Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

There is some misunderstanding here. I have never done any updates to the Mkgmap stylesheet nor do I plan to, to be honest. I made a promise that mapping, the forum, yournavigation.org and the Garmin map generation is enough contribution to OSM (before it completely takes over my life). I leave Mkgmap development to others.

Oh, then I really misunderstood something. I thought itÂ’s you who provides a style sheet to Mkgmap while generating the map via Mkgmap. What I wonder now is, who will care about the problem as described?

Could you imagine, that I was able to contribute to enhance the mapgeneration - though I’m quite infamiliar with Mkgmap ?

Normal style-file can’t provide good pedestrian routing, because the “pedestrian” setting on Garmin GPS is simply not working like people expect it to work. What it does is simply allowing more ways (like footways) to be taken into the routing, and not respecting oneway streets or turn-restrictions. It does not change the priority - meaning speed and road class of ways however (or incorrectly). Therefore a highway will still be prefered over a footway if they run side by side even though you switched to pedestrian routing in the menu setting.

To get proper pedestrian (or also bicylce, mountainbiking, hiking) routing you have to change roadclass and speedclass so that it fits the user class and use the GPS in Car/Motorcycle setting cause that’s the only one that works correctly. (maybe emergency does work nicely too, I’m playing around with it). You therefore have to exclude any motorways or trunk roads from the routable types.

Difficult solution for a problem that seems simple. But as Garmin didn’t think alot (because they don’t offer any maps that provide pedestrian routing - the routable topos produce crap routing) when designing firmware of units and maps we have to go this way. This also means I switch maps when I change from mountainbike/hiking to my car to get back. Because a map suitable for hiking can’t work for caruse. I’m trying to get my maps working good for bycicling too - but that’s not easy.

Wow, that explains a lot of my and others experiences with the routable maps. Thank you for sharing this with us. What do you think of teaming up (after I’ve moved and settled ofcourse) to provide maps for foot, bike and car specific routing? It looks like you have the routing stuff well figured out and I have the flexible map combining and worldwide coverage… combined that could give amazing results!

To make the first step: I’m willing to get the website and map making toolchain into SVN :slight_smile:

Hi Lambertus,

Great routable maps. Thanks for your hard work.

On your site it says ‘Note: Map update in process.’. I assume that’s why the USA is not showing at the moment. How long to the updates normally take as I’m off to the US soon and was hoping to take some of the maps for my Garmin with me.

Thanks
Dean

Indeed: America’s tiles are being rendered right now. Should be ready in a few hours.

Update: no I’m mistaken, something is wrong with the resulting files from splitter. Gunzip complains about: “73240286.osm.gz: unexpected end of file” and it appears to do that with every file. I’m afraid I won’t have new tiles for the America’s within the next day(s).

Thank you for your quick response. Do you already know hen you will probably have fixed this problem? (that cities and other points cannot be searched with the find engine of mapsource)

Mkgmap is not developed by me, so I would not know the answer to that.

Thanks for the update. I will keeps my eyes open for the new ones.

Dean

hi Lambertus,

first of all thank you very much for all your effort. this is the most complete osm routable map location i’ve found on the web. i’ve downloaded the Australia Victoria img file and set my location to Melbourne. i was able to simulate driving from the melbourne international airport to armadale apartments… however, when i try to simulate from the aiport to a certain street name (ie great ocean road / williams road) my garmin nuvi 255w says NO MATCH FOUND.

is it that the map can’t route by street name / address? just POI? fyi, i put the img file into SD card and manage to load the map but my unit basemap is Malaysia / singapore. any advice is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

There are a lot of posts in this topic so I guess it’s easy to miss stuff :wink: But yes, searching addresses does not work very well yet. Can you try the methods described in this post?

Hallo,

Have noticed that in the map on the OSM main consideration when routing way streets are not taken into account!
As an example, in Vienna Bez 21st Menger Lane (coordinates: N48 15,480 E16 24,372 to N48 15,359 E16 24,597), as is directly routed to the one-way! Auto / Motorcycle, not avoidance.
Why take account of the OSM World Routable map no way streets?

Stefan

I hope, this is the right forum!

The routable Garmin maps do respect oneway restrictions. Perhaps it is a recent edit which is not in the maps yet or a tagging problem. Can you post a permalink www.openstreetmap.org?

How I can send a link with the correct detailmap?

Edit: o.k. Ifound it.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/8014468/history

Would it be easy to create a FAQ or on your website or create a sticky for this here.

Perhaps it is a recent edit which is not in the maps yet or a tagging problem.
Indeed! The street was tagged with -1! I have it corrected on yes!

I’ll update the start post.

I think your edit is false. oneway=-1 means that the oneway direction is against the drawing direction of the way. With oneway=yes you effectively say that the oneway is in the direction of the way. While yes and no might be easier to read, 0, 1 and -1 provide more accurate information about the oneway status. I only use the numeric values while mapping.

Apart from the mapping error: yes, no, true, false, 0, 1 and -1 all should be handled correctly in Mkgmap.

I have the info from: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:oneway

In addition to any highway=* tags on the road the tag oneway=yes is added. Make sure the way points in the same direction as the oneway goes.

And, in my example http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/8014468/history

If the one-way street in MapSource not taken into account.

Did you read the rest of the page too?

So my statement still stands, unless you also did:

So you may alter a oneway street from -1 to yes but only if you also turn the way around (reverse it).

Did you read the rest of the page too?

Yes!

And, in my example, the direction of the way in OSM is right! And in the downloaded map can be routed in both directions. Please look :http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/8014468/history