by me, so I would not know the answer to that.

Thanks for the update. I will keeps my eyes open for the new ones.

Dean

hi Lambertus,

first of all thank you very much for all your effort. this is the most complete osm routable map location i’ve found on the web. i’ve downloaded the Australia Victoria img file and set my location to Melbourne. i was able to simulate driving from the melbourne international airport to armadale apartments… however, when i try to simulate from the aiport to a certain street name (ie great ocean road / williams road) my garmin nuvi 255w says NO MATCH FOUND.

is it that the map can’t route by street name / address? just POI? fyi, i put the img file into SD card and manage to load the map but my unit basemap is Malaysia / singapore. any advice is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

There are a lot of posts in this topic so I guess it’s easy to miss stuff :wink: But yes, searching addresses does not work very well yet. Can you try the methods described in this post?

Hallo,

Have noticed that in the map on the OSM main consideration when routing way streets are not taken into account!
As an example, in Vienna Bez 21st Menger Lane (coordinates: N48 15,480 E16 24,372 to N48 15,359 E16 24,597), as is directly routed to the one-way! Auto / Motorcycle, not avoidance.
Why take account of the OSM World Routable map no way streets?

Stefan

I hope, this is the right forum!

The routable Garmin maps do respect oneway restrictions. Perhaps it is a recent edit which is not in the maps yet or a tagging problem. Can you post a permalink www.openstreetmap.org?

How I can send a link with the correct detailmap?

Edit: o.k. Ifound it.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/8014468/history

Would it be easy to create a FAQ or on your website or create a sticky for this here.

Perhaps it is a recent edit which is not in the maps yet or a tagging problem.
Indeed! The street was tagged with -1! I have it corrected on yes!

I’ll update the start post.

I think your edit is false. oneway=-1 means that the oneway direction is against the drawing direction of the way. With oneway=yes you effectively say that the oneway is in the direction of the way. While yes and no might be easier to read, 0, 1 and -1 provide more accurate information about the oneway status. I only use the numeric values while mapping.

Apart from the mapping error: yes, no, true, false, 0, 1 and -1 all should be handled correctly in Mkgmap.

I have the info from: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:oneway

In addition to any highway=* tags on the road the tag oneway=yes is added. Make sure the way points in the same direction as the oneway goes.

And, in my example http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/8014468/history

If the one-way street in MapSource not taken into account.

Did you read the rest of the page too?

So my statement still stands, unless you also did:

So you may alter a oneway street from -1 to yes but only if you also turn the way around (reverse it).

Did you read the rest of the page too?

Yes!

And, in my example, the direction of the way in OSM is right! And in the downloaded map can be routed in both directions. Please look :http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/8014468/history

I cannot judge from the history if the way has also been reversed when you switched from yes to -1 and back to yes while also reversing the way. This is a pointless discussion. What I was trying to tell you that oneway=-1 is a valid value which implies the oneway direction is against the way direction as a response to you claiming that -1 is a tagging problem. I hope we agree on this. The rest is up to Mkgmap.

I was under the assumption that oneway=-1 would be supported by Mkgmap, which is apparently not the case, but will be very soon:

I will use this switch and mkgmap in the next map update.

Looks like the http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php page is broken. It has said “Map update in process” for over 12 hours.

Yes, unfortunately that’s true. The webserver serving the completed requests went down and now that is has come back it refuses to show the directory which contains the garmin maps. The maps are present though, so something is still wrong with the webserver. I don’t have admin access on that box so I have to wait until the tech staff of my hoster has time to fix it.